Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just heard a huge local rumor that allegedly will be announced very soon. Cannot confirm so I don’t want to post gossip, but has anyone heard anything that they can confirm? It’s about GDA/ECNL.
    Something about a club? Give us more details...what is this board without gossip??

Comment

Something about a club? Give us more details...what is this board without gossip??
      Oh stop, this guy is waiting for his wife to come home and make dinner, so he's sitting behind his keyboard playing third grade games.

Comment

Two top area clubs, Stars and PDA, are out. Two very weak clubs, LISC and Empire, probably out. Not many clubs left to play. Will they combine with the Mid Atlantic group? That amount of travel might push out many non starters who don't think it's worth it any longer. Fewer top clubs at national events too. The low performing clubs and players should be out. No need for dead wood. But the top clubs bowing out hurts. Lessens the league's prestige, lowers the competitive level.

Comment

I did hear from multiple families that they are leaving Fury DA to go back to EMSC. They are not happy with a lot of different things. They said that there are many unhappy families across the age groups.

Comment

Two top area clubs, Stars and PDA, are out. Two very weak clubs, LISC and Empire, probably out. Not many clubs left to play. Will they combine with the Mid Atlantic group? That amount of travel might push out many non starters who don't think it's worth it any longer. Fewer top clubs at national events too. The low performing clubs and players should be out. No need for dead wood. But the top clubs bowing out hurts. Lessens the league's prestige, lowers the competitive level.
            GDA should refocus itself as an "Academy" over a being a "League". Make the experience more consistent with a standardized curriculum and practice plan. Standardize the product, cost, etc. so that each "club" is more like a franchise that operates and feels the same. Have a model where the clubs can paid fairly and it is a sustainable business.

Remove the need to travel hundreds of miles weekly for a single game. Instead focus on development, arrange intra-squad or regular games with other nearby GDAs without standings (and reduce the subbing restrictions). Give players chances to play and grow. Then have competitive games 3-4 weekends with other regional clubs at different spots. It is a different than the other leagues and really focuses on the development and commitment of these players.

Comment

Girls DA

I did hear from multiple families that they are leaving Fury DA to go back to EMSC. They are not happy with a lot of different things. They said that there are many unhappy families across the age groups.
              I think there are many li da parents unhappy. It’s a shame where are all these kids going to go next year?

Comment

Makes sense, but would EM take them back? Also have players who went from Alby ECNL to Fury DA, hearing anything there?

Comment

I think the next few weeks will be some reflection for GDA parents -- many may start to wonder about returning back to ECNL, especially when their "club" offers it (i.e. NYCFC > WCFC, Fury > Alby). I think many are now realizing GDA itself isn't necessarily offering more and the experience hasn't been what they expected. If enough players decide one league vs. the other, then a sea change might occur for the bulk of the team.

Comment

I think the next few weeks will be some reflection for GDA parents -- many may start to wonder about returning back to ECNL, especially when their "club" offers it (i.e. NYCFC > WCFC, Fury > Alby). I think many are now realizing GDA itself isn't necessarily offering more and the experience hasn't been what they expected. If enough players decide one league vs. the other, then a sea change might occur for the bulk of the team.
                    One parent said her daughter wants to play for her HS team for her senior season and missed it. She has already committed to a college, but would not commit to leaving Fury yet.

Comment

I think there are many li da parents unhappy. It’s a shame where are all these kids going to go next year?
                      The kids are the ones getting screwed in all of the turmoil. I feel bad for them.

Comment

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/coll...d2941-32723993

NCAA adopts new DI recruiting legislation
                        Article Written by Travis Clark
                        Published: April 20, 2018
                        Comments
                        The NCAA announced this week the adoption of new rules legislation overseeing the athletic recruiting process for Division I sports. The Division I Council voted to adopt the rules on Tuesday and Wednesday during meetings in Indiannapolis.

For soccer, the immediate impact (effective April 25, 2018) is that athletic departments can’t participate in a recruit’s unofficial visit until Sept. 1 of the recruit’s junior year in high school. Additionally, recruiting conversations during a school’s camp or clinic can’t happen before Sept. 1 of a prospective recruit's junior year.

Starting later this fall (effective August 1, 2018), official visits can now begin Sept. 1 of a prospect’s junior year in high school instead of the first day of classes for senior year, which was the rule previously.

The move comes as several sports, including women's soccer, grapple with the earlier trends of offering players scholarships before even reaching high school. A study compiled by the NCAA, demonstrated in a few slides pulled from an NCAA research project completed in conjunction with the Student Athletes Advisory Council. It shines a light on how soccer recruiting stacks up with other sports.

women's timing recruiting

men's soccer recruiting timing

As evidence by the charts above, recruiting contact starts much earlier in women's Division I soccer. That's reinforced below by the chart of when a player commits, as the average for a men's DI soccer player is junior year, while it's in the sophomore year for women's.

commitment made

Additional legislation is expected but not until April 2019.

Comment

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/coll...d2941-32723993

NCAA adopts new DI recruiting legislation
                          Article Written by Travis Clark
                          Published: April 20, 2018
                          Comments
                          The NCAA announced this week the adoption of new rules legislation overseeing the athletic recruiting process for Division I sports. The Division I Council voted to adopt the rules on Tuesday and Wednesday during meetings in Indiannapolis.

For soccer, the immediate impact (effective April 25, 2018) is that athletic departments can’t participate in a recruit’s unofficial visit until Sept. 1 of the recruit’s junior year in high school. Additionally, recruiting conversations during a school’s camp or clinic can’t happen before Sept. 1 of a prospective recruit's junior year.

Starting later this fall (effective August 1, 2018), official visits can now begin Sept. 1 of a prospect’s junior year in high school instead of the first day of classes for senior year, which was the rule previously.

The move comes as several sports, including women's soccer, grapple with the earlier trends of offering players scholarships before even reaching high school. A study compiled by the NCAA, demonstrated in a few slides pulled from an NCAA research project completed in conjunction with the Student Athletes Advisory Council. It shines a light on how soccer recruiting stacks up with other sports.

women's timing recruiting

men's soccer recruiting timing

As evidence by the charts above, recruiting contact starts much earlier in women's Division I soccer. That's reinforced below by the chart of when a player commits, as the average for a men's DI soccer player is junior year, while it's in the sophomore year for women's.

commitment made

Additional legislation is expected but not until April 2019.
                          I see two huge issues with this.

1. Sept 1? Isn’t this right in the middle of the soccer college season? How can they recruit during this time. Also, junior year? Don’t kids have SATs and school to worry about? Not to mention their soccer season. Sept 1 is awful. Is anything make it July 1. Makes a ton more sense.

2. Taking families out of the recruiting process is going to lead to them being beholden to their club coach. Recruiting will still go on. College coaches will find creative ways. One obvious way is to reach out to the kids club coach. This coach may hold this over certain kids. Gives club coaches way to much power. What if a kid wants to change clubs. Will this coach now bad mouth this kid? Going to be a huge issue as well.

Comment

One parent said her daughter wants to play for her HS team for her senior season and missed it. She has already committed to a college, but would not commit to leaving Fury yet.
                            The college coach might have an opinion of where s/he wants her to play.

Comment

Really don't understand all this belly-aching, if GDA is not for you kid, leave...for the love of God stop bitching about it, and go, and take your bench-warmer with you, back to the ECNL bench....

Comment

Really don't understand all this belly-aching, if GDA is not for you kid, leave...for the love of God stop bitching about it, and go, and take your bench-warmer with you, back to the ECNL bench....
                                Do u have a u little? When u get to the teen years it is a huge commitment of time and money. Most want to factor in coaching and location and roster and travel burden, etc. Into the decision of where to go and what to do. There is no hands down obvious choice for many competitive players on LI.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X