Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Im not BTDT, but clearly I hit a nerve. Go smoke cigars with your NESCAC parents and try to deny its anything but JV Ivy. Be pompous or go home you settlers with 2nd tier kids
    Thanks so much, BTNT...if we're second tier thank the baby jesus for second tier.

Comment

Here we go again with the D3 parents acting all uppity toward D2. The NESCAC is funded by private school parents that need to say it was all worth it. It’s manufactured elitism. If your kid was a better student and/or a better soccer player you would have gone Ivy. That option didn’t materialize so you make fun of Bentley/Stonehill to deflect the fact that you and your kid settled for what was left.
      So wrong. There are many public school kids that want a liberal arts education and are strong enough academically to play in the NESCAC league. They get support, and get in and get generous financial aid. This is not manufactured elitism.

Comment

Why would anyone today want a liberal arts degree.Just asking.

Comment

Why would anyone today want a liberal arts degree.Just asking.
          To learn how to think and speak and write and listen, a few reasons that come to mind

Comment

I didn't read through all of the drivel, but it doesn't seem like many of the responses addressed OP's question.

Yes, you can know if a NESCAC is interested early junior year, but from our experience I don't think coaches will make any kind of decision without SAT scores and mid-year junior grades at the earliest. One coach told my daughter that they couldn't run anyone past admissions until after July 1 before senior year (maybe they just weren't that interested.) In the end my daughter knew in February of junior year that a different NESCAC coach was committed to her (the coaches words) and confident that she would get admissions approval (which she did in July), however of her teammates who were looking at NESCAC schools she was definitely the earliest.

(Yes, we took a chance, but we trusted that the coach knew what admissions was looking for.)

Good luck

Comment

I didn't read through all of the drivel, but it doesn't seem like many of the responses addressed OP's question.

Yes, you can know if a NESCAC is interested early junior year, but from our experience I don't think coaches will make any kind of decision without SAT scores and mid-year junior grades at the earliest. One coach told my daughter that they couldn't run anyone past admissions until after July 1 before senior year (maybe they just weren't that interested.) In the end my daughter knew in February of junior year that a different NESCAC coach was committed to her (the coaches words) and confident that she would get admissions approval (which she did in July), however of her teammates who were looking at NESCAC schools she was definitely the earliest.

(Yes, we took a chance, but we trusted that the coach knew what admissions was looking for.)

Good luck
              Thank you for this information. It is very helpful.

Comment

Some good and accurate posts here. Also keep in mind that there is a slightly different approach with each NESCAC. Hamilton may let you know sooner than Amherst or Midd. The admissions offices do have slightly different “rules”.

Comment

Is a science major possible while trying to play at nescac institution or do the majors of athletes have to be less time consuming?
                  As long as your student can handle the combination
                  of soccer responsibilities and classwork any major is in play. My daughter had 2 lab sciences in the fall and no conflicts.

Comment

As long as your student can handle the combination
                    of soccer responsibilities and classwork any major is in play. My daughter had 2 lab sciences in the fall and no conflicts.
                    This is where D3 has advantages over D1 - better flexibility with classes and ability to do internships and study abroad. However there is no academic support so make sure your student isn't likely to struggle. I'd still bank tougher classes for the 2nd semester as much as possible.

Comment

So wrong. There are many public school kids that want a liberal arts education and are strong enough academically to play in the NESCAC league. They get support, and get in and get generous financial aid. This is not manufactured elitism.
                      A classic Liberal arts education is a dead end. Go look at schools with serious investments in their undergraduate engineering or business schools.

Comment

Im not BTDT - i dont know em, but i agree with him.
                        Most club soccer parents are hypocrites, and face saving happens.
                        I’m doubling-down on club soccer to give my D as many options as possible.Whatever she ends up choosing I am going to love and support. It may very well be D3 - for all the right reasons for us - but if so I will be careful to not say “she coulda gone D1” and while she may post and share her acceptance she definitely wont simulate an NLI signing.
                        This! What is up with the fake D3 NLI signing? My kids may end up D3 as well but they aren’t doing that. Reality is D3s don’t sign NLIs so please don’t pretend they do. It’s not embarrassing playing soccer at a D3 but it is embarrassing if you try to pretend you went D1. The D3 degree might be better so enjoy knowing that and hold your head high but please don’t pretend D3 signs an NLI.
                        There is no such thing as D3 recruiting. It's really a myth built by jealous parents who want the prestige of saying their children are college bound athletes but haven't dealt with the realities of what true "recruiting" is. If the goal is parlaying soccer into an education, the Ivies are a far better option for the properly credentialed prospect (meaning sufficient soccer/grades). Even though the Ivies don't give scholarships, they do give preferential treatment to athletic recruits during the admissions process and coaches literally do go out solicit student/athletes to fill their "admit slots". That's not the same thing as what happens at the D3 level. Perhaps if more parents understood the differences you wouldn't have the fake NLI signings.

Comment

A classic Liberal arts education is a dead end. Go look at schools with serious investments in their undergraduate engineering or business schools.
                          I've taken my daughter to two schools in CT that have major undergrad business programs that literally have mini Wall Street trading floors as labs. Very impressed. Do any of the NESCACS have serious business programs?

Comment

There is no such thing as D3 recruiting. It's really a myth built by jealous parents who want the prestige of saying their children are college bound athletes but haven't dealt with the realities of what true "recruiting" is. If the goal is parlaying soccer into an education, the Ivies are a far better option for the properly credentialed prospect (meaning sufficient soccer/grades). Even though the Ivies don't give scholarships, they do give preferential treatment to athletic recruits during the admissions process and coaches literally do go out solicit student/athletes to fill their "admit slots". That's not the same thing as what happens at the D3 level. Perhaps if more parents understood the differences you wouldn't have the fake NLI signings.
                            Make this your cause if you must but don't expect much of anyone to really care. People glance at the photo for a few seconds and then go about their business. Try it. It's not a bad solution to constantly being upset about nothing.

Comment

This is where D3 has advantages over D1 - better flexibility with classes and ability to do internships and study abroad. However there is no academic support so make sure your student isn't likely to struggle. I'd still bank tougher classes for the 2nd semester as much as possible.
                              Another myth. The academic support system at your typical D1 does all of the same things but also add tutoring and other similar educational benefits that far exceed what is even dreamed of at the D3 level. It can be like your kid having their own personal TA.

Comment

The world still needs writers, historians, language experts. Many go on to grad schools and do something unrelated. The caveat is if you're going that route don't take any debt because you won't be making 80k out of school

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X