Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    All about revenue to pay stupid salaries for guys to kick a ball around.
    Insanity...
    isn't this statement true about all professional sports.

Best way that someone described it was comparing to March Madness…if say 16 teams like Duke, Kansas, Carolina, Kentucky, started their own tournament/league so they can guarantee participation instead of playing in the NCAA tournament.

Comment

All about revenue to pay stupid salaries for guys to kick a ball around.
      Insanity...
      I bet ticket prices will exclude common men and women and only allow access to wealthy locals and tourists. The exact opposite of what football is supposed to be.

Comment

Who cares about soccer outside of MA?

Comment

Who cares about soccer outside of MA?
          Most people with a brain.

Comment

According to the European sites (and if your reading about European soccer, you really shouldn’t read an American site) the masterminds behind this current push are the 3 American owners of the English teams. On the debt issues: Minus the smaller italian teams, the majority of clubs have a $4B+ Worth and a debt load percentage in the single digits. The ‘open’ part is for 5 slots. The 15 ‘founding’ clubs get automatic berths with 5 at large invites.
            Those European sites are looking for a foreign villain, but a few American majority owners can’t force 9 other European-owned clubs to join a league. I’m not sure what numbers you are looking at, but Real Madrid alone had to take out $200m in loans last year just to survive and has total debt over $1B as it builds out a new stadium. The fact is that is that these big clubs are in an arms race to bring in talent and build stadiums that their domestic fan base can’t support. The population of all of the UK is about the size of 3 good sized states here in the US, but it’s got dozens of clubs to support. These owners know they need to attract more money somehow and these 12 clubs are trying to get there first. I doubt they’ll be successful without FIFA/UEFA support and the Germans, Dutch, etc joining in and you’ll see 3-4 of these clubs sold within the next few years.

I was just quoting the ESL President about the league being “open”; I don’t believe that. The additional 3 permanent members they want to add plus the 5 open slots will go to the highest bidder, not the best teams. The expansion will pay off the 12 clubs that got in first. This how all league expansions go with early adopters getting the best returns. Just think that Kraft bought the Revs franchise for about $25m in 1995 and now the new MLS franchises are going for 20x that. That’s what these European clubs are hoping for.

Comment

Those European sites are looking for a foreign villain, but a few American majority owners can’t force 9 other European-owned clubs to join a league. I’m not sure what numbers you are looking at, but Real Madrid alone had to take out $200m in loans last year just to survive and has total debt over $1B as it builds out a new stadium. The fact is that is that these big clubs are in an arms race to bring in talent and build stadiums that their domestic fan base can’t support. The population of all of the UK is about the size of 3 good sized states here in the US, but it’s got dozens of clubs to support. These owners know they need to attract more money somehow and these 12 clubs are trying to get there first. I doubt they’ll be successful without FIFA/UEFA support and the Germans, Dutch, etc joining in and you’ll see 3-4 of these clubs sold within the next few years.

I was just quoting the ESL President about the league being “open”; I don’t believe that. The additional 3 permanent members they want to add plus the 5 open slots will go to the highest bidder, not the best teams. The expansion will pay off the 12 clubs that got in first. This how all league expansions go with early adopters getting the best returns. Just think that Kraft bought the Revs franchise for about $25m in 1995 and now the new MLS franchises are going for 20x that. That’s what these European clubs are hoping for.
              Lol-I bet they invite Beckham’s Inter Miami to join.

Comment

It’s falling apart.

Can we do the same with the like last of LL, BA, AP, the Bradleys and all the other cronies here?

Comment

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...lans/live/amp/

That didn’t last long

Comment

John Henry said he bowed out because of the fans. Hahaha. Fraud

Comment

John Henry said he bowed out because of the fans. Hahaha. Fraud
                      He’s not dumb. Before they agreed to join, he had a plan B knowing the new league might not work out. He’ll use this to leverage the other EPL owners to do what whatever he wants. One way or another FSG/Liverpool will end up with more money in their pockets.

Comment

He’s not dumb. Before they agreed to join, he had a plan B knowing the new league might not work out. He’ll use this to leverage the other EPL owners to do what whatever he wants. One way or another FSG/Liverpool will end up with more money in their pockets.
                        Probably blame LaBron.

Comment

Wow, shorter than GDAP ... And even GAL.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X