Talking-Soccer.com

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > Massachusetts > Mass TS REGISTERED

Notices

Mass TS REGISTERED You asked for it, only registered users. All registrations MUST be approved and no duplicates will be allowed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-05-2012
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default New England and National D1 Womens Soccer (only please)

Since it seems ulikely that the adu talk won't end on the other thread, I will opem a new one to discuss womens D1 soccer
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-05-2012
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Since it seems ulikely that the adu talk won't end on the other thread, I will opem a new one to discuss womens D1 soccer
You started out with a lot of errors. Aside from the typos, I think you meant to say 'unlikely that the Adu talk will end' on the other thread.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-05-2012
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

BC beats Northeastern 2-0. Not sure what the problem was with the game stats. NU kept it close into the 2d, but BC dominated most of the game and finally broke through late in the game. It doesn't get easier for the Huskies who get Dayton on Sunday. BC may have its most difficult NL test against a 5-1 UCF team that actually has a better unadjusted RPI than the Eagles. Plus is that it is on Chestnut Hill, minus is that UCF will be well rested with a week off before the Sunday match. UCF is probably the nation's best mid-major side (Conf. USA) and a win for Foley will be a big RPI boost before the ACC wars.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-05-2012
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

U Mass has the toughest schedule this weekend with matches against Wake Forest and Virginia Tech. They need to pick one of the two off if they want any chance at an at-large bid in November. Obviously no easy task as these are both Top 20 teams - maybe Top 10. Based on the early season results it is going to be tough, but U Mass has shown an ability in the past to score early and hold on. That is the only recipe for a win against either of these two teams.

Wake has been suspect so far and it has to be more than just missing Stengel. A Loss to UNC Greensboro after a tie to UNC Wilmington offers the Minutewomen some hope, but this is a pre-season Nat Champ favorite and eventually it will come together for them. U Mass has to hope that doesn't happen Friday. Virginia Tech is 6-0 but hasn't played a particularly strong NL slate, but they are a solid ACC side (middle third of the pack) and they will be a tough side to upset - especially after a tough contest Friday against Big 10 Illinois. I think VT will be pretty physical and direct, which may be a more difficult challenge for U Mass than the possession oriented Deamon Deacons.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-06-2012
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Lots of talk about what it will take for BU to get an at-large bid to the NCAA Tourney. The factors playing against BU aren't unique (even if their current situation with the AE is). It is very difficult for any team not affiliated with a "Big 7" conference to earn an AL Bid. Last year only 4-5 of the 43 at large teams came from so called "mid-majors". In New England there are really only three mid-majors (BU, Northeastern and U Mass) that realistically enter the season with any sort of chance for an at-large bid. Harvard (and other Ivies) have an outside chance but basically if they meet the requirements - they would probably win the Ivy League auto bid anyway. Obviously BC, U Conn and Providence are in Big 7 Conferences, so they have a better chance for an AL spot.

So what does it take? First you will need an end of season (including conference play-offs) RPI in the top 50 and more likely one better than 45. That usually means that you will need at least 28 points (on a twenty game schedule) So its possible to get and RPI under 45 with 5 losses in the regular season and at least one win in your tourney, but you will need more. First, you need a big trophy head on the wall. Meaning either an upset of a top 20 team or at least a couple ties with big time programs. Next you can't lose to a sub 150 side. Lose to a poor conference or NL foe and you are in trouble with the selection committee. Finally, you need strong late season performance, which obviously means a good run in-conference and hopefully an appearance in the conference final.

Another consideration, which is beyond the control of any team, is the demographics of the first 55 in. Establishing those top 55 (auto bids and top 35 RPIs) is easy and how they shape up geographically does play a part for the bubble teams. The NCAA pays for travel and is simply unwilling to ship teams any distance for the first round. But basicallyif you come down to a half dozen teams with similar profiles, the committe usually goes with a team from a big conference because they typically fare better in the first rounds.

So where does this leave BU, Northeastern and U Mass? BU and U Mass have some of those "big Trophies" still left on their schedule, but time is getting short and both and they desperately need an upset this weekend. Northeastern is probably not talented enough for much of a legitimate shot - although technically their schedule still marginally allows for it but they will need to upset Dayton and run the table in the Colonial. The 9/14 BU vs U Mass game will obviously be critical to both sides. U Mass can likely survive a BU loss (if they steal a point this weekend) because they still have Dayton on the league schedule and a chance for nice wins in their A-10 Tourney. Not so for BU, whose loss to Dayton and tie with Harvard probably leaves them in a must-win against U Mass, but they have to upset either Stanford or Santa Clara this weekend to even get to that point.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-06-2012
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The college game is so physical and such a high contact/collision sport now that players drop left and right, thus a very deep bench is a key to having a successful season as many players will likely have to contribute in certain games.
I didn't want to hijack the D3 college rosters thread, so I imported this quote from there to here. I saw BC play for the first time last night, against Northeastern, and I don't remember ever seeing as physical a BC team. BC's overall physical edge was astounding. Many of the BC players ran to the ball with their elbows held out and menacingly high, something I haven't noted so much before (as if they needed the extra edge).

And yes, there was plenty of contact and collisions, and players did drop left and right, on both sides. Northeastern wasn't shy about running to the ball, either. Fortunately, no one seemed to be seriously hurt. (The ref let both teams play a hard-nosed game, but I thought he was fair and kept the game under control.) Northeastern, coming in 1-3, played gallantly in keeping the game scoreless until the 75th minute.

I can't remember a BC team I enjoyed watching less, although maybe that was because of the mismatch. Not many skills were on display from players not named Mewis or Morrison. Beautiful game? No, bullies' game.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-06-2012
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I didn't want to hijack the D3 college rosters thread, so I imported this quote from there to here. I saw BC play for the first time last night, against Northeastern, and I don't remember ever seeing as physical a BC team. BC's overall physical edge was astounding. Many of the BC players ran to the ball with their elbows held out and menacingly high, something I haven't noted so much before (as if they needed the extra edge).

And yes, there was plenty of contact and collisions, and players did drop left and right, on both sides. Northeastern wasn't shy about running to the ball, either. Fortunately, no one seemed to be seriously hurt. (The ref let both teams play a hard-nosed game, but I thought he was fair and kept the game under control.) Northeastern, coming in 1-3, played gallantly in keeping the game scoreless until the 75th minute.

I can't remember a BC team I enjoyed watching less, although maybe that was because of the mismatch. Not many skills were on display from players not named Mewis or Morrison. Beautiful game? No, bullies' game.
Intersting observations. NU had a 19-11 foul edge (plus a YC), so it really should have appeared that NU was the more physically agressive side? I wasn't at the game (but have seen the Eagles twice this year), and have found them to be more a retaliatory type of team, or even a little "dirty" so the elbows up comment doesn't surprise me. They certainly have some players who do not like to be physically challenged and my guess is that the Huskies took it to them early on and kept it up until the first BC goal.

This is an example why games against lesser New England opponents are meaningless and valueless for the Eagles. No one in the ACC will resemble NU, not NC State, not Clemson, so they played a physical team, intent on roughing the Eagles up... with nothing to gain. My guess is that their Unadj RPI actually went down with the win. Had NU held on for another 25 minutes (slim chance I know) but if they did... its huge for NU - but probably only impacts BC marginally, although it could knock them out of a top 4 or 8 seed!! BC has very little choice about this, as they must fill out their schedule so the games with teams like NU, BU and Harvard (their "beanpot" rivals") are going to stay, but they add nothing for a top team.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-06-2012
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Sorry you BC- ACC elites have to play lowly New England opponents whom add nothing to your self-anointed wonderfulness. What gall; NU holding you scoreless for 75 minutes, or UConn taking 3 different leads before recognizing your superiority and bowing in deference. You better mail your press clippings and individual accolades across the Charles so Harvard is prepared to roll over and let you signal your dominance.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-06-2012
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Intersting observations. NU had a 19-11 foul edge (plus a YC), so it really should have appeared that NU was the more physically agressive side? I wasn't at the game (but have seen the Eagles twice this year), and have found them to be more a retaliatory type of team, or even a little "dirty" so the elbows up comment doesn't surprise me. They certainly have some players who do not like to be physically challenged and my guess is that the Huskies took it to them early on and kept it up until the first BC goal.

This is an example why games against lesser New England opponents are meaningless and valueless for the Eagles. No one in the ACC will resemble NU, not NC State, not Clemson, so they played a physical team, intent on roughing the Eagles up... with nothing to gain. My guess is that their Unadj RPI actually went down with the win. Had NU held on for another 25 minutes (slim chance I know) but if they did... its huge for NU - but probably only impacts BC marginally, although it could knock them out of a top 4 or 8 seed!! BC has very little choice about this, as they must fill out their schedule so the games with teams like NU, BU and Harvard (their "beanpot" rivals") are going to stay, but they add nothing for a top team.
Yes, BC dominated all the stats except fouls. Northeastern was aggressive going after the ball, but being overall a smaller team, they didn't seem intent on roughing the Eagles up. I came away admiring NU and their effort to keep attacking. Perhaps they committed more fouls when they got behind. The yellow card was committed late and surprised me, but the ref was right on top of the play.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-06-2012
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Lots of talk about what it will take for BU to get an at-large bid to the NCAA Tourney. The factors playing against BU aren't unique (even if their current situation with the AE is). It is very difficult for any team not affiliated with a "Big 7" conference to earn an AL Bid. Last year only 4-5 of the 43 at large teams came from so called "mid-majors". In New England there are really only three mid-majors (BU, Northeastern and U Mass) that realistically enter the season with any sort of chance for an at-large bid. Harvard (and other Ivies) have an outside chance but basically if they meet the requirements - they would probably win the Ivy League auto bid anyway. Obviously BC, U Conn and Providence are in Big 7 Conferences, so they have a better chance for an AL spot.

So what does it take? First you will need an end of season (including conference play-offs) RPI in the top 50 and more likely one better than 45. That usually means that you will need at least 28 points (on a twenty game schedule) So its possible to get and RPI under 45 with 5 losses in the regular season and at least one win in your tourney, but you will need more. First, you need a big trophy head on the wall. Meaning either an upset of a top 20 team or at least a couple ties with big time programs. Next you can't lose to a sub 150 side. Lose to a poor conference or NL foe and you are in trouble with the selection committee. Finally, you need strong late season performance, which obviously means a good run in-conference and hopefully an appearance in the conference final.

Another consideration, which is beyond the control of any team, is the demographics of the first 55 in. Establishing those top 55 (auto bids and top 35 RPIs) is easy and how they shape up geographically does play a part for the bubble teams. The NCAA pays for travel and is simply unwilling to ship teams any distance for the first round. But basicallyif you come down to a half dozen teams with similar profiles, the committe usually goes with a team from a big conference because they typically fare better in the first rounds.

So where does this leave BU, Northeastern and U Mass? BU and U Mass have some of those "big Trophies" still left on their schedule, but time is getting short and both and they desperately need an upset this weekend. Northeastern is probably not talented enough for much of a legitimate shot - although technically their schedule still marginally allows for it but they will need to upset Dayton and run the table in the Colonial. The 9/14 BU vs U Mass game will obviously be critical to both sides. U Mass can likely survive a BU loss (if they steal a point this weekend) because they still have Dayton on the league schedule and a chance for nice wins in their A-10 Tourney. Not so for BU, whose loss to Dayton and tie with Harvard probably leaves them in a must-win against U Mass, but they have to upset either Stanford or Santa Clara this weekend to even get to that point.
These are big games for both BU and U Mass. All four opponents: Stanford, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech and Santa Clara will get into the NCAA Tourney and I think Wake and Stanford are both National Champion contenders. It would be nice to see our local sides "steal" a few points from a couple of Big Time Programs! Good luck to the locals this Weekend!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New England and National D1 Womens Soccer (only please) Unregistered Massachusetts 3155 05-30-2014 06:29 PM
Peru's Womens National Soccer Team Tryouts Unregistered New Jersey 0 06-09-2010 10:48 PM
Peru's Womens National Soccer Team Tryouts Unregistered New York 0 06-09-2010 10:47 PM
Peru's Womens National Soccer Team Tryouts in Florida soccerperu Florida 3 05-11-2010 03:33 PM
Peru's Womens National Soccer Team Tryouts in Florida soccerperu California 0 05-11-2010 12:48 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.