Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NYCFC Summer Camp Reviews?

I’m hoping to give my 8 year old a summer camp experience a bit more than your average half day soccer camp and saw NYCFC and Manchester City are doing a camp in Danbury this summer. Anyone ever go to one of those or have a perspective? It’s a full day camp but seems to have some classroom components which feels helpful given so little of youth soccer involves chalk talk.

Looking for constructive feedback and actual reviews. My son is fairly advanced for his age so we are looking for a challenge.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I’m hoping to give my 8 year old a summer camp experience a bit more than your average half day soccer camp and saw NYCFC and Manchester City are doing a camp in Danbury this summer. Anyone ever go to one of those or have a perspective? It’s a full day camp but seems to have some classroom components which feels helpful given so little of youth soccer involves chalk talk.

Looking for constructive feedback and actual reviews. My son is fairly advanced for his age so we are looking for a challenge.

My son did the camp at Mercy College a few years ago, he had a great time. I think it's a mix of a couple of NYC FC youth program coaches and a couple of community coaches from Man City. Good coaching, it was some good stuff but the standard of players was reasonable not quite what you would expect.

Comment

My son did the camp at Mercy College a few years ago, he had a great time. I think it's a mix of a couple of NYC FC youth program coaches and a couple of community coaches from Man City. Good coaching, it was some good stuff but the standard of players was reasonable not quite what you would expect.
      So glad you responded - thank you! Kept watching the number of views (over 90 without a response) and was surprised no one had tried it. Watching some of their videos I did get the sense that this wasn’t academy only, but would likely draw some future players at that level.

Comment

So glad you responded - thank you! Kept watching the number of views (over 90 without a response) and was surprised no one had tried it. Watching some of their videos I did get the sense that this wasn’t academy only, but would likely draw some future players at that level.
        decided not to answer as soon as you said your kid was advanced at 8 years old
        just started laughing- u little parents are so cute

Comment

Well . . . I also decided not to reply when I saw your son was 8. But no need to be a jerk. Kids change SO much from 8 to 18. My advice -- even for the most gifted player-- is to keep it fun. Have him play pick up as much as possible. Give him opportunities to try things where the stakes are low. Have him play with bigger kids so he's not afraid of going up against opponents.

My son is heading to college, where he will be playing soccer. Over the years I've learned the best players have *drive*. Nurture that. Guard against burnout. If he is playing soccer in the fall and spring, take the summer off from organized soccer.

When he's 10, I'd highly recommend the Red Bulls residential RDS camps that you have to try out for.

Comment

You should bring him immediately to oakwood where he can be on a direct path to a professional career

Comment

Well . . . I also decided not to reply when I saw your son was 8. But no need to be a jerk. Kids change SO much from 8 to 18. My advice -- even for the most gifted player-- is to keep it fun. Have him play pick up as much as possible. Give him opportunities to try things where the stakes are low. Have him play with bigger kids so he's not afraid of going up against opponents.

My son is heading to college, where he will be playing soccer. Over the years I've learned the best players have *drive*. Nurture that. Guard against burnout. If he is playing soccer in the fall and spring, take the summer off from organized soccer.

When he's 10, I'd highly recommend the Red Bulls residential RDS camps that you have to try out for.
              You guys are ridiculous. Advanced means not rec and we still haven’t tried out for premier (in May). Advanced does not mean academy, but maybe someday. If you go back to my original post, I don’t think it’s being a jerk pointing out that this isn’t my kids first time kicking the ball. He plays everyday whether I want him to or not. We are looking for a challenge, but not looking to be way out of our league. Second poster confirmed it’s probably a good choice. But some of the marketing videos are a bit over the top.

Comment

I was not referring to you, OP, when I wrote "no need to be a jerk". I was referring to the post above mine.

Comment

You guys are ridiculous. Advanced means not rec and we still haven’t tried out for premier (in May). Advanced does not mean academy, but maybe someday. If you go back to my original post, I don’t think it’s being a jerk pointing out that this isn’t my kids first time kicking the ball. He plays everyday whether I want him to or not. We are looking for a challenge, but not looking to be way out of our league. Second poster confirmed it’s probably a good choice. But some of the marketing videos are a bit over the top.
                  Red Bulls camps are also very good but I don't know what age they start with. Definitely a "higher level" than many local camps.

Comment

Red Bulls camps are also very good but I don't know what age they start with. Definitely a "higher level" than many local camps.
                    yes rbny rds camps are very good and a legit pathway to their academy.

Comment

yes rbny rds camps are very good
                      fixed that last part for you. They're just good camps, that is all.

Comment

Did your son attend the camp in the end? How did you find it? I have signed up my 12 year old son for the one in Staten Island. He is a competitive player in Barbados, currently training with U15s and holding his own. So i guess you could call him “advanced for his age”. Any feedback you can provide would be most welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
                          Did your son attend the camp in the end? How did you find it? I have signed up my 12 year old son for the one in Staten Island. He is a competitive player in Barbados, currently training with U15s and holding his own. So i guess you could call him “advanced for his age”. Any feedback you can provide would be most welcome.
                          Original poster here: We sent him to the NYCFC/Man City camp at the Danbury Sports Dome and it was definitely a good camp with lots of talented players. He learned a lot of the little things - particularly on defense. Only problem is his current coach dissuaded a few of them. We are going back this year. As the other poster suggested, we’ll probably tryout for an RDS overnight Red Bulls camp in another year to try that. But for now this will work.

I did watch some of the 12 year olds play last summer and they were all highly skilled like in the “hype video” for the camp. Kids were actually doing the McGeady spin - was pretty impressive. They must teach it at that level. Good luck!

Comment

Original poster here: We sent him to the NYCFC/Man City camp at the Danbury Sports Dome and it was definitely a good camp with lots of talented players. He learned a lot of the little things - particularly on defense. Only problem is his current coach dissuaded a few of them. We are going back this year. As the other poster suggested, we’ll probably tryout for an RDS overnight Red Bulls camp in another year to try that. But for now this will work.

I did watch some of the 12 year olds play last summer and they were all highly skilled like in the “hype video” for the camp. Kids were actually doing the McGeady spin - was pretty impressive. They must teach it at that level. Good luck!
                            How does it compare to fsa summer camps? Anyone knows?

Comment

How does it compare to fsa summer camps? Anyone knows?
                              It is more specific on tactical-technical instruction from what I observed. FSA like most camps goes through the standard fare of soccer camp drills - love power and finesse. The same ones camps did when I was a kid. Because it was in the sports dome, I couldn’t really see how they did this because that each day had a theme, player to emulate, and smaller groups than traditional camps. Instruction seemed geared to produce a specific outcome (a concept, skill, etc.) at the end of the drill versus providing time/space to just play.

We will still be going to FSA this summer, but wish NYCFC did more in CT.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X