•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Signed - Old Lyme parent worried about the title

(tell your kid to play harder)
    Isn’t Immaculate a Catholic school? With the nasty on here I can’t believe these parents made the choice for religion.

Comment

1. Yes. I know for a fact that they don’t. I used to work in the BPort Diocese that all schools fall under. They barely have need based aid. Don’t confuse Catholic schools with Prep schools like Choate, Loomis, Pomfret...

2. The OL kids went to middle school together did they not? Some probably play club together. Private school kids might have gone to 28 different middle schools.

3. They aren’t luring players. They are luring students. Many do not play a sport. There is also the disadvantage of cost. Many families can not afford it so that limits the pool considerably.

Same size school. No scholarships. Just because they come from a number of different towns you think that’s an advantage? That’s a silly argument. Now what would be unfair is a school twice the size competing against smaller schools. They have far more students to draw from. Old Lyme also draws from more than one town. Maybe they shouldn’t be allowed in S either. Lol. They’ve won three straight titles. Stop crying. What’s unfair are schools getting moved up into L and LL that are not schools of those size who may never win a title, while little crap kicker teams get to hoist a plaque. That’s the real travesty.
      Schools of choice belong in their own conferences and tournaments. It is simply a different set of rules they play under:

The CIAC Boys’ Basketball Committee adjusted its state tournament divisions a few years ago because of inherent advantages schools of choice own over public schools, whose enrollments remain confined to town borders.

imhs "draws" from 28 towns, and, TWO STATES! Come on!!

Comment

Schools of choice belong in their own conferences and tournaments. It is simply a different set of rules they play under:

The CIAC Boys’ Basketball Committee adjusted its state tournament divisions a few years ago because of inherent advantages schools of choice own over public schools, whose enrollments remain confined to town borders.

If they do that they should only have one division and one state title. The rest of the teams are garbage. They aren’t deserving of a state title. Enough with the everybody deserves a medal, crap. Win or be gone!

Comment

1. Yes. I know for a fact that they don’t. I used to work in the BPort Diocese that all schools fall under. They barely have need based aid. Don’t confuse Catholic schools with Prep schools like Choate, Loomis, Pomfret...

2. The OL kids went to middle school together did they not? Some probably play club together. Private school kids might have gone to 28 different middle schools.

3. They aren’t luring players. They are luring students. Many do not play a sport. There is also the disadvantage of cost. Many families can not afford it so that limits the pool considerably.

Same size school. No scholarships. Just because they come from a number of different towns you think that’s an advantage? That’s a silly argument. Now what would be unfair is a school twice the size competing against smaller schools. They have far more students to draw from. Old Lyme also draws from more than one town. Maybe they shouldn’t be allowed in S either. Lol. They’ve won three straight titles. Stop crying. What’s unfair are schools getting moved up into L and LL that are not schools of those size who may never win a title, while little crap kicker teams get to hoist a plaque. That’s the real travesty.
          I know for a fact that some star athletes get discounts at Catholic school. It's real, it happens.
          Catholic schools are private schools. They should play in the private school leagues.

Comment

I know for a fact that some star athletes get discounts at Catholic school. It's real, it happens.
            Catholic schools are private schools. They should play in the private school leagues.
            Have to jump in here. I worked at a catholic HS and know for a fact that they do not. They barely have need based aid as someone else said. If you have a friend that is telling you their kid received athletic money at a catholic school they are lying. Need based maybe. Wouldn’t be the first time a parent said something to make their kid seem special. But you are 100% incorrect. Call the diocese if you don’t believe it. Or any catholic HS in the state.

Comment

No problem with that. But then just dump the rest of the crap teams that aren’t deserving of a title as another poster said. Don’t move the best ones against each other just so the lousy teams can win.

Comment

Let me just help them out here. There is one glaring hole in their argument. Just because a school draws from 28 different towns, doesn’t mean they are drawing athletes or soccer players. If they have the same enrollment as Old Lyme, then they are drawing from the same potential number of players. Not like they give athletic scholarships. Secondly, the Old Lyme kids have the advantage of having played together for many years, where Immaculate kids likely for only a couple.

So shove the stupidity. Here’s hoping IHS smashes this loud mouth idiot into obvlion where he belongs. Esther!!!! It’s the big one!!!! In this case, PG the modern day Fred G Sanford, the G stands for “gobbledygook”.

Their coach is 100% right. And you appear to be clueless. IHS recruits soccer players - in violation of CIAC rules. Until that is completely stopped, the playing field will never be at all level. I hope Old Lyme smashes them - but I know they have no chance. The only solution is for CT to join NY and NJ in having a separate tournament for private schools.

Comment

I also know someone at a catholic school who's tuition is greatly discounted specifically because the kid is an athlete. Anyone who thinks this isn't happening is naive.

Comment

I also know someone at a catholic school who's tuition is greatly discounted specifically because the kid is an athlete. Anyone who thinks this isn't happening is naive.
                    I can tell you my kid received a scholarship and went to a well known catholic school in Fairfield county and played soccer. It was not given for athletics though her participation on the soccer team was expected.

Comment

Ihs does not give scholarship money to athletes

Comment

These posts are ridiculous. Immaculate does not recruit soccer players. Most of the girls on the soccer team went to Catholic School growing up and immaculate is the closest Catholic High School to where they live. They are lucky to have enough girls for varsity and a JV team. Some girls play on both teams so Nelson doesnt have to cut anybody. Some years there aren't enough girls for a JV. You people act like the team is an All Star team. Most of the girls only play high school soccer and do not even play in the spring.
                        Most of the kids that go to immaculate are from Danbury and the bordering towns. So If there are kids from 23 other towns, there are probably only a couple from each of those towns and they certainly aren't there for girls soccer. There are 400 kids at immaculate. 200 girls. That is a small School. They are not recruiting for soccer or giving any money for soccer. The starting team this year consists of 4 seniors, 5 freshman and 2 sophomores. If he was recruiting I'm sure there would be some Juniors and more sophmores.
                        Nelson is a very good coach. He gets the best out of his players every year. You can even say they play above their abilities.
                        Public schools get an influx of new players every year because towns have travel teams at every age level. So they know they should get girls at every position coming in as freshman. Nelson never knows what he will get from year to year.

Comment

Their coach is 100% right. And you appear to be clueless. IHS recruits soccer players - in violation of CIAC rules. Until that is completely stopped, the playing field will never be at all level. I hope Old Lyme smashes them - but I know they have no chance. The only solution is for CT to join NY and NJ in having a separate tournament for private schools.
                          you sound like a whiney bitch- these girls at old lyme earned their way to the finals, they are going into probably the biggest game they have ever played in and you are already giving the excuse of why they have already lost. i would hate to be your kid. its not your fault Mia the system is unfair-guess what so is life.
                          they will win or lose based on their efforts -not some fat F with his excuse already in hand
                          for Christ sake they arent playing the USWNT, they are playing girls their age.no matter how it goes they will survive-you on the other hand will be bitter long after they hsve gotten over it

and if you think these kids are getting cash for playing, why dont you call up the admissions office and tell them your kids a stud and whats the offer-they will laugh and then hang up on your crazy azz

Comment

It’s a small town high school against a private school. Should be pretty one sided.

Old Lyme has the best player. Would love to see them sit back and play to her on counters

Comment

you sound like a whiney bitch- these girls at old lyme earned their way to the finals, they are going into probably the biggest game they have ever played in and you are already giving the excuse of why they have already lost. i would hate to be your kid. its not your fault Mia the system is unfair-guess what so is life.
                              they will win or lose based on their efforts -not some fat F with his excuse already in hand
                              for Christ sake they arent playing the USWNT, they are playing girls their age.no matter how it goes they will survive-you on the other hand will be bitter long after they hsve gotten over it

and if you think these kids are getting cash for playing, why dont you call up the admissions office and tell them your kids a stud and whats the offer-they will laugh and then hang up on your crazy azz
                              Brad,
                              I know they moved the game to Sunday, but you really shouldn’t hit the bottle so hard.

Comment

Old Lyme draws from at least 4 different towns. They have players on their rosters from Lyme, Old Lyme, Clinton and Westbrook.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X