Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picks for ODP/RTC tournament this weekend?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I don't know. Soccer seems to have a more individual development focus, especially at the younger ages. I've been around football and basketball all my life and 98% of the time they are focused on winning the game today, as opposed to a mythical future that soccer tends to lead to. In soccer I hear that U10-U14 "doesn't matter", because those ages are all about individual development. I have never heard anything like that in football or basketball.

In soccer I also hear a lot more about college as the end goal, which is a very individual thing, vs in the other two sports you don't hear talk about that until the last two years of HS.
    You are correct that "developing players" has taken a central focus in soccer vs the focus on developing a winning team in the more traditional American sports. As a coach, a lot of this comes from the fact that in order to produce soccer teams that win at the higher levels of club soccer you need 13-14 players with a well rounded skill set. You can't take a kid and make them the Center on a football team, or a great hitter but below average fielder on a baseball team or just a spot up shooter on a basketball team.

At the top levels of club soccer, regionally or nationally, all of the field players need to be highly competent in their overall skills or the team will have very limited success. At that level the other coaches and opposing players are able to quickly recognize the lack in strong fundamental skills and will attack that player(s) all day long. Just as a high level high school or college Quarterback & Receiver will attack a week Defensive Back all day long.

Those coaches who have either played or coached at a high level regionally and nationally have experienced this directly with either their own teams or with opposing teams. You can be successful within Oregon by relying on 2-4 strong players and running the game through them. At those higher levels the opposing teams will be able to minimize their effectiveness.

If you don't focus on developing all of your individual players it tends to limit the success of your overall team once they get to U14 and older, particularly against top out of state opponents.

Comment

?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      There is just a slight difference between National Team event and the Eugene Jamboree where they are just going to scramble the team to pick the top 36. You would think that rthe coaches already have a good feel for most of the players already.

It is ODP's loss if they wish to not allow these players to make the State Pool. It is their choice if they want to open the door wider for the OPL Academy.

I don't think anyone is crying. Some people are just pointing out that it is a silly policy.
      OPL Academy kids haven't been left out. The only kids falling victim this time are OYSA kids. And a comparison of making the state Team at U14 should be a big deal. If it is not then those left out shouldn't care.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      Working...
      X