Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hopefully the parents at United PDX see the money grab that they are pulling when it comes to futsal. Intead of having parents who want to play pay what it actually costs, they are having them pay a flat 125.00 fee. 125.00 would be enough to cover the fees for a 6 player team, but they say theres 10 players per team, so expect them to try to fill those numbers. On top of that they are asking for "volunteer coaches" so they don't even have to pay coaches to do it (because coaches know this is there time off). This is what gives club soccer a bad name. its this sort of stuff that makes parents from the outside say its all about the money.

Just do some simple math. Futsal for club was only costing 680.00 if you registered through your club. for 10 player team that should only be 68/player. For every player that they have on a 10 player team there club is profiting 57 dollars. If they have 9 players its roughly 76/player and they make 49 dollars. for 8 players on a team its 85/player and they make 40 dollars.

Last I was told they were talking about 500+ futsal players signed up in there club. That means at worst they are pocketing 20k and at best 28,500 (thats only multiplying by 500, they are actually making more than those numbers one way or another.
    Hate to break the 'news' to you the entire operation is simply a money grab. It is, what it is.

Comment

Hate to break the 'news' to you the entire operation is simply a money grab. It is, what it is.
      Coaches don't work for free. I get paid well for what I do. I'm pretty sure that the coaches want to get paid well too. Only an idiot would expect otherwise.

The entire economy is a money grab.

Actually, I want to get paid as much as I can get, I want to be overpaid.

Comment

Uh, seems like the futsal is folded into the $1,795 which is more than United PDX and PCU. Look, there are different ways to do this. The OP was complaining in an attempt to smear one particular club but he/she lacks facts, which is all too common on this board.
        Duh, Rec clubs should be less

Comment

There are four ways to handle futsal and other similar things.

1) Don't--if you want to play futsal, set it up yourself. Club shuts down in winter.
          2) Club will help (providing coaching, registration), but it's optional, only participants pay.
          3) It's a mandatory team activity, and everyone must contribute via team fees; individual teams have greater control over what and when.
          4) It's included in your club fees.

Comment

THUSC did it correctly. Quoted the correct price and then split it up with whoever is up for playing. Coaches rotate to the games.
            THUSC regular dues are $200 more than United; basically your outdoor program subsidizes your futsal program. Not sure you are saving any money when all said and done.

Comment

Duh, Rec clubs should be less
              Exactly

Comment

a 7 player team should cost about 98/player. So still not a great deal.
                You should go bring your son or daughter somewhere else if you are here complaining about $30-$40 for a season.

I am not sure if you are going to be able to handle competitive soccer.

Comment

Coaches don't work for free. I get paid well for what I do. I'm pretty sure that the coaches want to get paid well too. Only an idiot would expect otherwise.

The entire economy is a money grab.

Actually, I want to get paid as much as I can get, I want to be overpaid.

Subbing players is highly valued skill set.. got it.

Comment

Futsal Money Grab

10 players is too many players for a futsal team. I don't know how many kids miss per weekend because of other sports, but futsal games usually work best when there are a maximum of 7 players per team.

It probably is a money grab. But maybe the club won't have to do a fundraising auction because they are making money from all of the futsal registrations.

Hopefully the parents at United PDX see the money grab that they are pulling when it comes to futsal. Intead of having parents who want to play pay what it actually costs, they are having them pay a flat 125.00 fee. 125.00 would be enough to cover the fees for a 6 player team, but they say theres 10 players per team, so expect them to try to fill those numbers. On top of that they are asking for "volunteer coaches" so they don't even have to pay coaches to do it (because coaches know this is there time off). This is what gives club soccer a bad name. its this sort of stuff that makes parents from the outside say its all about the money.

Just do some simple math. Futsal for club was only costing 680.00 if you registered through your club. for 10 player team that should only be 68/player. For every player that they have on a 10 player team there club is profiting 57 dollars. If they have 9 players its roughly 76/player and they make 49 dollars. for 8 players on a team its 85/player and they make 40 dollars.

Last I was told they were talking about 500+ futsal players signed up in there club. That means at worst they are pocketing 20k and at best 28,500 (thats only multiplying by 500, they are actually making more than those numbers one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by glad_to_be_here View Post
                      10 players is too many players for a futsal team. I don't know how many kids miss per weekend because of other sports, but futsal games usually work best when there are a maximum of 7 players per team.

It probably is a money grab. But maybe the club won't have to do a fundraising auction because they are making money from all of the futsal registrations.
                      There is never enough money in the NEU coffers.

Comment

Have seen 3 united teams play futsal this weekend; one had 2 subs, one had 1 sub, and one had no subs. If anything they are running their rosters lighter than other clubs.

OP doesn't know what she is talking about.

Comment

Forgetting the original posters comments. Can someone explain to me why Oysa is making the teams get a player card through them for futsal? why not just use the cards they already have? doesn't make a lot of sense.

In previous years as long as you had a player card (5 bucks at the arena) you could play on any team. So why make the parents/clubs get a seperate card? what do they charge for the clubs to get different cards?

Comment

Forgetting the original posters comments. Can someone explain to me why Oysa is making the teams get a player card through them for futsal? why not just use the cards they already have? doesn't make a lot of sense.

In previous years as long as you had a player card (5 bucks at the arena) you could play on any team. So why make the parents/clubs get a seperate card? what do they charge for the clubs to get different cards?
                            If you want to play futsal, there are several options:

1) OYSA futsal league. Any OYSA club can register a team, which doesn't have to be the same as an outdoor team (in fact, outdoor teams are too large). OYSA charges a fee for this. Fee to OYSA pays all expenses--referees, player cards, court rental. Just show up at the arena (RCF or wherever) and play; no need to get a card at RCF or whatever gym may host the games.

2) Some futsal gyms run their own leagues, and clubs are free to join those. In these, teams may need to pay ref fees at the time of the match, and/or players will need to get a player card in the gym that hosts the league.

3) Teams can rent courts for practice time, both at futsal gyms, at school gyms, or at public gyms like the Y.

4) Plenty of open court time at various places (including RCF and the Y) for pickup games.

Comment

I don't know, but it is a great idea to have an OYSA futsal league. I wish they had that when my kids were younger.

Are you really complaining over a few bucks?

Comment

Forgetting the original posters comments. Can someone explain to me why Oysa is making the teams get a player card through them for futsal? why not just use the cards they already have? doesn't make a lot of sense. In previous years as long as you had a player card (5 bucks at the arena) you could play on any team. So why make the parents/clubs get a seperate card? what do they charge for the clubs to get different cards?
                                Want the truth? These gyms and their staffs are just plain lazy/incompetent but in their defense they are quite cunning. They were able to convince a desperate cash starved youth state non-profit (OYSA) to become their labor force, for pennies on the dollar. What is OYSA doing? All of the match scheduling, the hiring and training of 16 year old futsal referee's + produce the all important OYSA futsal card. It's simply an incredible deal crafted by the gymnasiums. Let me make this as clear as possible, OYSA is not making a dime on their 'fiend rental' of basketball courts from the 4 gyms. After oysa expenses, they will be in the red on the deal and the Gyms will be cashing checks for months. Not to mention the (middle men) clubs who also profit on the deal due to parent apathy & ignorance. This is what happens when private business takes advantage of clueless state youth org. non-profit. Can anyone say the OYSA and a 'contract'....heard that before... Timbers contract anyone? History has a way of repeating itself.. . Now Parents can enjoy driving the 50 mile congested freeway loop each weekend just to play futsal in a random gym this winter.

Long live private and public partnerships!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X