Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Because the aim of all of this is to win as many Club games as possible. Really? Read carefully. If a club gets its players to the destinations their talent deserves, they are doing a good job. Dont care how many games they win. Stop giving clubs more credit than they deserve for being the final destination. Most of the Clubs take credit for the ones who help push the narrative and ignore the ones who dont.
    That's not really point of the discussion though, is it? When you're talking about strength of GAL and one of it's top clubs that dominates (and I mean dominates) all the other clubs in GAL, plays against mid-level teams from ECNL and they're a big fat dud-you can assume the top level of GAL is mid-lower level ECNL.

Comment

That's not really point of the discussion though, is it? When you're talking about strength of GAL and one of it's top clubs that dominates (and I mean dominates) all the other clubs in GAL, plays against mid-level teams from ECNL and they're a big fat dud-you can assume the top level of GAL is mid-lower level ECNL.
      FCV has won some games 14-0, 11-0, 9-0 in GAL this season....says it all.

Comment

Yes that would be accurate that GAL is mid level ECNL in comparison. Why is that is an issue or so unacceptable - I don't understand why GAL parents feel the need to boost the perception of the league. Just work on making it better rather than defending what it already is. All this said and I have a kid in GA.

Comment

Because the aim of all of this is to win as many Club games as possible. Really? Read carefully. If a club gets its players to the destinations their talent deserves, they are doing a good job. Dont care how many games they win. Stop giving clubs more credit than they deserve for being the final destination. Most of the Clubs take credit for the ones who help push the narrative and ignore the ones who dont.
          Someone asked if any GAL teams performed well against ECNL teams at Jeff Cup. Stop being so salty about your daughter's sub-par league and just enjoy the ride.

Comment

Yes that would be accurate that GAL is mid level ECNL in comparison. Why is that is an issue or so unacceptable - I don't understand why GAL parents feel the need to boost the perception of the league. Just work on making it better rather than defending what it already is. All this said and I have a kid in GA.
            I think you are correct and its ECNL people who bash it and GA people who pump it up and both are ridiculous. Long term, GA just needs to concentrate on the product and getting the younger teams to be the best they can and compete well with ECNl teams when tournaments give the opportunity. I would prefer that no one be able to run away from other teams. I think GA will struggle for 04s and 05s, could be ok for 06s and if they work hard for a year or two, be good for 07s and 08s. The question is whether ECNL will use other tactics to crush the league, by expanding considerably.

I'd have preferred 50% of the GDA clubs being absorbed into ECNL, regionalizing conferences more and streamlining the whole thing.

Comment

I think you are correct and its ECNL people who bash it and GA people who pump it up and both are ridiculous. Long term, GA just needs to concentrate on the product and getting the younger teams to be the best they can and compete well with ECNl teams when tournaments give the opportunity. I would prefer that no one be able to run away from other teams. I think GA will struggle for 04s and 05s, could be ok for 06s and if they work hard for a year or two, be good for 07s and 08s. The question is whether ECNL will use other tactics to crush the league, by expanding considerably.

I'd have preferred 50% of the GDA clubs being absorbed into ECNL, regionalizing conferences more and streamlining the whole thing.
              The ECNL is a for profit business with a business plan. Why would they further dilute their product. The vast majority of GA players (and especially parents) would jump at the opportunity to play ECNL. ECNL in my opinion should only have two clubs in NJ. They are in my opinion a drop in talent from PDA Blue to everyone else. For ECNL to be more effective less is better to maintain a competitive balance not to increase by 50%. You do that and the best players and clubs will then leave to form there own new league.

Comment

The ECNL is a for profit business with a business plan. Why would they further dilute their product. The vast majority of GA players (and especially parents) would jump at the opportunity to play ECNL. ECNL in my opinion should only have two clubs in NJ. They are in my opinion a drop in talent from PDA Blue to everyone else. For ECNL to be more effective less is better to maintain a competitive balance not to increase by 50%. You do that and the best players and clubs will then leave to form there own new league.
                IMO, the improvement in quality is not worth the increase in non-tuition costs to participate. ECNl costing ~$10k per year is a burden to the families and the reality is that the clubs are not even making half of this. It is hotels and travel companies benefitting from the national aspect of the leagues and the travel imposed.

I think it would be very easy to balance the quality vs an expanded # of teams by forcing a max roster of 20 rather than the 30 the teams currently have. Players would spread naturally across the teams and have a better experience with virtually no noticeable drop in the game, especially when they dont have to worry about getting benched constantly because there's 19 bench kids with parents calling the DOC every day.

Less is better only when you have a high # of players in a small geography. We are already driving past good teams just to play crap ones, all because the walled garden approach. We play at tournaments far away and its expensive as hell and the only people making money are DoubleTrees and Anthony f'ing Travel.

Comment

IMO, the improvement in quality is not worth the increase in non-tuition costs to participate. ECNl costing ~$10k per year is a burden to the families and the reality is that the clubs are not even making half of this. It is hotels and travel companies benefitting from the national aspect of the leagues and the travel imposed.

I think it would be very easy to balance the quality vs an expanded # of teams by forcing a max roster of 20 rather than the 30 the teams currently have. Players would spread naturally across the teams and have a better experience with virtually no noticeable drop in the game, especially when they dont have to worry about getting benched constantly because there's 19 bench kids with parents calling the DOC every day.

Less is better only when you have a high # of players in a small geography. We are already driving past good teams just to play crap ones, all because the walled garden approach. We play at tournaments far away and its expensive as hell and the only people making money are DoubleTrees and Anthony f'ing Travel.
                  I respect your opinion but that is not why ECNL was founded. Clubs like PDA and FC Stars wanted to join forces and participate in a small league of like minded successful clubs to play competitive matches vs like minded other clubs and then to have regional tournaments along with national events that would attract college coaches from all four regions. To put it mildly ECNL was founded to remain small with the idea that the best players will travel to training as well as competitive matches up and down Region 1. When ECNL started adding clubs and saturated markets like they have in NJ the quality and depth have dropped drastically. If this continues as I stated before, those original clubs will leave and form another competitive league. ECNL was/is successful because of that original group of clubs in all four regions. If ECNL starts to allow any more less competitive clubs as they are now doing as well as saturating markets lessening the depth of talent then there will be another new league formed.

Comment

I respect your opinion but that is not why ECNL was founded. Clubs like PDA and FC Stars wanted to join forces and participate in a small league of like minded successful clubs to play competitive matches vs like minded other clubs and then to have regional tournaments along with national events that would attract college coaches from all four regions. To put it mildly ECNL was founded to remain small with the idea that the best players will travel to training as well as competitive matches up and down Region 1. When ECNL started adding clubs and saturated markets like they have in NJ the quality and depth have dropped drastically. If this continues as I stated before, those original clubs will leave and form another competitive league. ECNL was/is successful because of that original group of clubs in all four regions. If ECNL starts to allow any more less competitive clubs as they are now doing as well as saturating markets lessening the depth of talent then there will be another new league formed.
                    Fair enough. I guess as long as it is possible for clubs to create their own leagues and manage them, this will be an issue. I suppose my main gripe is that there are some geos with way more teams than we have in NY/NJ/CT and we actually do have the player pool to fill teams out, especially if more appropriate max roster sizes were implemented. But yes, its definitely a balance and it will be interesting to see where this goes, before a new alternative pops up or maybe even GA figures out a way to compete. I suppose I would just rather my kid play STA than drive to play FSA and have the game not be any better (probably worse).

Comment

Good assessment on the 04’s and 05’s in GA, generally speaking not as strong compared to other age groups and obviously with less time to pick up players.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X