Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Reminds me of the nice little team of 4 or 5 years ago. Loaded with MPS kids then. How many GPS players on this team? I think coach is a GPS coach? Down years for boys HS soccer with Bolts players gone from BSL.
    TM is a great coach and coached for GPS for a time. Don’t think he coached any of his HS players for club but the GPS model may carry over. Having played against Wellesley under him and GPS club teams they are very similar in play style. Don’t know what you mean about bolts but it’s worth noting that the three captains of the Brookline team played under their HS coach for club.

Comment

Wellesley graduates 15 seniors, might have some decent juniors and sophomores next year. Depth could be an issue for them.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexFilides View Post
        Wellesley graduates 15 seniors, might have some decent juniors and sophomores next year. Depth could be an issue for them.
        Can we get a rundown on the top schools and their graduation numbers?

Comment

TM is a great coach and coached for GPS for a time. Don’t think he coached any of his HS players for club but the GPS model may carry over. Having played against Wellesley under him and GPS club teams they are very similar in play style. Don’t know what you mean about bolts but it’s worth noting that the three captains of the Brookline team played under their HS coach for club.
          The coach certainly matters, but success of the HS program is probably more of a reflection of the strong youth programs that these towns have. A good youth program can keep the good athletes in town playing soccer instead of other sports, and it helps build a broad base from which to construct a high school team. Its not really a surprise that the Wellesley and Ludlow teams are doing well now: look back at which towns had some of the strongest U12/U14 youth teams three-four-five-six years ago: Wellesley and Ludlow--those teams were always competing at MTOC each year--and I think Ludlow is perennially competitive there. That's another reason that Needham always seems to be in the hunt--they are always competitive at the youth level, which keeps their kids engaged.

Comment

The coach certainly matters, but success of the HS program is probably more of a reflection of the strong youth programs that these towns have. A good youth program can keep the good athletes in town playing soccer instead of other sports, and it helps build a broad base from which to construct a high school team. Its not really a surprise that the Wellesley and Ludlow teams are doing well now: look back at which towns had some of the strongest U12/U14 youth teams three-four-five-six years ago: Wellesley and Ludlow--those teams were always competing at MTOC each year--and I think Ludlow is perennially competitive there. That's another reason that Needham always seems to be in the hunt--they are always competitive at the youth level, which keeps their kids engaged.
            True and I agree with the youth programs being strong and having good numbers. I'm not sure on Wellesley but Ludlow does not have a strong hoops or baseball or lax program so I think they benefit from kids being heavily involved in soccer year round. But I would say the coach certainly matters maybe more - look at Somerville. More talent year in year out than most programs and Scarpelli will still find a way not to win the "big" game and get out coached. He had the stronger Medford team that lost to Ludlow and still can't figure out how they lost to West Springfield a few years back. Having players is one thing but having a coach that can't make any adjustments will doom teams in big games.

Comment

True and I agree with the youth programs being strong and having good numbers. I'm not sure on Wellesley but Ludlow does not have a strong hoops or baseball or lax program so I think they benefit from kids being heavily involved in soccer year round. But I would say the coach certainly matters maybe more - look at Somerville. More talent year in year out than most programs and Scarpelli will still find a way not to win the "big" game and get out coached. He had the stronger Medford team that lost to Ludlow and still can't figure out how they lost to West Springfield a few years back. Having players is one thing but having a coach that can't make any adjustments will doom teams in big games.

Fair point. And DB handled him when Needham beat them when he got the lead and put Steeves in the back and Somerville did nothing all 2nd half. Tactics still wins out.

Comment

Uhhhh.. this didn't happen
                I misspoke. It was the state semis. I believe someone tweeted video as well so you can check that out.

Comment

I misspoke. It was the state semis. I believe someone tweeted video as well so you can check that out.
                  **************Important Note************************

All finals except the ones scheduled for Xaverian (the D2s) have been moved due to the snowstorm. Check the MIAA website for time and place.

My guess is the North Shore didn't get much snow compared to other areas around Boston as they ended up with 3 sets of games. Most of the rescheduled games don't favor anyone in particular.

Comment

Rate this game even. Ludlow is undefeated, so there’s no way they’re an underdog. They’re also better-rested, as they only had to play 3 tourney games so far (apparently miaa is looking at fixing that down the road).
                    Wellesley has already beaten one previously undefeated team, so they have a chance. Wellesley has solid keeper play, they’re well organized, have some diversity in attack.
                    Let’s see which team gets first goal, and whether they can expand a lead when the opponent has to chase the game.

Comment

Need a pat on your back Dad?? Starting the kids early helps but the clubs who practice 3-4 times per week take over in the teens. If you really believe that MTOC is some kind of measure of high school soccer success then you are delusional, especially considering that the majority of towns don’t participate. If you want to temper your contribution to ‘I helped out’ then you might come back toward some sense of realism.

Comment

Rate this game even. Ludlow is undefeated, so there’s no way they’re an underdog. They’re also better-rested, as they only had to play 3 tourney games so far (apparently miaa is looking at fixing that down the road).
                        Wellesley has already beaten one previously undefeated team, so they have a chance. Wellesley has solid keeper play, they’re well organized, have some diversity in attack.
                        Let’s see which team gets first goal, and whether they can expand a lead when the opponent has to chase the game.
                        I agree this should be a good close game. Any predictions for the other divisions?

Comment

I agree this should be a good close game. Any predictions for the other divisions?
                          No, the rest of it is even more odd. The next division is only E.Mass.
                          In the girls championship, favor Natick slightly. Their target forward also happens to be one of the sprinters in the state, and that kind of pace is obviously an advantage. Any one player can be shut down, but think Natick can diagnose how to break down a defense.

Comment

**************Important Note************************

All finals except the ones scheduled for Xaverian (the D2s) have been moved due to the snowstorm. Check the MIAA website for time and place.

My guess is the North Shore didn't get much snow compared to other areas around Boston as they ended up with 3 sets of games. Most of the rescheduled games don't favor anyone in particular.
                            Ludlow's trip went from a 1/2 hour to 2 hours.
                            Wellesley's trip went from 1/2 hour to 1/2 hour.

Comment

You may want to check your math.

Comment

What is weird is that the DII Field Hockey Final and a football semi final are still being played at WPI today. WPI can handle the snow but Worcester State got that much more?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X