Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My kid is very happy at MFA. If a rented field is your issue it's probably better you hit the road. Every year there are a couple of new players and most are club hoppers. They hop along to some other club soon enough. My guess is your real issue is lack of playing time. That is tough for players, but it does not help when a parent says, yeah the coach sucks, field sucks, etc. My kid I say work harder, be about the team, and things will work out. They generally do.
    Just because its just hard to go through the 200 pages of posts, here is a quick summary of the complaints, if you would like to address them. Please note that not all of these may be applicable to YOUR team, but are just the general practices for MF trio of "Leather, Raper and Boochie".

Coaches/Development
    - they definitely have ton of experience and certifications
    - they are lazy and never go above and beyond and 40-60% of practice is scrimmaging
    - 2 practices a week are the max
    - if you are looking for development - you wont find it here
    - external practices/games are discouraged (eg at younger groups) and people received nastygrams

Tryouts/Team morale:
    - teams roster starts at 18 after tryouts
    - teams are at 23 by the time season starts
    - teams are at 30 by the time season ends
    - lots of kids replaced each year
    - at younger age groups kids from other teams are brought in for free from other clubs or satellites
    - during tryouts kids are offered spots on "ECNL" and find out they are "ECNLR"
    - in general, you compete on the team for playing time, so you hate your team if you are outside of the top 8
    - since coaches are lazy and wont rotate or train players you are really competing for the 1-2 spot for that position
    - you can't leave for another "US CLUB" because MF will not release your player card
    - DB will rat you out so that you can be blackmailed to your club if you come mid season to a practice
    - pay for every itemized add-on which is not clear in your contract (I guess) such as travel, extra sessions, winter stuff etc.

College process:
    - 3-4 players make it into decent colleges (these are coincidentally the "happy parents")
    - many end up playing for colleges where neither soccer not academics are really that awesome
    - 50%+ of the graduating MF class ends up not doing anything after MF
    - there is no real "college liaison" and there were many rumors that MF coaches would not forward emails between players and college coaches
    - typically MF coaches pitch the players to the college coach they already have an established pipeline (so that's probably the 3-6 players at most)

Some people say "try harder" at practice, but everyone knows its about volunteering for the club and sucking up. Paying for privates, filling up the generator tanks and writing up positive posts about MF on Facebook is the X factor no one wants to admit to.

Personally I know more kids who quit soccer after MF than kids who went on to play in a great college.

Comment

Not everyone gets symptoms from COVID19
      True, but then why would you get tested after a game if you didn't have symptoms or if you didn't have close contact with another positive case?
      Why would you lie on the game day survey you have to fill out?

Comment

True, but then why would you get tested after a game if you didn't have symptoms or if you didn't have close contact with another positive case?
        Some private schools are testing students every week.

Comment

Maybe kid was contact-traced?

Comment

Maybe kid was contact-traced?
            Sure, we'll go with that...

Comment

Sure, we'll go with that...
              That's what happened to a player on my D's high school team, and it knocked the team out of the state tournament.

Comment

I would like to know how a girl can play a game Sunday afternoon then test positive for Covid on Monday? Was she playing with symptoms or just breaking quarantine? I realize this is more of a parent issue than Match Fit, but seriously get your **** together up there.
                I'd like to believe that she start feeling ill after the game and the parents were quick to get her tested and at least they were honest with the club. Unfortunately people on this blog are acting like the family was selfish or negligent which is totally unfair because all of our children could end up being the kid who tests positive. This could happen to any kid, on any team, in any club so back off.

Comment

There used to be a rule that ECNL clubs could not have other ECNL clubs at tryouts until after the regular season was over.
                  This is the most accurate information. ECNL clubs can host tryouts if they have teams playing in other leagues. They just can't have ECNL-specific tryouts to recruit other ECNL players.

In short, the OP is timing the post. Today is the day MF sending out the last batch of the offers and this OP isn't a parent but a club owner or a coach.

Comment

Just because its just hard to go through the 200 pages of posts, here is a quick summary of the complaints, if you would like to address them. Please note that not all of these may be applicable to YOUR team, but are just the general practices for MF trio of "Leather, Raper and Boochie".

Coaches/Development
                    - they are lazy and never go above and beyond and 40-60% of practice is scrimmaging
                    - external practices/games are discouraged (eg at younger groups) and people received nastygrams

Tryouts/Team morale:
                    - at younger age groups kids from other teams are brought in for free from other clubs or satellites
                    - in general, you compete on the team for playing time, so you hate your team if you are outside of the top 8
                    - since coaches are lazy and wont rotate or train players you are really competing for the 1-2 spot for that position
                    - you can't leave for another "US CLUB" because MF will not release your player card
                    - DB will rat you out so that you can be blackmailed to your club if you come mid season to a practice
                    - pay for every itemized add-on which is not clear in your contract (I guess) such as travel, extra sessions, winter stuff etc.

College process:
                    - 3-4 players make it into decent colleges (these are coincidentally the "happy parents")
                    - many end up playing for colleges where neither soccer not academics are really that awesome
                    - there is no real "college liaison" and there were many rumors that MF coaches would not forward emails between players and college coaches
                    - typically MF coaches pitch the players to the college coach they already have an established pipeline (so that's probably the 3-6 players at most)

Some people say "try harder" at practice, but everyone knows its about volunteering for the club and sucking up. Paying for privates, filling up the generator tanks and writing up positive posts about MF on Facebook is the X factor no one wants to admit to.

Personally I know more kids who quit soccer after MF than kids who went on to play in a great college.
                    You really have the time. Winner of the hater award!

Comment

I would like to know how a girl can play a game Sunday afternoon then test positive for Covid on Monday? Was she playing with symptoms or just breaking quarantine? I realize this is more of a parent issue than Match Fit, but seriously get your **** together up there.
                      Doesnt that mean all players in contact quarantine? Which game was this?

Comment

Coaches/Development

Tryouts/Team morale:

College process:

I’ve had parents tell me too many times to avoid MF for all of these reasons and more.

Comment

Coaches/Development

Tryouts/Team morale:

College process:

What a coward. Little bitter man. I know who you are and I hope you are having fun at whatever club you moved to. Most of what you posted is pure garbage. Maybe see a therapist.

Comment

What a coward. Little bitter man. I know who you are and I hope you are having fun at whatever club you moved to. Most of what you posted is pure garbage. Maybe see a therapist.
                            Not the poster, but which parts aren’t true?

Comment

Not the poster, but which parts aren’t true?
                              Where do I start. Start with Leather, one of the best coaches in the state. Coaches there go above and beyond and teams do often train more than 2X per week, especially when there are no games. There was a coach this year who shoveled the damn field. That guy seems like he lives there. Almost all kids train outside of the club, and the club stopped discouraging that years ago. With the college process the club is very involved and has multiple 1:1 meetings with players and parents. Coaches are always willing to engage coaches on a players behalf. As pointed out, a very high percentage play in college and the ones who don't are generally great students and can't find a soccer/academic balance.

Comment

This is the best line:

"in general, you compete on the team for playing time, so you hate your team if you are outside of the top 8"

LOL.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X