Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you only go to ID camps when you've been seen?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you only go to ID camps when you've been seen?

My 2021 has a list of 12 schools she's interested. From my research it seems like she should only go to the ones where the coach has watched her play. Is this correct?

I think the answer is "it depends ". If she really is interested in a school why not email the coach introducing herself, perhaps with video, and see what the response is?

My son just attended a NESCAC camp recently, and the coach made it clear he already had the first set of offers out/about to go out, and depending on how that shook out, he would be making a second set of offers in August. He had to have seen the 1st set of players before this summer, so my two cents is it's good to be seen this summer to get on a coach's radar.

However, if it is too difficult/expensive/much of a long shot, maybe don't go.

Comment

It definitely depends. Sometimes there is just no way for a coach to have seen your kid, so this may be his or her first opportunity. If there is a lot travel or cost involved, I would not go unless it is really one of your child’s top schools, but send an introductory email with video and credentials, and see how it goes. Sometimes it’s exactly what they need to get on the radar. Also a short cheap ID Clinic at a local to you school is sometimes a great way just to get their feet wet. You don’t even have to send an email.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        My 2021 has a list of 12 schools she's interested. From my research it seems like she should only go to the ones where the coach has watched her play. Is this correct?
        I'll add another depends: they may have seen her but aren't interested. Has she started any correspondence with them? Have they reached out to her, and not just a generic camp invite? Are you sure they've seen her?

anyway, above is also correct: target most likely fits, hopefully not to much $ or travel.

Comment

Op here. Thank you for the feedback.

Comment

You can go to any camp, known or unknown.

Comment

You can go to any camp, known or unknown.
              Just because you *can* doesn't mean you *should*.

Comment

You should go wherever you want to go. Of course, it would be a college of interest.

Just because you *can* doesn't mean you *should*.

Comment

You should go wherever you want to go. Of course, it would be a college of interest.
                  But if you stand little or no chance of getting noticed is it worth it? Because of time and dollar constraints most will have to prioritize. If it's a huge stretch but your dream school then go for it. But if it's a stretch and not a top 3 school then push that down lower on the list over programs where the fit is better. Between showcase feedback, club coaches, on-line game footage and roster bios, kids (families) should be able to come up with a good list. Like with academics you have a few reaches, plenty of good fits and a few safeties.

Comment

I agree with that. Good advice.

But if you stand little or no chance of getting noticed is it worth it? Because of time and dollar constraints most will have to prioritize. If it's a huge stretch but your dream school then go for it. But if it's a stretch and not a top 3 school then push that down lower on the list over programs where the fit is better. Between showcase feedback, club coaches, on-line game footage and roster bios, kids (families) should be able to come up with a good list. Like with academics you have a few reaches, plenty of good fits and a few safeties.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X