Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about playing time

I have a question about playing time. Is it common practice to keep your defenders in for the entire game and only rotate your midfielders and attackers? Thank you.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have a question about playing time. Is it common practice to keep your defenders in for the entire game and only rotate your midfielders and attackers? Thank you.
    Yes. Yes it is

Comment

Central defenders rarely, if ever, come off. There is no need.

I typically subbed, in order (considering a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-1-4-1 alignment):

* Outside midfielders/wingers
      * Outside backs
      * Central midfielders
      * Forwards
      * Centerbacks

(Could swap outside backs/central mids based on variations in personnel, fitness, and alignments)

Comment

Looks like someone is upset their kid got subbed and the backs didn't......

Comment

Our coach subs everybody.

Comment

What happens when the center back is playing like crap because they are exhausted? I’ve seen gassed CB who are as useless as a limp ****

Comment

What age are we talking?

Comment

What age are we talking?
                I’m the original poster and I’m talking about U13 in particular.

Comment

What happens when the center back is playing like crap because they are exhausted? I’ve seen gassed CB who are as useless as a limp ****
                  Me too! Lazy coaches like the one quoted above don't help anyone.

Comment

Obviously a gassed CB could be subbed.

The next question is whether any of the subs can play CB better than a gassed starter, or if they are all wingers and outside backs.

Comment

At u13 some rotation advised, but that’s also the age when parent pressure to win starts peaking. If coach wants to keep players and her job, she will likely identify two reliable CBs and keep them in most of game, or at least until it seems in hand. Forwards can fail 90% of the time and be all-stars, but defenders aren’t allowed many mistakes.

Comment

Obviously a gassed CB could be subbed.

The next question is whether any of the subs can play CB better than a gassed starter, or if they are all wingers and outside backs.
                        It's very common not to have CBs sub. Heck even in U10 you'll sometimes see one CB stay on the whole time. Occasionally, a defensive midfielder will also play the whole game if the kid is a horse or a super skilled attacking mid might stay on. Everyone else usually subs at some point.

Comment

Usually a sign that your team is terrible .... replace the mids, forwards, and wings more and tell them to stop booting it back to the other team.

Comment

I’m the original poster and I’m talking about U13 in particular.
                            At u13, I’d say it’s very rare to see a CB subbed out at all. This may depend on the level of the team, but that position is most likely to stay on the field the entire game. Outside backs often get subbed at some point, especially if they play an attacking style. In a 4 back situation, the CB’s shouldn’t really be “gassed”. They are unlikely to be doing the amount of running that you would see from outside backs, attacking midfielders or forwards.

Comment

Players at U13 and younger should be trained and played at multiple positions. It helps each player understand the game, positions, etc. There will always be players who miss games due to injury, COVID quarantine, other conflicts, etc. Having a CB who just kicks the ball as far as they can doesn't help the team or players as you are just giving the ball back to the other team most of the time.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X