Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on male high school coaches following their female players on social media

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Some years back a BC women’s soccer player starting saying things on social media while awaiting a game at PSU. It lit up the country and embarrassed the kid and school. She was suspended for what was at the time the biggest game she was ever to play. Someone needs to monitor that. The school doesn’t want to first discover it when it’s broadcast on a National ESPN show.
    Colleges should monitor athlete's accounts. Most have to sign a code of conduct also. More than one athlete has gotten a school into trouble.

A HS student posting dumb crap is the school's problem, and parents, but I don't think a HS coach should be doing it.

Comment

I won’t sign a kid until I do a pretty deep dive on their character which involves review of their online activity. We don’t interact with them, but we do look carefully at any social media we can access.
      Some admissions offices do as well. It's a good idea, especially if you've gotten a "vibe" about someone and want to check it out.

Comment

I won’t sign a kid until I do a pretty deep dive on their character which involves review of their online activity. We don’t interact with them, but we do look carefully at any social media we can access.
        That changes with the times. 5 years ago you would warn players to be smart about their appearance, which is no longer the case today, as high school and college players on full display on their social media accounts. Girls soccer players train in what look like volleyball shorts with their butts out, and they all think they are thong bikini models. Sepp Blatter called it.

Comment

Male HS coaches texting HS students? No. Just no, for all involved.

Comment

What about texting to a group? “Hey guys, meet at the bus at 2:45”. Communications to a group seen harmless to me. It’s one on one texting that seems like a bad idea. Thoughts?

Comment

I’m a creep, I’m a weirdoooo...

LOL

Comment

I’m a creep, I’m a weirdoooo...

LOL
                Dumb ass college coaches check social media for recruits and players all the time. Bad behavior reflects badly on the program amd school

Comment

Had to deal with this a few years back. A male coach was following a few "select" girls on social media and texting them privately many, many times. Told my kid to stay far away! No high school coach should be texting, emailing, and contacting players unless it is on a school or team created website. Absolutely no following kids on social media ever!

Comment

Had to deal with this a few years back. A male coach was following a few "select" girls on social media and texting them privately many, many times. Told my kid to stay far away! No high school coach should be texting, emailing, and contacting players unless it is on a school or team created website. Absolutely no following kids on social media ever!
                    Communication from coach to player by text or email should have parent cc’ed. Never a reason needed to have a private message exchange. Parents should always have access.

Comment

So no texts that say "Nice job today" or some such? These days, it seems like if teens don't see it in a text or an emoji, that coach has never said it even when you've actually said it to them in person.

Comment

So no texts that say "Nice job today" or some such? These days, it seems like if teens don't see it in a text or an emoji, that coach has never said it even when you've actually said it to them in person.
                        Maybe kids should stop expecting a gold star each time they do well? Think a professor or boss will text them that? There's plenty of team apps that can facilitate communication and parents can and should be included on it. If a coach has something private to say to a player do it at practice or a game, in person.

Comment

Thanks coach. Still not ok to text your players.

Comment

Absolutely not. Even if you mean well, you're putting yourself in a rather precarious position by texting with a MINOR. Do yourself a favor and use the many team-communication apps and keep everything public. Easier for everyone involved. All it takes is a parent coming forth with an agenda.

Comment

Absolutely not. Even if you mean well, you're putting yourself in a rather precarious position by texting with a MINOR. Do yourself a favor and use the many team-communication apps and keep everything public. Easier for everyone involved. All it takes is a parent coming forth with an agenda.
                              Agree. Get a SportsEngine or TeamSnap or whatever and send messages through that where there is a clear separation of team vs private.

Comment

Thanks coach. Still not ok to text your players.
                                You would think the high school coaches would know this.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X