Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on male high school coaches following their female players on social media

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on male high school coaches following their female players on social media

As well as texting them... And go!

Happens all the time, and? Most will try to filter team communications through the captains to keep it streamlined

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      In general fine, but it is tool and account specific. "Official" Fb, IG, and Twitter are fine, and just as well that coach is monitoring, Snapchat, VSCO, Tik Tok, etc and stealth "Finsta" accounts, no way.

Comment

Creepy as hell especially considering the "content" some of these kids post.

Comment

In general fine, but it is tool and account specific. "Official" Fb, IG, and Twitter are fine, and just as well that coach is monitoring, Snapchat, VSCO, Tik Tok, etc and stealth "Finsta" accounts, no way.
          ours has a team account set up on some app (forget which one) and they coach texts captains (only captains) on team business. I don't believe they follow any players on social media. Schools ahve some pretty strict rules about this stuff, for obvious reasons.

Comment

No need for it whatsoever! Coach can have a twitter and players can follow that, no need for coach to follow players. If you communicate effectively word will get out, just email players on their school emails and make it clear from day 1 that they should check that frequently. Key word in social media is "social". If an older male wants to be social with HS players they have bigger issues than their coaching.

Comment

No need for it whatsoever! Coach can have a twitter and players can follow that, no need for coach to follow players. If you communicate effectively word will get out, just email players on their school emails and make it clear from day 1 that they should check that frequently. Key word in social media is "social". If an older male wants to be social with HS players they have bigger issues than their coaching.
              I think JB should take note.

Comment

My spouse works for our school district in administration. There are very strict rules about teachers and coaches electronic correspondence with students - they can use official school emails for communications, and coaches can set up team communications on an app that also has the AD and secretary copied on it. That's it. No social media, no private texting. A teacher in a nearby district got canned for texting with students - not just females by many students. Just too risky for any district. Clubs should have the same rules and if they don't they're idiots. There's lots of apps out there that coaches and teams can use

Comment

^ no coach with half a brain should be texting or friending HS players

Comment

^ no coach with half a brain should be texting or friending HS players
                    You are right it just would seem to open a can of worms for the the coach that doesn’t need to be opened.
                    High coaches have more guidelines to follow than club coaches with player contact.
                    Playing devils advocate maybe a coach wants to keep track of the plays making sure they aren’t doing stupid stuff off the field and posting it. How many times have players been fought doing stupid stuff and posting it on IG or Twitter? Maybe if the player knows the coach will see it they won’t do it? I’m just throwing that out there.
                    Also during the off season coaches aren’t allowed to run practices so texting/Twitter are the only way to communicate with the players. How many players are checking emails now a days?

Last this shouldn’t just be about male coaches it should be all adult coaches. I don’t think female coaches should be doing this also. Either no coach should do or every coach can do it.

Comment

You are right it just would seem to open a can of worms for the the coach that doesn’t need to be opened.
                      High coaches have more guidelines to follow than club coaches with player contact.
                      Playing devils advocate maybe a coach wants to keep track of the plays making sure they aren’t doing stupid stuff off the field and posting it. How many times have players been fought doing stupid stuff and posting it on IG or Twitter? Maybe if the player knows the coach will see it they won’t do it? I’m just throwing that out there.
                      Also during the off season coaches aren’t allowed to run practices so texting/Twitter are the only way to communicate with the players. How many players are checking emails now a days?

Last this shouldn’t just be about male coaches it should be all adult coaches. I don’t think female coaches should be doing this also. Either no coach should do or every coach can do it.
                      HS and college students are still expected to use school email accounts frequently so no reason a HS or college coach can't do the same* Club coaches are different but the easiest way to cover your behind is to use a team app for communications and include parents. Absolutely no social media connections with minors.

*College is different, however, as it's less likely for parents to freak out and the players aren't minors. I can definitely see college coaches wanting to keep tabs on athletes' social media accounts. A HS coach or club shouldn't be keeping tabs on social media accounts.

Comment

Some years back a BC women’s soccer player starting saying things on social media while awaiting a game at PSU. It lit up the country and embarrassed the kid and school. She was suspended for what was at the time the biggest game she was ever to play. Someone needs to monitor that. The school doesn’t want to first discover it when it’s broadcast on a National ESPN show.

Comment

How about a high school coach connecting with his players and texting his players after they graduate and go off to college? I like to stay connecting with my kids after they move on. In fact I have former players that are now in their 30s that I’ll have beers with.

Comment

I won’t sign a kid until I do a pretty deep dive on their character which involves review of their online activity. We don’t interact with them, but we do look carefully at any social media we can access.

Comment

How about a high school coach connecting with his players and texting his players after they graduate and go off to college? I like to stay connecting with my kids after they move on. In fact I have former players that are now in their 30s that I’ll have beers with.
                              Once they're 18 years old and graduated I have no problem with that. My kids' private school policy is no social media/texting until after they've graduated. They're adults. They will be texting with professors frequently and their college coach if they're playing.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X