Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Willilams is different from Amherst is different from Yale is different form Chicago. If a D1 talent want to attend Williams and can get in, they should attend Williams. Period.
    What an asinine comment. If a kid has the academic chops to get into Williams and the soccer chops to play for a Stanford, Duke, UVA, Georgetown etc they are in a position to save their family hundreds of thousands of dollars. You’d give that up for a few spots on some academic ranking? What planet are you from?

Comment

are we ever getting around to posting who actually signed NLIs?

Comment

What an asinine comment. If a kid has the academic chops to get into Williams and the soccer chops to play for a Stanford, Duke, UVA, Georgetown etc they are in a position to save their family hundreds of thousands of dollars. You’d give that up for a few spots on some academic ranking? What planet are you from?
        What is asanine is choosing soccer over best academic fit.

Comment

Sick of this path getting shoved on our kids. They need to look at academic fit, path to grad school, successful career path all before soccer program. Stop pushing our kids to suit your purposes and not theirs.

Comment

This situation is a myth. As I just wrote in the D3 thread. My kid played with a couple of kids that ended up at Williams. Bright kids for sure but hardly the soccer world beaters that someone is trying to project. Generally they had injury issues and a suspect work ethic because they clearly liked to think of themselves as intellectuals first and soccer players second. By the time the recruiting years came around they were well behind the trajectory one would have projected when they were 12-13 years old. The Williams pedigree is really just an ego saving situation because these kids really didn't end up to be D1 caliber players despite their early promise. Their brains are what got them into Williams and it might be argued that if soccer weren't such a driving force that they probably would have been able to go to Harvard or Yale only not play soccer.
            Not a myth. There are very few true "tips" per year at a top NESCAC for the soccer team. If you want the tip you have to be a very strong soccer player. There are other slots each year for some coaches help, or "protect", but these kids are very close to normal admits.

The kids your daughter played with were probably not the ones getting "tips." With only a few tips each year they expect the "tipped" players to be starters as frosh and potential all conference players.

Comment

are we ever getting around to posting who actually signed NLIs?
              Look it up yourself.

Comment

Sick of this path getting shoved on our kids. They need to look at academic fit, path to grad school, successful career path all before soccer program. Stop pushing our kids to suit your purposes and not theirs.
                By and large that is what most families do - they pick what works best for them. You're responding to TS posters who think they know what is best for players they know nothing about.

Comment

Also, going to a small school in the middle of nowhere won't appeal all students no matter the academics or soccer. Some students want the resources and programs bigger schools can offer, and some want to be closer to cities with things to do and better access to good internships.

Comment

Some chops, for sure, but there's wiggle room within the AI calculation for the highest level prospects, with a basic floor for ACT/SAT (I think for Yale it was minimum 31 ACT, but it was awhile ago). The thing is, the academic ability required to get into an Ivy vs. a Williams/Amherst/Bowdoin/Chicago is not that different. The difference for a soccer player is the talent level. They're not pulling a player into the Ivies if she doesn't appear to have D1 talent.
                    That's true with the caveat that I wouldn't classify all Ivys together in terms of academic ability requirements. The academic ability requirements of HYP are significantly higher than that of Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Penn and Brown. I would also put the latter group in your comparison to Williams/Amherst/Bowdoin/Chicago. There are some exceptions but for the most part this is how it is.

Comment

Agreed. Too many kids quit or transfer after year 2, so need to keep academics and ultimate goal at the forefront.

Comment

Agreed. Too many kids quit or transfer after year 2, so need to keep academics and ultimate goal at the forefront.
                        Geeks do get the last laugh.

Comment

I gave up high school soccer.

I gave up a high school social life.

I worked harder than all the D3 kids.

I got to sign an ACTUAL NLI and received $2,750 per year.

I moved 350 miles away to play soccer.

Then the coach left after my freshman year and the new coach didn't play me.

Now I'm back at home going to school and playing soccer.

It was soooooooo worth it.

Comment

I gave up high school soccer.

I gave up a high school social life.

I worked harder than all the D3 kids.

I got to sign an ACTUAL NLI and received $2,750 per year.

I moved 350 miles away to play soccer.

Then the coach left after my freshman year and the new coach didn't play me.

Now I'm back at home going to school and playing soccer.

It was soooooooo worth it.
                            If true, then it sounds like the school didn't really want you that much. They gave you no money, and you weren't good enough to make an impact on the field. Someone (perhaps Dad, maybe your club coach, maybe you) talked you into reaching for a program that was beyond your ability. It happens. Enjoy the second go-around.

Comment

If true, then it sounds like the school didn't really want you that much. They gave you no money, and you weren't good enough to make an impact on the field. Someone (perhaps Dad, maybe your club coach, maybe you) talked you into reaching for a program that was beyond your ability. It happens. Enjoy the second go-around.
                              And obviously completely ignored the players other abilities and interests. If those had been attended to and the soccer did not work out for any number of reasons, the education could have continued just fine. The soccer match is not the paramount match.

Comment

And obviously completely ignored the players other abilities and interests. If those had been attended to and the soccer did not work out for any number of reasons, the education could have continued just fine. The soccer match is not the paramount match.
                                Men's soccer is the NCAA sport with the highest transfer percentage.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X