Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    There are now numerous avenues to identify talent for the youth National Teams and the old ODP model is quickly being marginalized.
    The mention of ODP was only because there are no other options currently for Oregon female soccer players that remotely resemble higher level soccer. ODP nationally is on the decline in terms of quality of athlete.
    For the higher level female soccer player the majority of top talent is moving to the ECNL model and those players are finding that ODP is not necessary and often conflicts with their ECNL efforts/schedule. Thus, choosing the more fruitful option: ECNL exclusively.
    Certainly don't need to believe me. For an excellent example simply look north to Seattle. WA "EDP", their ODP program, has lost the majority of their U14 and older players to Crossfire and WPFC ECNL programs. Some GU14s are trying to do both but by U15 they abandon ODP.
    We tend to have an over inflated (myopic) opinion of ODP in Oregon because we don't have another option for our better players. I'd also like to point out that our older ODP teams tend to be weak as the best (20%) players realize the expense and effort isn't worth it and they focus on their club team and showcases. Our ODP program seems to be pretty robust (in terms of numbers) in the first couple age groups but fizzle at the oldest two.
    I believe an ECNL option in Portland will be a huge benefit to the state's top players. Remember we're only talking about the best players which only includes the top ~30 kids in the area. (more depending on one or two clubs/teams)
    And this is why I want the Thorns to get ECNL. If ODP and ECNL are under the same umbrella, similar to boys, less dilution. ODP is pre academy to academy and ODP can be feeder to ECNL with all the best players going one place.

Comment

And this is why I want the Thorns to get ECNL. If ODP and ECNL are under the same umbrella, similar to boys, less dilution. ODP is pre academy to academy and ODP can be feeder to ECNL with all the best players going one place.
      You are assuming all the top players do ODP.

Comment

no I am saying that top players will be more inclined to do ODP if it becomes the feeder to the Thorns ECNL. That is exactly how the boys is set up. ODP is essentially pre academy for the academy. 95% or more of the top talent does ODP on the boys side and it feeds the academy. It is all under the Timbers umbrella. I think the same thing could happen on the girls side and it would work very nicely if it was all under one umbrella, rather than have ODP under the Thorns/Timbers and ECNL at a different club.

Comment

no I am saying that top players will be more inclined to do ODP if it becomes the feeder to the Thorns ECNL. That is exactly how the boys is set up. ODP is essentially pre academy for the academy. 95% or more of the top talent does ODP on the boys side and it feeds the academy. It is all under the Timbers umbrella. I think the same thing could happen on the girls side and it would work very nicely if it was all under one umbrella, rather than have ODP under the Thorns/Timbers and ECNL at a different club.
          Must be a parent of a Timber

Comment

All but your kid. Your kid getting cut doesn't help your ego does it?

Comment

response
              All but your kid. Your kid getting cut doesn't help your ego does it?
              I did post the above comment that generated that response, but really it is spot on. Ego has nothing to do with it. It may vary by age group, but in the 2000 girls group, many of the top players have dropped out of ODP. It is ridiculous to assume that ODP = best players. Many outstanding players simply don't do it. I would agree that if there was a direct path from ODP to ECNL, more of those girls would stay in ODP.

Comment

Must be a parent of a Timber
                Maybe but do you disagree? It makes sense and would be good for girls soccer. We should want top talented players in ODP feeding in to ECNL. Under one umbrella works best.

Comment

Maybe but do you disagree? It makes sense and would be good for girls soccer. We should want top talented players in ODP feeding in to ECNL. Under one umbrella works best.
                  No it doesn't make sense. ODP is an antiquated system that is declining nationally. Why perpetuate a declining system?

Comment

No it doesn't make sense. ODP is an antiquated system that is declining nationally. Why perpetuate a declining system?
                    Baa...Baaaa...is it fun being a sheep, no reason to do anything based on logic...just do it because OPL told me so...baa

Comment

Baa...Baaaa...is it fun being a sheep, no reason to do anything based on logic...just do it because OPL told me so...baa
                      Small minded ignorant people. Step outside Oregon and learn. There is no reason to be a backwater state falling behind because we stick with a failing system... Oh wait! We are RTFC FL! We should be teaching our daughters how to cook and not soccer either.

Comment

And you sound like a drone "meep, hoop odp is an antiquated system…we are perpetuating a declining system…"

Try to make it a little less obvious you are parroting someone. If you love your DOC and he told you this, use some additional original thought. Try to add something to the discussion instead of just repeating the same sorry com nets over and over...

Comment

?

I did post the above comment that generated that response, but really it is spot on. Ego has nothing to do with it. It may vary by age group, but in the 2000 girls group, many of the top players have dropped out of ODP. It is ridiculous to assume that ODP = best players. Many outstanding players simply don't do it. I would agree that if there was a direct path from ODP to ECNL, more of those girls would stay in ODP.
                          Funny, again you point of view must be skewed. Cause most believe best 2000g girls are still involved. Last year's starting 11 from state team were all there in PHX but 1.

Comment

Funny, again you point of view must be skewed. Cause most believe best 2000g girls are still involved. Last year's starting 11 from state team were all there in PHX but 1.
                            the 2000 age group was represented by all the strong clubs, OPL and OYSA alike. There were a few that haven't been out to ODP in the past that still weren't there, but all-in-all there was a strong showing this year from the state for this age group.

Comment

the 2000 age group was represented by all the strong clubs, OPL and OYSA alike. There were a few that haven't been out to ODP in the past that still weren't there, but all-in-all there was a strong showing this year from the state for this age group.
                              I generally would agree but I am considering taking my dd to Seattle where the competition is better. A few parents have been talking about it so we can share the drive.

Comment

I generally would agree but I am considering taking my dd to Seattle where the competition is better. A few parents have been talking about it so we can share the drive.
                                Seattle would be a smart move.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X