Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    omfg. I just went thru the sources of revenue! please stop with these unsourced anecdotes about FIFA pies! if they exist they are not material to the overall revenue of USSF.

and look, yes, the women did a great job of getting some concessions in their last CBA, but let's face it, they started from such a crappy position (artificial turf anyone?) that just getting something was something. it's not like these women have a lot of free time to act as their own CBA advocates.

the broader issue is why is everyone up in arms about this? we have the most successful women's soccer team in history, winners of 3 world cups and 4 gold medals. girls make up, i dunno, half the soccer players in our country. equal pay for equal work isn't a difficult concept, and is actually the law.
    Yet employers find legal (and illegal) ways to get around that all the time. The WNBA doesn't get paid at the same rates as the NBA. There are many ways to structure pay and this is just one example of that. It's similar to one sales person who brings in more revenue getting paid more than one who brings in less. They were champions already when they negotiated the last deal so they had leverage then. Get a better negotiator on their side next time. I agree the turf fields and other minor things are petty digs at the women.

Comment

I mean if Lifetime can't even justify broadcasting games....
      The #1 womens TV network in US cannot even get 20k viewers on a Sat afternoon.

The question is do people watch womens WC because of patriotism to support the US or out of love and appreciation for the sport? Given dismal ratings for NCAA, NWSL, non WC games, etc., I would think its patriotism. It's not like there are millions of curling or biathlon fans who are dying to watch coverage of this year's final in Finland... people watch to support USA or out of curiosity. nobody watches womens soccer because they just dont care. Therefore there is no reason to pay players a premium.

Comment

Look at the details of the latest lawsuit..it describes how the WNT was more profitable than the MNT and were significantly paid less during a certain period. It's not a cut and dry issue, hence the commercials and noise.

Comment

Look at the details of the latest lawsuit..it describes how the WNT was more profitable than the MNT and were significantly paid less during a certain period. It's not a cut and dry issue, hence the commercials and noise.
          Of course they were more profitable because they were paid less you moron

Comment

Yet employers find legal (and illegal) ways to get around that all the time. The WNBA doesn't get paid at the same rates as the NBA. There are many ways to structure pay and this is just one example of that. It's similar to one sales person who brings in more revenue getting paid more than one who brings in less. They were champions already when they negotiated the last deal so they had leverage then. Get a better negotiator on their side next time. I agree the turf fields and other minor things are petty digs at the women.
            This isn’t Dunder Mifflin dude. Please stop comparing a private organization to a quasi governmental monopoly. I am not arguing they should be paid more in the NWSL than MLS. I am arguing that the women’s side of our only National Team should be paid the same as the men’s side of our only National Team. Why? Because that’s literally the law.

Comment

The #1 womens TV network in US cannot even get 20k viewers on a Sat afternoon.

The question is do people watch womens WC because of patriotism to support the US or out of love and appreciation for the sport? Given dismal ratings for NCAA, NWSL, non WC games, etc., I would think its patriotism. It's not like there are millions of curling or biathlon fans who are dying to watch coverage of this year's final in Finland... people watch to support USA or out of curiosity. nobody watches womens soccer because they just dont care. Therefore there is no reason to pay players a premium.
              We’re not talking NWSL here.

Guess what the most watched soccer game of all tome in America?

Yeah, the 2015 final of the women’s World Cup, starring guess who, the USWNT. 23 million Americans chose to watch that game.

Comment

Yeah, the 2015 final of the women’s World Cup, starring guess who, the USWNT. 23 million Americans chose to watch that game.
                And the second most was a USMNT WC group stage match against Portugal

Comment

Maybe simplistic but why dont they just split into two. US Soccer mens and US soccer womens.

I agree that the women should be paid more and given additional considerations. If they run their own organization there would less bureaucracy to get things done. Also the men would realize that they are being subsidized by the women and their on going success.

Comment

But i bet commercials were not as expensive as they are for a regular world cup game that does not even include the US mens team. Brazil, Italy, England and even Mexico subsidize the US mens national team.

In the womens next contract they should just submit a copy of the mens contract verbatum. No negotiating and no bargaining.

Comment

But i bet commercials were not as expensive as they are for a regular world cup game that does not even include the US mens team. Brazil, Italy, England and even Mexico subsidize the US mens national team.

In the womens next contract they should just submit a copy of the mens contract verbatum. No negotiating and no bargaining.
                      Which again goes to USSF's argument - the pay structure isn't based on accomplishments but revenues. Half the world - 3.5Billion people watched at least some of the men's WC last year. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/21/worl...ournament.html. In contrast the 2015 women's cup had 750M worldwide. https://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/...iewers-2745963

11.8M watched the men's final in the US in 2018 despite the US not being in the game or even in the event at all. One would hope the figures would double for the UWMNT being in the final, no?

Comment

omfg. I just went thru the sources of revenue! please stop with these unsourced anecdotes about FIFA pies! if they exist they are not material to the overall revenue of USSF.

and look, yes, the women did a great job of getting some concessions in their last CBA, but let's face it, they started from such a crappy position (artificial turf anyone?) that just getting something was something. it's not like these women have a lot of free time to act as their own CBA advocates.

the broader issue is why is everyone up in arms about this? we have the most successful women's soccer team in history, winners of 3 world cups and 4 gold medals. girls make up, i dunno, half the soccer players in our country. equal pay for equal work isn't a difficult concept, and is actually the law.
                        Clearly not a lawyer nor a logical person. They cannot and should not receive equal pay if the revenue is not there. It’s why actors on certain shows get the big $$$ while others do not. And guess what? They do the same work. It’s always about demand and revenue. If they generated the same income, then of course they should receive the same pay, but since they do not, they shouldn’t. Equal pay just because they feel they’re entitled to it is not a thing. Is it really that difficult of a concept for you to understand?

Comment

Clearly not a lawyer nor a logical person. They cannot and should not receive equal pay if the revenue is not there. It’s why actors on certain shows get the big $$$ while others do not. And guess what? They do the same work. It’s always about demand and revenue. If they generated the same income, then of course they should receive the same pay, but since they do not, they shouldn’t. Equal pay just because they feel they’re entitled to it is not a thing. Is it really that difficult of a concept for you to understand?
                          Add to that: it's the agreement they signed.

Comment

In no way is women's soccer and men's soccer "equal work". That is just absurd.

Comment

Equal pay

I have seen it first hand....hrs spent training for both sides....pretty much same. at the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.

Comment

Not in terms of training, games etc they're both very similar. It's performance and revenues where they're very different.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X