X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Again.

The problem is that we don't have good athletes playing soccer. We do. The USMNT isn't a bunch of slow fat slugs.

The problem is that we don't produce, compared to the rest of the world, good soccer players.

It's not the size, or speed, or strenght, or stamina, or reflexes that are lacking. It's our touch, our tactics, our technique.

Usain Bolt has been attracting attention for his soccer career. And he's succeeding--for lower division clubs. I can guarantee you that EPL or La Liga clubs aren't going to sign him--he may be fast, but he's not a world class soccer player. He's good enough to play lower division, it appears--but so are a lot of guys.
    The problem is most people in the US don't care about MLS soccer and even less people care about the development of players for the USMNT.

Think about. How many people care about USA Basketball. Is there even a USA Football?

People don't really care about soccer in the US. High school basketball and football get more coverage that MLS soccer. People care even less about the USMNT that play in a WC once every 4 year.... in our case once in 8 years.

It is just not in our culture.

Also, soccer as in most sports requires a certain amount of skills which take time to develop. Just because Usain Bolt is not successful in his attempt to make it in soccer does not mean that he would not have been very successful if he had focused on soccer instead of track. You can't simply put a big fast kid and expect him play at the NBA level.

Comment

The problem is most people in the US don't care about MLS soccer and even less people care about the development of players for the USMNT.

Think about. How many people care about USA Basketball. Is there even a USA Football?

People don't really care about soccer in the US. High school basketball and football get more coverage that MLS soccer. People care even less about the USMNT that play in a WC once every 4 year.... in our case once in 8 years.

It is just not in our culture.

Also, soccer as in most sports requires a certain amount of skills which take time to develop. Just because Usain Bolt is not successful in his attempt to make it in soccer does not mean that he would not have been very successful if he had focused on soccer instead of track. You can't simply put a big fast kid and expect him play at the NBA level.
      But dont you think at youth levels parents are starting to turn there children away from football? It seems natural to me that the fall sport that benefits would be soccer. Football numbers are way down across the USA.

Comment

But dont you think at youth levels parents are starting to turn there children away from football? It seems natural to me that the fall sport that benefits would be soccer. Football numbers are way down across the USA.
        I read somewhere that youth football in Oregon is down 10%.

Not sure if the players are going to soccer. It seems like lacrosse is gaining popularity. I am not even sure what season lacrosse

Comment

I read somewhere that youth football in Oregon is down 10%.

Not sure if the players are going to soccer. It seems like lacrosse is gaining popularity. I am not even sure what season lacrosse
          Hit send accidentally

Was going to say most sports seem to be year round now when you add HS and Club.

Football has too much tradition and will not go away.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X