Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    A sound plan. Academics should always take priority - don't think athletics will get your kid into a top school. If she's doing sports that use very different muscle groups, over use should be less of an issue. Doing different things also prevents mental burnout.
    My D has played soccer only since she was 5. She is now a D1 starter and loves the game more than ever.

Comment

My D has played soccer only since she was 5. She is now a D1 starter and loves the game more than ever.
      That is great. 38 percent followed a different path that worked out for them. Pay attention ot the child at hand and choose wisely. They are all unique.

Comment

That is great. 38 percent followed a different path that worked out for them. Pay attention ot the child at hand and choose wisely. They are all unique.
        Wise words. She has skates, softball gear, lacrosse and hockey sticks, a skateboard, basketball, football, tennis racket, and running spikes gathering dust in the basement, almost unused.

Comment

I think it really comes down to the individual kid. Some kids, and it's pretty obvious from a fairly early age, are just enamored with soccer and can be almost obsessive about it. Those are the kids who are most likely to be single sport soccer athletes, and most likely to become elite players. Some parents may try to force another sport on these kids during the early ages for the sake of balance, but it usually proves to be futile and the second sport is dropped within a couple of years due to lack of interest.

Other kids are really happy switching sports up every season and they need this change to keep them from getting burnt out on a single sport. If they are really great athletes and end up choosing soccer as their main sport by the end of high school, many will be able to play in college, but won't make a top D1 team (which probably wasn't their goal in the first place).

Kids end up at the level they are supposed to in the end, given the amount of work and time they are willing to put into their sports. It's the parents who pose the biggest challenge, as some have much higher ambitions for their kids than the kids have for themselves. I have two multi-sport kids and one single sport kid all playing soccer. The difference between the mentality of the single sport player toward soccer is stark. There are parents of only multi-sport kids who just don't understand how much extra time the single sport kids are putting in outside of practice. Some feel their kid is such a great athlete that they can compensate for the lack of time put in. This may work up to a certain age, but sooner or later, they won't be able to keep up. That's when a parent has to be happy with the level their kid has achieved (the kid usually isn't worried about it, unless the parent is) and not push them to try to keep up with players spending 10X the amount of time on the sport.

Comment

Wise words. She has skates, softball gear, lacrosse and hockey sticks, a skateboard, basketball, football, tennis racket, and running spikes gathering dust in the basement, almost unused.
            Mine will use them. And then go on to college D1 soccer!

Comment

I think it really comes down to the individual kid. Some kids, and it's pretty obvious from a fairly early age, are just enamored with soccer and can be almost obsessive about it. Those are the kids who are most likely to be single sport soccer athletes, and most likely to become elite players. Some parents may try to force another sport on these kids during the early ages for the sake of balance, but it usually proves to be futile and the second sport is dropped within a couple of years due to lack of interest.

Other kids are really happy switching sports up every season and they need this change to keep them from getting burnt out on a single sport. If they are really great athletes and end up choosing soccer as their main sport by the end of high school, many will be able to play in college, but won't make a top D1 team (which probably wasn't their goal in the first place).

Kids end up at the level they are supposed to in the end, given the amount of work and time they are willing to put into their sports. It's the parents who pose the biggest challenge, as some have much higher ambitions for their kids than the kids have for themselves. I have two multi-sport kids and one single sport kid all playing soccer. The difference between the mentality of the single sport player toward soccer is stark. There are parents of only multi-sport kids who just don't understand how much extra time the single sport kids are putting in outside of practice. Some feel their kid is such a great athlete that they can compensate for the lack of time put in. This may work up to a certain age, but sooner or later, they won't be able to keep up. That's when a parent has to be happy with the level their kid has achieved (the kid usually isn't worried about it, unless the parent is) and not push them to try to keep up with players spending 10X the amount of time on the sport.
              The best post I have ever read on TS. Thank you!

Comment

Why would anyone let their kid become a drone to one sport? If kid decides after experiencing other sports and just drawn to one then different story.

Comment

Why would anyone let their kid become a drone to one sport? If kid decides after experiencing other sports and just drawn to one then different story.
                  That's how it works dopey, unless you're Earl Woods.

Comment

I can't and won't make them do something they don't want to do.

I played 3 sports and couldn't imagine giving any of them up until I had to in college. But, from my experience, she just doesn't want to.

Or, I should clarify, a few times she has said "I want to play basketball" or "I want to try lacrosse". I say sure. When the time comes to try out, she changes her mind. This goes on after 3-4 years, so I don't bother to ask anymore.

There are other activities one can do (skiing, climbing, etc.), but I won't drag her down by her earlobe against her wishes.

Comment

And you said it in two sentences. I didnt get lost halfway through it.
                      Dont you people work?

Comment

That's how it works dopey, unless you're Earl Woods.
                        Maybe I am reincarnated. How's your swing? You can be sneezy if we are naming dwarfs.

Comment

But the vast, vast majority will never be D1 athletes or anything close. Kids dedicating themselves early to one sport have a greater likelihood of burning out or flat lining. Having given up other sports they're now behind their peers in those sports and have a hard time re-entering or starting something new. Parents need to be more realistic about where their kids are going.
                          This is an excellent post, but we have pay-to-play, so consumers and the market have spoken loud and clear.

Comment

This is an excellent post, but we have pay-to-play, so consumers and the market have spoken loud and clear.
                            As have the athletes. Many are really enjoying school sports and are undeterred from participating. Some say no thanks but lots are choosing to take advantage of school soccer and other scholastic sports like track, lax, basketball, etc. and still do pay to play club soccer.

Comment

It's very hard to grow up in America without at least some exposure to multiple sports. Kids play all sorts of sports in gym class, on the playground, at friends' houses, in their own neighborhood, at summer camp and can learn about all sorts of non-standard sports by seeing them on TV. Most also have exposure to swimming as a safety measure.

Just because some parents ask their kids initially to choose one organized sport to participate in on a pay basis (due to financial or time constraints) doesn't mean they are limiting their kid from being exposed to other sports. Most single sports kids, whether the initial sign-up was their choice or their parent's choice, end up really liking the sport and most likely have some success during their first season, so they want to keep going with it, even when asked if they want to switch to a different organized sport. It would be very rare for a kid to be a single sport athlete due to parents keeping them from being exposed any other sports.

Comment

As have the athletes. Many are really enjoying school sports and are undeterred from participating. Some say no thanks but lots are choosing to take advantage of school soccer and other scholastic sports like track, lax, basketball, etc. and still do pay to play club soccer.
                                And volleyball, swimming, baseball, softball gymnastics, etc. all enjoyed by lots of soccer players.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X