Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Been following the Surf fb page. Both RI and NE Surf are really pushing the marketing hard to make their parents think they are creating opportunities for their Select players.The parents are so proud of their wee littles faces showing up on Surfs marketing promo pages. They are such suckers. It is GPS in a new jersey. Parents really are so gullible or wishful. I feel bad for them. They keep saying "ride the wave!" Oh boy, typical gullible American soccer parents.
    It's not GPS, for RI Surf at least. Many of the coaches and teams came from NEFC Southeast.

Comment

Surf RI one good coach the 2009 rest is no better than GPS. Not impressed.

Comment

So what's the deal. .so many local kids made the Surf Select team after NJ tryout a few weeks ago. Under the impression only one team made up of kids from the entire country (so a National Surf team for each age group). Is NE Surf and RI Surf really that good? Seems strange for multiple kids from the same local team making the "national" team together.
        GPS used to do this. Big money grab for the kids whose parents have the money. Makes the mom's and Mia's feel proud and special, respectively.

Comment

I know one age group at those tryouts only had kids from two of the east coast clubs, so it's not like they're seeing all the top talent. And yes, it's supposedly a "national" team, but the impression I got was that it's basically an old-fashioned (i.e., how those of us of a certain age remember them) select side that gets to go to a cool tournament. I also don't think these "teams" will get much, if any, practice time together before whichever tournament, so they're going to be walking onto the field at a distinct disadvantage to any decent team that's been playing together for a while.
          Actually, if they do it like GPS used to, they will make sure the competition is weak so they can be "successful". One mediocre GPS RI/MA team that I was aware of, went to FL at U12 and had multiple wins by 3 goals or more. Suckers!

Comment

Those of us who have been around soccer long enough know that NE Surf and RI Surf play in weak leagues and against weaker teams. They are a catch all club. They will catch all the players not able to make it on good teams and win over all the gullible parents. It's GPS in a new package. And, the parents fell for it.

Comment

Those of us who have been around soccer long enough know that NE Surf and RI Surf play in weak leagues and against weaker teams. They are a catch all club. They will catch all the players not able to make it on good teams and win over all the gullible parents. It's GPS in a new package. And, the parents fell for it.
              You're quite the prognosticator if you know those clubs play in weak leagues against weaker teams, considering this spring season that's just starting is the first one for the USYS New England Conference. I get it though, it's not ECNL or NPL or whatever you're affiliated with, so it's automatically "weak."

Comment

Don't know how many times I have to say this but RI Surf took entire NEFC SE teams with them. Some of those teams have excellent players that simply moved with their team. You know for teammates, coaching, travel distance, etc. You live in a fantasy where you think they all failed to get on other clubs!

Comment

Don't know how many times I have to say this but RI Surf took entire NEFC SE teams with them. Some of those teams have excellent players that simply moved with their team. You know for teammates, coaching, travel distance, etc. You live in a fantasy where you think they all failed to get on other clubs!
                  Surf are a good marketing ploy at best - fair play to them, there are thousands of gullible people who fall for the bull**** who dont their history

Comment

The most idiotic thing about this statement is that, whatever one thinks of the leadership of GPS, they had some of the best teams in in the state year after year. The giant club model doesn't appeal to me personally but if Surf ends up anything close to what GPS was it would be a smashing success.

The people talking about Surf Select are simply uninformed. I'm sure that there was a goal of taking some kids from every program but the rosters are concentrated with CA kids as one would expect. There are multiple age groups where no Mass players were selected. The boys that were selected would easily make MLS Next/NPL/RDL rosters -- and we know you love those acronyms!

Comment

You are right. Some of the girls I know could have easily played higher level. The problem is their parents want them to be the big fish in the small pond. Star of the show.

Comment

That is the problem with most parents. They don’t know good soccer until they see it. My daughter just left a club to be the little fish and she loves the challenge now. She did not realize what she was missing until it was almost to late. People on this board should have their daughters try different clubs this time of the year to see how 1) other clubs train, 2) where they stand on one of the top 3 or 4 teams at their age group and 3) to see if they can handle not being the best player on the field. Nothing wrong with playing on lower teams and being the best but just think how you became the best on that team. Now you have to do it all over again.

Comment

Oh dear I believe the post above was from a starry eyed mom new to Surf. Ride the wave, but don’t be sad when your child is cut from the rosters as they are big into recruiting and moving them down and off rosters until they find the stars. Lots of movement in the big Surf organization both in NE and RI. Many parents promised the world then totally disappointed.

Comment

How do I know it’s a Surf parent?
                            The old big fish in small pond comment which is the common comment of Surf parents as they fish from the small ponds to build their big clubs.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X