Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is such a double edge sword....expecting parents to pay nearly full price for a clearly diminished education? We saw how the online thing went this spring. While it may be adequate, it's still not worth a 20K pricetag for a semester?? On the other hand, if the Universities don't have paying students, they can't sustain the expensive models they have all evolved into!

Will many opt out and take a gap year? Stay at home and do CC online?? Thoughts on this from those of you who have children in college? Fortunately I got mine out just in time before this **** show.
    Ivies should be embarrassed that these were the best solutions they could come up with! They've had 4 months to figure out their strategy for Fall and both Princeton and Harvard have come up substantially short. These schools have 26 and 41 BILLION dollar endowments (respectively) and they couldn't come up with a better plan???
    I have 2 in college now, in schools a level down (1 in NE, 1 in DC) but still top 100 Universities. Sure there were some annoying glitches along the way, but both have offered pretty decent hybrid models for Fall 2020 that satisfied our safety concerns and desire for adequate educational and "college life" experiences.

Comment

Ivies should be embarrassed that these were the best solutions they could come up with! They've had 4 months to figure out their strategy for Fall and both Princeton and Harvard have come up substantially short. These schools have 26 and 41 BILLION dollar endowments (respectively) and they couldn't come up with a better plan???
      I have 2 in college now, in schools a level down (1 in NE, 1 in DC) but still top 100 Universities. Sure there were some annoying glitches along the way, but both have offered pretty decent hybrid models for Fall 2020 that satisfied our safety concerns and desire for adequate educational and "college life" experiences.
      It should scare you that a school with a $41B endowment couldn’t figure out a way to safely bring students back to campus.

The plans from the schools your children attend are currently their best case scenarios for what the fall might look like. Do you want to bet those plans change between now an move in?

Comment

It should scare you that a school with a $41B endowment couldn’t figure out a way to safely bring students back to campus.

The plans from the schools your children attend are currently their best case scenarios for what the fall might look like. Do you want to bet those plans change between now an move in?
        Also consider Harvard, Princeton and others have some of the best scientific and medical minds in the country advising them.

Comment

Also consider Harvard, Princeton and others have some of the best scientific and medical minds in the country advising them.
          Ha, this is awesomely ignorant. I work at Brown and the administration is running around like a chicken with its head cut off. All the Ivies are looking at each other to see what the others do and then are trying to copy. I can tell you from first hand experience that what is being considered, as far as how campus is going to operate, has a lot more to do with "perception" than with reality. For example, when the CDC changed their stance regarding how the virus spreads from surface contact (i.e., not very easily), did Brown change their plans for cleaning? Hell no, they doubled down. Talking about hiring like 50 people to wipe down classrooms a bunch of times a day. It's all healthcare theater. And that's just one example.

Comment

Ha, this is awesomely ignorant. I work at Brown and the administration is running around like a chicken with its head cut off. All the Ivies are looking at each other to see what the others do and then are trying to copy. I can tell you from first hand experience that what is being considered, as far as how campus is going to operate, has a lot more to do with "perception" than with reality. For example, when the CDC changed their stance regarding how the virus spreads from surface contact (i.e., not very easily), did Brown change their plans for cleaning? Hell no, they doubled down. Talking about hiring like 50 people to wipe down classrooms a bunch of times a day. It's all healthcare theater. And that's just one example.
            "Healthcare theater" OR virus-anxiety? I keep wiping stuff down even while I think I'm crazed while doing it.

Comment

"Healthcare theater" OR virus-anxiety? I keep wiping stuff down even while I think I'm crazed while doing it.
              It's irrational virus anxiety leading to healthcare theater. It reminds me of airport security theater due to terrorism anxiety.

Comment

Ha, yep sounds about right. They are so smart they can't get out of their own way or think for themselves...people just relying in media hysteria and god knows what else is driving this rather than wondering why it's not being broadcast that we are having the lowest daily death totals since march

Comment

why it's not being broadcast that we are having the lowest daily death totals since march
                  Because that doesn't fit the narrative and won't Trump defeated.

Comment

Ha, yep sounds about right. They are so smart they can't get out of their own way or think for themselves...people just relying in media hysteria and god knows what else is driving this rather than wondering why it's not being broadcast that we are having the lowest daily death totals since march
                    Yeah, you're an expert alright

Comment

132K+, in the greatest country with the greatest scientists, physicians and hospitals in the world. Cases skyrocketing. Total silence at the top.

Next country...Brazil....60-something K deaths...and they basically went the Sweden route.

S. Korea still has under 300 deaths total.

Comment

132K+, in the greatest country with the greatest scientists, physicians and hospitals in the world. Cases skyrocketing. Total silence at the top.

Next country...Brazil....60-something K deaths...and they basically went the Sweden route.

SK used mandatory contact tracing and quarantines tracked with cell phones with severe penalties for those who didn’t follow the government’s mandates. There is no appitite in the US for that type of tracking and giving up of personal freedom.

Brazil is a hot mess and the growth of cases and deaths is far outpacing the US. We have a few hotspots picking up that opened up, but overall the US is in a decent place with the irus right now. Sorry, but your looking to blame Trump for nothing.

Comment

A lot of people are going to get it, being that it is a novel virus, right. We shouldn't be alarmed by the fact that people are getting it. The VAST majority are recovering. That fact won't get newspaper sold, or web clicks so the fear mongering continues.

Comment

A lot of people are going to get it, being that it is a novel virus, right. We shouldn't be alarmed by the fact that people are getting it. The VAST majority are recovering. That fact won't get newspaper sold, or web clicks so the fear mongering continues.
                            BINGO! So true.

Comment

SK used mandatory contact tracing and quarantines tracked with cell phones with severe penalties for those who didn’t follow the government’s mandates. There is no appitite in the US for that type of tracking and giving up of personal freedom.

Brazil is a hot mess and the growth of cases and deaths is far outpacing the US. We have a few hotspots picking up that opened up, but overall the US is in a decent place with the irus right now. Sorry, but your looking to blame Trump for nothing.
                              South Koreans did the right thing and wore masks. Same with Japan and China and much of the rest of Asia, all of whom have kept cases down. Didn't even need to be told, they did it for their communities and society. America is filled with selfish *****s.

If we were doing so well why are our citizens banned from going to other countries?

Comment

Yes South Korea used contact tracing but initially it was not cellphone based - it was a massive team of contact tracers. They also forced all international arrivals to quarantine for two weeks either at home or in government provided housing. If you went home a health official visited every other day to check you for symptoms and provided what you needed for food and other essentials. They now have a phone app for new arrivals. The other tech based systems came into effect more recently and it's limited in nature

"Learning from that outbreak, South Korea created an electronic entry and exit registration system for high-risk establishments such as nightclubs and gyms. From this week, people who want to visit such places need to get a QR code on their mobile phone and show it to the facility manager, who will scan the code into an encrypted file.

To address privacy concerns, health officials said the system would only be used when the country is at its highest -- red -- alert, and the information would be destroyed after four weeks."

Also critical to their success - universal use of masks and they had tests in place - that worked - almost immediately from the first case arriving. That first case showed up the same day the first one did in the US. Yet South Korea has fewer than 500 deaths, population about 50M, much of it highly condensed urban cities.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-a-second-wave
                                https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...secret/611215/

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X