Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should my kid join Valor?

My family and I moved to Maple Valley a couple of months ago and we are trying to decide if Valor will be a good fit for our kids (9, 12). We haven’t heard too many good things about Valor and we were wondering if we would be better off taking the extra drive time and shuttling our kids to PAC or WPFC. Both of our kids have played soccer for years and our older kid was on an “A” team and younger landed on a “B” team. They are very competitive kids and want a club that takes soccer seriously while still having fun. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My family and I moved to Maple Valley a couple of months ago and we are trying to decide if Valor will be a good fit for our kids (9, 12). We haven’t heard too many good things about Valor and we were wondering if we would be better off taking the extra drive time and shuttling our kids to PAC or WPFC. Both of our kids have played soccer for years and our older kid was on an “A” team and younger landed on a “B” team. They are very competitive kids and want a club that takes soccer seriously while still having fun. Any thoughts?
    Valor is fine, there is someone on here that has it in for Valor, but dont listen to them. They were formed as a result of the merger between Kent United and Maple Valley Premier. With a ton of kids in that area, they will have some success in the future. However, as Kent United and Maple Valley Premier were not top tier teams, most of the top kids at those age groups are split between PacNW and Eastside FC. WPFC is too far/too tough a commute. Eagleclaw is an option as well, but typically the top kids leave eagleclaw around 12/13 to play for a club that offers access to ECNL.

If you are looking for an easy commute and the ability for your kids to play club soccer with some friends from school give valor a try. If your 12 year old is talented, you will want to check out PacNW and Eastside FC to see if they can make ECNL.

Comment

WPFC does offer the multiple kid family practices and games at the same facility though. Your chances of that happening at PacNW is 50/50 at best.

Comment

Multiple kid family practice?

Comment

Multiple kid family practice?
          I think WPFC always has practices in the same location every time. Which can be very convenient. Imagine having to drive kid 1 to a location than having to drive kid 2 to another location than coming right back to pickup kid 1 than leaving to pick up kid 2.

Comment

I think WPFC always has practices in the same location every time. Which can be very convenient. Imagine having to drive kid 1 to a location than having to drive kid 2 to another location than coming right back to pickup kid 1 than leaving to pick up kid 2.
            I believe thats also true at PacNW (starfire) and Eastside FC (Preston)

Comment

Welcome to WA, I'm a sports photographer, manage 2 teams, and have 2 kids playing in the area so I see a lot of games. I'm over on the coaches side during games so I hear how coaches treat their kids.

Personally I think Valor does a good job, they are a newer club in the area. Doesn't look like they have many teams in Div 1. The teams I have seen move the ball well, kids play with intensity, and the coaches seem good.

I would go WPFC over Pac and day of the week. Much stronger club and better leadership.

Pac is known in the area for cheating on rosters and in recruiting they are not in good standing with the league at this point.

Pacs U13 girls A team is sitting in the middle of the pack in RCL Div 3, looks like their ECNL team is losing all their games including a 10-0 loss to crossfire.

Looking at boys U13 and they are also middle of the pack in RCL Div 3, and losing all their games at the ECNL level.

If your kids want the highest level of competition they should tryout for ECNL, but you should look at where the 2nd team fro each club is playing in the Regional Club League. If the top team is ECNL and the next team is 3 steps down, they aren't developing talent they are just drawing from a large enough area to have 1 good team.

You should be able to contact coaches and get your kids to some training sessions now to see if the coach and team are a good fit. Make sure to ask if the coach will have the team next year as new coaching slates are being put out now.

Comment

Good point on the post above, look at the 2nd team as well, the B Team. That will really tell you about how strong a club is.

Comment

I believe thats also true at PacNW (starfire) and Eastside FC (Preston)
                  Not true for games though. Doesn't seem like a big deal until the first time your home games are 30 minutes away from each other.

Comment

If your DD or DS is serious about soccer, I would not join Valor. EFC or PAC would the best choice.

Comment

Not true for games though. Doesn't seem like a big deal until the first time your home games are 30 minutes away from each other.
                      All eastside home games are at preston

Comment

Valor is fine, there is someone on here that has it in for Valor, but dont listen to them. They were formed as a result of the merger between Kent United and Maple Valley Premier. With a ton of kids in that area, they will have some success in the future. However, as Kent United and Maple Valley Premier were not top tier teams, most of the top kids at those age groups are split between PacNW and Eastside FC. WPFC is too far/too tough a commute. Eagleclaw is an option as well, but typically the top kids leave eagleclaw around 12/13 to play for a club that offers access to ECNL.

If you are looking for an easy commute and the ability for your kids to play club soccer with some friends from school give valor a try. If your 12 year old is talented, you will want to check out PacNW and Eastside FC to see if they can make ECNL.
                        Agree with this assessment.

The good news is this is the perfect time to check out each of the clubs. Go have your 12 year old play with the kids at Eastside FC, PacNW, and Valor. The timing is perfect, dont, i repeat DO NOT wait for tryouts.

Contact the teams coach (is your 12 year old 2009 or 2008?) most clubs will have the coaches contact readily available. If you dont get a response reach out to the coaching director.

Also- dont just show up. I’ve seen this through the year- Dad brings the son to the field and thinks that the coach is going to just notice dd or ds knocking in top bins. You are waisting your time. Just call or email and have your ds/dd join some trainings.

Finally, dont listen to all the bs about this coach, that coach, this club, that club... etc, etc... coaches will come and go. Most clubs will have them rotate and you never know when a coach may get a better offer from another club. Geography is important as traffic is terrible, and if you can, find the right kids and parents. That is the very elusive key.

What does your DS/DD feel about the other kids- which team did the like most?

Comment

Thank you to everyone for your responses; you all made excellent points! Since posting I have talked to some Valor parents in our age groups and it wasn’t very positive. A lot of complaints about being promised ECNL teams but they don’t see that coming to fruition. Plus the point made about not having very many teams in Division I...I looked that up and even a lot of their “A” teams were in Division 3 or 4. I don’t want my kids to be big fishes in a small pond! I talked with a dad that brings his kid to WPFC and he has been amazingly helpful! Introduced me to coaches and other parents and we have met kids on teams there; definitely a great fit for my kids! I’m from Cali so the drive to WPFC is not a big deal.
                          You all have helped me tremendously!

Comment

Looking at boys U13 and they are also middle of the pack in RCL Div 3, and losing all their games at the ECNL level.
                            Where are you getting this? Pac ECNL b08 has lost to XF twice, WPFC once, and won one/lost one with SU. They have won against EFC, Timbers x2, and Spokane x2.
                            6 wins, 4 losses doesn't exactly sound like losing all their games.

Comment

Thank you to everyone for your responses; you all made excellent points! Since posting I have talked to some Valor parents in our age groups and it wasn’t very positive. A lot of complaints about being promised ECNL teams but they don’t see that coming to fruition. Plus the point made about not having very many teams in Division I...I looked that up and even a lot of their “A” teams were in Division 3 or 4. I don’t want my kids to be big fishes in a small pond! I talked with a dad that brings his kid to WPFC and he has been amazingly helpful! Introduced me to coaches and other parents and we have met kids on teams there; definitely a great fit for my kids! I’m from Cali so the drive to WPFC is not a big deal.
                              You all have helped me tremendously!
                              What age and gender?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X