Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you Happy with the League Splits?

Now that Winter is over and Spring soccer is winding up too, how is it going? Are you happy with the level of competition in the OPL? In the OYSA? Do you think your club will stay put for the fall or make a change?

Has anyone els noticed a significant decline in the officiating quality? You used to get an occasional dud and everyone has off days, but this season it seems more like you occasionally get a good ref.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Now that Winter is over and Spring soccer is winding up too, how is it going? Are you happy with the level of competition in the OPL? In the OYSA? Do you think your club will stay put for the fall or make a change?
      It is what it is... The top part of our premier league has been great, there are some teams at the bottom who would realistically be silver if the leagues were united, but since everyone seems to be dug in for trench warfare, the kids are on the fields playing, and it is nearly time to turn focus to State Cup and the road to Albuquerque.

Comment

Has anyone els noticed a significant decline in the officiating quality? You used to get an occasional dud and everyone has off days, but this season it seems more like you occasionally get a good ref.
        Or has anyone noticed quantity of refs being down. Outside the metro area we always have three officials, but several times in the Portland area we have only had two.

Comment

Opl league is a joke. Playing everyone's B team is super fun!

My kid doesn't care so much as she is having fun so really it doesn't matter to much to me.

However, I bet this won't go on for another year as I do not think many of her teammates are thrilled.

Comment

Opl league is a joke. Playing everyone's B team is super fun!

My kid doesn't care so much as she is having fun so really it doesn't matter to much to me.

However, I bet this won't go on for another year as I do not think many of her teammates are thrilled.
            Insert OYSA and repeat.

Comment

Not happy but don't really feel like there is anything I can do about it.

Comment

I have a son in OYSA BU14 Premier and a daughter in the G'00 Premier....I am happy with the top divisions...very competitive games. Not sure what others say about the next division though

Comment

It's all good. The games have been competitive overall and the kids are having fun. No worries about the split.

Comment

It's all good. The games have been competitive overall and the kids are having fun. No worries about the split.
                    Happy with OPL, competition has been great. I also like being able to play the same team twice, once on their home field and one on ours which we are able to do now with less teams in the division.

Comment

Some Positives...

I have a son in OYSA BU14 Premier and a daughter in the G'00 Premier....I am happy with the top divisions...very competitive games. Not sure what others say about the next division though
                      No one should be happy, but I am realizing there are some major benefits to playing a much broader mix of abilities and styles at younger ages. It has allowed our girls to slow down a bit in many games which fosters better control, better teamwork, less fear of making mistakes and more willingness to try new techniques on the ball. If we were just one or two teams deeper at top I think it would be a great mix! Now is it working for bottom teams in the top division getting their butts kicked week in week out, probably not?!

Comment

It is what it is... The top part of our premier league has been great, there are some teams at the bottom who would realistically be silver if the leagues were united, but since everyone seems to be dug in for trench warfare, the kids are on the fields playing, and it is nearly time to turn focus to State Cup and the road to Albuquerque.
                        You are exactly right.
                        Of the divisions and age groups that I follow in both OYSA and OPL leagues, there are 2 or 3 top teams that dominate with many shutouts and runaway goal differentials.
                        The balance of the teams are largely "punching bags".

Comment

No one should be happy, but I am realizing there are some major benefits to playing a much broader mix of abilities and styles at younger ages. It has allowed our girls to slow down a bit in many games which fosters better control, better teamwork, less fear of making mistakes and more willingness to try new techniques on the ball. If we were just one or two teams deeper at top I think it would be a great mix! Now is it working for bottom teams in the top division getting their butts kicked week in week out, probably not?!
                          You are right, when you completely out match a team you can slow down and play what looks like very good soccer. However, when you then go and play the seattle teams or other good teams you get smoked because you haven't been developing at a fast paced game. Speed of play is a big concern/issue for the portland area teams when playing against cali and seattle. It maybe easy to pass the ball around with no pressure, but the only way to learn to keep position against a fast paced team you have to consistently play at a fast pace. Thats where we are really screwing our top teams right now. They aren't getting what they really need. But no matter what side you are on, until one side gives up and goes to the other side we are going to continue to have this watered down league system. I personally could care less which side caves, but just looking at it I think the OYSA league isn't folding anytime soon becuase the timbers wont let them do so (whether you like that or not, it is what it is) so because of that I am cheering for the OPL to fold because I see that as the more likely to happen option to get our kids all together again.

Comment

You are right, when you completely out match a team you can slow down and play what looks like very good soccer. However, when you then go and play the seattle teams or other good teams you get smoked because you haven't been developing at a fast paced game. Speed of play is a big concern/issue for the portland area teams when playing against cali and seattle. It maybe easy to pass the ball around with no pressure, but the only way to learn to keep position against a fast paced team you have to consistently play at a fast pace. Thats where we are really screwing our top teams right now. They aren't getting what they really need. But no matter what side you are on, until one side gives up and goes to the other side we are going to continue to have this watered down league system. I personally could care less which side caves, but just looking at it I think the OYSA league isn't folding anytime soon becuase the timbers wont let them do so (whether you like that or not, it is what it is) so because of that I am cheering for the OPL to fold because I see that as the more likely to happen option to get our kids all together again.
                            Problem is that the OPL has no reason to simply fold up and roll over. They have half (give or take depending on age group) of the top teams in the state. There will need to be compromise at some point to get the leagues unified but it's not clear that the Timbers are willing to do that.

Comment

Your so full of it. OYSA kool aid drinker from the start. Trying to sound diplomatic. OPL is not going to fold. Sorry buddy, not going to happen.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X