Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    OPL said it themselves in the letter they sent out. They did not want to pay the Timbers any money. the second issue is they felt there was an unfair recruiting advantage because the Timbers alliance. The unfair recruiting wasn't because one side was allowed to recruit and the other wasn't, they felt that because the Timbers were running the advanced programs they would recommend players to play for the Alliance clubs. Even if they did recommend it its still teh players decision where to play.

there is NO WHERE that says alliance clubs are allowed to recruit from the non alliance clubs, and vice versa. It was clearly a statement that because the Timbers are running the league that it woujld lead to an advantage for those clubs in recruiting. But there isn't any rules or anything that will help with that recruiting.

Why the hell would OPL need to pay them money? I would have told them to take a hike also.

Comment

the Timbers were willing to do that...they put their plan in front of the OPL prior to going to OYSA....OPL flat out turned down the Timbers Development Plan....so they took it somewhere else.
      So telling someone "it's my way or the highway" is the Timbers version of compromise? Sounds about right...

Comment

Why the hell would OPL need to pay them money? I would have told them to take a hike also.
        TA will not survive without that payoff money they were extorting from OPL. Timbers organization is going to dump this program in a couple years as the payoff/reward will not pan out.

Comment

OPL has done such a good job clouding everyone's memory it is incredible. 2 years ago every level OPL had was topped by their "Timbers" premiere league. The Timbers had a contract to develop a coordinated development curriculum, which never came to fruition, but OPL was paying the Timbers for all of this branding etc...that is now what the OPL calls "extortion". When OPL decided they didn't want to work with the Timbers anymore, the risk was created that if the Timbers go to OYSA this will suck away the boys at all of the OPL programs. This is not because of some devious recruiting method, it is just because the Timbers had brand recognition that had attraction to boys (ironically this very brand recognition was created by OPL. This is exactly the same as the chatter about ECNL creating a recruiting super power for girls.

Now it is time for OPL to get the cajones to stop blaming the Timbers for their problems, admit they made decisions, and bear whatever consequences there may be.

Simple as that...

Comment

OPL has done such a good job clouding everyone's memory it is incredible. 2 years ago every level OPL had was topped by their "Timbers" premiere league. The Timbers had a contract to develop a coordinated development curriculum, which never came to fruition, but OPL was paying the Timbers for all of this branding etc...that is now what the OPL calls "extortion". When OPL decided they didn't want to work with the Timbers anymore, the risk was created that if the Timbers go to OYSA this will suck away the boys at all of the OPL programs. This is not because of some devious recruiting method, it is just because the Timbers had brand recognition that had attraction to boys (ironically this very brand recognition was created by OPL. This is exactly the same as the chatter about ECNL creating a recruiting super power for girls.

Now it is time for OPL to get the cajones to stop blaming the Timbers for their problems, admit they made decisions, and bear whatever consequences there may be.

Simple as that...
            Meh. Me thinks you think to highly of lame MLS teams and their "name recognition" MLS is really the bottom of the barrel in professional soccer. And no one is really impressed with the kiddies running around with the MLS patch on, it really is a bore. I suppose to those in rural areas maybe it is a big thing. Whatever, I don't really care nor do I think about it. OPL is doing fine, as soon as ECNL gets here it's going to be even better.

Comment

Meh. Me thinks you think to highly of lame MLS teams and their "name recognition" MLS is really the bottom of the barrel in professional soccer. And no one is really impressed with the kiddies running around with the MLS patch on, it really is a bore. I suppose to those in rural areas maybe it is a big thing. Whatever, I don't really care nor do I think about it. OPL is doing fine, as soon as ECNL gets here it's going to be even better.
              Oh, I almost forgot to add, simple as that.

Comment

Simple as that...
                The only ones I hear crying are OYSA/TA types, I could care less about you and OSYA, there I admitted it now go away and dream of your kid playing in MLS.

Comment

It's all about marketing and promotion.

With the Timbers controlling ODP and the Timbers/Thorns Academy, that's their draw.

If/when the OPL gets ECNL recognition and/or forms NPL league alliances with NorCal and Seattle, the balance will equalize, especially at the older age groups looking for true advanced competition.

Comment

OPL said it themselves in the letter they sent out. They did not want to pay the Timbers any money. the second issue is they felt there was an unfair recruiting advantage because the Timbers alliance. The unfair recruiting wasn't because one side was allowed to recruit and the other wasn't, they felt that because the Timbers were running the advanced programs they would recommend players to play for the Alliance clubs. Even if they did recommend it its still teh players decision where to play.

there is NO WHERE that says alliance clubs are allowed to recruit from the non alliance clubs, and vice versa. It was clearly a statement that because the Timbers are running the league that it woujld lead to an advantage for those clubs in recruiting. But there isn't any rules or anything that will help with that recruiting.
                    That is my understanding of the key issue. I don't remember the exact numbers but for those that are not following closely, the Timbers Academy and Timbers Alliance are 2 different things that might be getting confused here. The Timbers Academy are the top players from any club. Maybe someone that knows more than I know can explain the details better so we can have a better discussion? I personally don't mind paying a few dollars to the Timbers Academy, or to Thorns or ODP, but it would be better to understand this more.

Comment

You are exactly right.
                      Of the divisions and age groups that I follow in both OYSA and OPL leagues, there are 2 or 3 top teams that dominate with many shutouts and runaway goal differentials.
                      The balance of the teams are largely "punching bags".
                      Exactly, the "dumbing down" of Oregon youth soccer.

Comment

That is my understanding of the key issue. I don't remember the exact numbers but for those that are not following closely, the Timbers Academy and Timbers Alliance are 2 different things that might be getting confused here. The Timbers Academy are the top players from any club. Maybe someone that knows more than I know can explain the details better so we can have a better discussion? I personally don't mind paying a few dollars to the Timbers Academy, or to Thorns or ODP, but it would be better to understand this more.
                        You should mind. The question is why should anyone involved in youth soccer be paying anything to support the Timbers? You pay when you buy a ticket, buy some food or drink at a game, or when you buy a shirt. You shouldn't have to pay the Timbers machine to have your kid participate in youth soccer. It's a profitable (+$9 million in 2012) professional team that has tripled in value since it was acquired by the multimillionaire son of a billionaire who is also an investor in the team. Sure they'll take your money if you don't mind giving it to them, but shouldn't they be doing giving and not taking?

Comment

Simple as that...
                          OPL was paying for the Timbers branding? Are you retarded?

Eastside Timbers and Westside Timbers are what make up the majority of the TA boys. Eastside was at one time run by the Timbers GM. Westside is run by John Bain who is another former Timbers. The clubs were dominant on the boy's side before the Timbers affiliation.

The Timbers brand recognition had attraction to the boys. Again are you retarded? I don't think there are that many boy's leaving their OPL club to go join a club because it is a Timber's club. It is more a matter if your club decided to be a TA club than you had to go to OYSA. I am sure the boy's did not get a vote based on their brand preference.

Comment

You should mind. The question is why should anyone involved in youth soccer be paying anything to support the Timbers? You pay when you buy a ticket, buy some food or drink at a game, or when you buy a shirt. You shouldn't have to pay the Timbers machine to have your kid participate in youth soccer. It's a profitable (+$9 million in 2012) professional team that has tripled in value since it was acquired by the multimillionaire son of a billionaire who is also an investor in the team. Sure they'll take your money if you don't mind giving it to them, but shouldn't they be doing giving and not taking?
                            Is the end product better than what the clubs were getting with OYSA or OPL? If it is a better value than I am okay with the Timber's making some money.

Just because someone else benefits does not mean it a worst deal for you.

Comment

OPL was paying for the Timbers branding? Are you retarded?

Eastside Timbers and Westside Timbers are what make up the majority of the TA boys. Eastside was at one time run by the Timbers GM. Westside is run by John Bain who is another former Timbers. The clubs were dominant on the boy's side before the Timbers affiliation.

The Timbers brand recognition had attraction to the boys. Again are you retarded? I don't think there are that many boy's leaving their OPL club to go join a club because it is a Timber's club. It is more a matter if your club decided to be a TA club than you had to go to OYSA. I am sure the boy's did not get a vote based on their brand preference.
                              I agree with you. But do not like the use of the word retarded. It's really an ignorant term to use in this forum. There are many parents that would love to waste their time talking about OYSA vs OPL. But unfortunately their kids were actually born retarded and they cannot relate. Change your language please.

Comment

Is the end product better than what the clubs were getting with OYSA or OPL? If it is a better value than I am okay with the Timber's making some money.

Just because someone else benefits does not mean it a worst deal for you.
                                Simple answer. No the product is not better. Why would it be?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X