Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Marbullcrap. Completely wrong. If you put in 10,000 hours, you can achieve anything you put your mind to. Just ask Micheal Jordan. He didn't even make varsity basketball his Freshman year.
    This the the most hilarious post Ive read to date. Pure gold.

Comment

Marbullcrap. Completely wrong. If you put in 10,000 hours, you can achieve anything you put your mind to. Just ask Micheal Jordan. He didn't even make varsity basketball his Freshman year.
      Hopefully you are just joking...otherwise you must feel trapped in whatever world you are in...the parallel to the 10,000 hour rule is the 10 year rule, and this is common sense. If you decide you want to do something (anything) and you focus on it for 10 yars of deliberate learning... You will become professional at it. This says nothing about skill, speed of learning etc...merely you can choose anything. For example, say you are working at McDonald's...if you decide you want to be a physician, in 10 years you can do it...

As much crap as this idea is given it is important because way to many people overestia TE what they can do in 60 days, and underestimate what they can do in 10 years...

Comment

Hopefully you are just joking...otherwise you must feel trapped in whatever world you are in...the parallel to the 10,000 hour rule is the 10 year rule, and this is common sense. If you decide you want to do something (anything) and you focus on it for 10 yars of deliberate learning... You will become professional at it. This says nothing about skill, speed of learning etc...merely you can choose anything. For example, say you are working at McDonald's...if you decide you want to be a physician, in 10 years you can do it...

As much crap as this idea is given it is important because way to many people overestia TE what they can do in 60 days, and underestimate what they can do in 10 years...
        You must have meant "non-sense" right ?

You are right, I can go to school for 10 years and if I pass all the tests I can become a doctor. Not necessarily a good doctor, but an MD, a licensed professional.

However, just because I put in 10 years or 10,000 hours training to be a soccer player, doesnt mean I will be automatically chosen to be a professional player or that matter even a college player. That is still up to someone else to decide (objective).

Comment

Originally posted by Marbull View Post

You are right, I can go to school for 10 years and if I pass all the tests I can become a doctor. Not necessarily a good doctor, but an MD, a licensed professional.

However, just because I put in 10 years or 10,000 hours training to be a soccer player, doesnt mean I will be automatically chosen to be a professional player or that matter even a college player. That is still up to someone else to decide (objective).
          For the vast majority of people the scenario you're describing is basically the same. 10,000 hours of school won't necessarily provide the knowledge, skill or temperament to be a doctor. Most people simply aren't smart enough in the same way that even fewer are athletic enough to become professional athletes. Chances of becoming a doctor though are way higher if you put in the work.

Comment

I'm so glad that I read this thread. Now I know that my daughter is an expert. She started playing kiddie soccer at age 3. Now at 13, she has done her 10 years and is an expert. Bring on the scouts!

Comment

I'm so glad that I read this thread. Now I know that my daughter is an expert. She started playing kiddie soccer at age 3. Now at 13, she has done her 10 years and is an expert. Bring on the scouts!
              Dont you know. No scouts are necessary. She will receive her diploma in the mail in the next 30 days and will automatically be assigned to a professional team in the next coming draft. Congratulations !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Marbull View Post

Really?...hopefully you are not as thick as you sound...all this going on about 10,000 hours giving you something...it is not PASSIVE. It will not be done for you...if you put in 10,000 hours of active training, raising the level consistently, pushing more and more, studies have shown after that much work you will reach a proficiency...but it doesn't just happen to you...you have to work at it...the 10,000 hours of anything is work...and it needs to be work at something you have the ability for... If you are blind 10,000 hours will not make you see...I understand the arcasm and that people are joking around etc...but really you don't have to pretend to be stupid just to entertain us...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X