Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Problem is that the OPL has no reason to simply fold up and roll over. They have half (give or take depending on age group) of the top teams in the state. There will need to be compromise at some point to get the leagues unified but it's not clear that the Timbers are willing to do that.
    I never said they would fold, i simply said they were the more likely of the two to fold into the other. I do agree some compromise will be needed, but in all honestly what exactly needs to be compromised? There were people saying that the timbers had all these horrible things you had to agree to, but I have seen the paperwork and it doesn't have anything crazy in it. Everythings pretty standard with entering a league. So what exactly is it that the OPL teams need to have? Thats something I haven't gotten a real answer to whenever I have asked. I have had people tell me stuff like "they have to give up all their best players" thats simply not true, a player can play wherever they want to play.

Comment

****I personally could care less which side caves, but just looking at it I think the OYSA league isn't folding anytime soon becuase the timbers wont let them do so (whether you like that or not, it is what it is) so because of that I am cheering for the OPL to fold because I see that as the more likely to happen option to get our kids all together again.
      Timbers have changed positions on things when they dealt with with serious fan/community revolt:

1. Portland Timbers Official Supporters Club, which really ticked off the Timbers Army. Initially they were able to get a couple of Timber Army members to come over, but it seriously ticked off a core of the Timbers Army and the Front Office eventually reengaged with the Army.

2. Lents Park for the Beavers.

In both cases, the Timbers' front office shifted gears when they realized they were alienated core fans or community groups.

EDIT - in response to the initial question, I think the split is an embarrassment for everyone involved in Oregon soccer, but as a silver lining it has been a catalyst for moving to smaller-sided games at younger ages.
      Last edited by Slow Xavi; 03-13-2014, 11:44 AM.

Comment

I never said they would fold, i simply said they were the more likely of the two to fold into the other. I do agree some compromise will be needed, but in all honestly what exactly needs to be compromised? There were people saying that the timbers had all these horrible things you had to agree to, but I have seen the paperwork and it doesn't have anything crazy in it. Everythings pretty standard with entering a league. So what exactly is it that the OPL teams need to have? Thats something I haven't gotten a real answer to whenever I have asked. I have had people tell me stuff like "they have to give up all their best players" thats simply not true, a player can play wherever they want to play.
        So then why did the TA have to go to OYSA in the first place?

Comment

So then why did the TA have to go to OYSA in the first place?
          Pretty simple, OYSA basically gave them free reign on how to run their programs and how to run their advanced programs. That doesn't mean running those programs affects everyone. Outside of players who want to play in the DA programs it really has very little affect on the average player.

Comment

Pretty simple, OYSA basically gave them free reign on how to run their programs and how to run their advanced programs. That doesn't mean running those programs affects everyone. Outside of players who want to play in the DA programs it really has very little affect on the average player.
            So what your saying is that in OYSA, TA is above everyone else, has free reign to do what they want. Otherwise, your statement makes no sense as to why they would leave OPL.

Comment

Problem is that the OPL has no reason to simply fold up and roll over. They have half (give or take depending on age group) of the top teams in the state. There will need to be compromise at some point to get the leagues unified but it's not clear that the Timbers are willing to do that.
              the Timbers were willing to do that...they put their plan in front of the OPL prior to going to OYSA....OPL flat out turned down the Timbers Development Plan....so they took it somewhere else.

Comment

The Timber's Alliance team had no choice, but to do OYSA.

It is like saying FCP, THUSC, or OSSA team could freely play in the OYSA league.

Comment

The Timber's Alliance team had no choice, but to do OYSA.

It is like saying FCP, THUSC, or OSSA team could freely play in the OYSA league.
                  What restrictions would the have if they played in OYSA??

Comment

the Timbers were willing to do that...they put their plan in front of the OPL prior to going to OYSA....OPL flat out turned down the Timbers Development Plan....so they took it somewhere else.

Why would they need permission for Timbers Development Plan? Unless the Timbers were asking for something that would put them above everyone else, and if that's the case I would have to deny them also.

Comment

What restrictions would the have if they played in OYSA??
                      They would have to allow the TA to freely recruit from their clubs and it only goes one way. You are not allowed to recruit from TA. Basically TA is the top and the rest of you in OYSA area just garbage.

Comment

They would have to allow the TA to freely recruit from their clubs and it only goes one way. You are not allowed to recruit from TA. Basically TA is the top and the rest of you in OYSA area just garbage.
                        This is a complete lie. The recruiting rules between clubs is still the same.

Comment

This is a complete lie. The recruiting rules between clubs is still the same.
                          Then what exactly is it that the Timbers presented to OPL that OPL denied??

Comment

Then what exactly is it that the Timbers presented to OPL that OPL denied??
                            OPL said it themselves in the letter they sent out. They did not want to pay the Timbers any money. the second issue is they felt there was an unfair recruiting advantage because the Timbers alliance. The unfair recruiting wasn't because one side was allowed to recruit and the other wasn't, they felt that because the Timbers were running the advanced programs they would recommend players to play for the Alliance clubs. Even if they did recommend it its still teh players decision where to play.

there is NO WHERE that says alliance clubs are allowed to recruit from the non alliance clubs, and vice versa. It was clearly a statement that because the Timbers are running the league that it woujld lead to an advantage for those clubs in recruiting. But there isn't any rules or anything that will help with that recruiting.

Comment

At first I was upset about the split.

But the farther down the line we go, I realize it might be a good thing. Competition among leagues to offer better services to better develop players.

There seems to be a bit of an urgency by both sides to get better.

Hopefully that will improve everyone. No guarantees though.

Comment

You are right, when you completely out match a team you can slow down and play what looks like very good soccer. However, when you then go and play the seattle teams or other good teams you get smoked because you haven't been developing at a fast paced game. Speed of play is a big concern/issue for the portland area teams when playing against cali and seattle. It maybe easy to pass the ball around with no pressure, but the only way to learn to keep position against a fast paced team you have to consistently play at a fast pace. Thats where we are really screwing our top teams right now. They aren't getting what they really need. But no matter what side you are on, until one side gives up and goes to the other side we are going to continue to have this watered down league system. I personally could care less which side caves, but just looking at it I think the OYSA league isn't folding anytime soon becuase the timbers wont let them do so (whether you like that or not, it is what it is) so because of that I am cheering for the OPL to fold because I see that as the more likely to happen option to get our kids all together again.

I am not disagreeing that playing at pace is essential to competing at the highest levels, that should be obvious. But at the younger ages you can't have a frenetic pace every single week and learn to play good quality soccer. If you do nothing but fight for loose balls, focus on winning and never establish possession how do you ever learn what you're suppose to be doing? These slower games help open their eyes to what can and should be done. Then at least when they play better quality teams they have the context from prior games and can work to play at the faster pace. This split did at least open my eyes to some benefits of broader competition that I simply didn't even acknowledge prior. At older ages I see few benefits from playing a broader range of abilities!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X