More Fodder for the Single/Multi-Sport Discussion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's more that 98% will never even play in college, let along professionally or on the national team. Those are the players who shouldn't succumb to the pressure of focusing on only one sport if they don't want to. Do what makes you happy. Too many kids are being pressured at younger ages to focus on one sport. Before it wasn't until high school. Now it's 6th grade. Parents need to help guide their kids through it all while being realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I think it's more that 98% will never even play in college, let along professionally or on the national team. Those are the players who shouldn't succumb to the pressure of focusing on only one sport if they don't want to. Do what makes you happy. Too many kids are being pressured at younger ages to focus on one sport. Before it wasn't until high school. Now it's 6th grade. Parents need to help guide their kids through it all while being realistic.
      Why is there pressure to only play one sport? What if you have a kid who wants to only play that sport? They would like to play it in college.

Do you have stats that back up how many get pressured to play on vs. pressured to play many?

Comment

Why is there pressure to only play one sport? What if you have a kid who wants to only play that sport? They would like to play it in college.

Do you have stats that back up how many get pressured to play on vs. pressured to play many?
        I think methodologically that would be hard data to collect.

US Soccer has come down on focusing (at least by high school) on just total soccer immersion for "elite players." Well, how is that working out? How are our younger U-XX teams doing at the national level?

yeah, thought so.

Look at the injury rates for multi-sport versus single sport (team) athletes. I think what's lost is not *every* other sport is equal in terms of complementary to the physical, intellectual, emotional, and technical development needed for soccer.

If you want your child to play at a high-level, then the best thing you can do is help them find sports that best suits their abilities (physical, cognitive, emotional), and then assist them to create an environment that gives the best chance to find their unique pathway(s).

Comment

I think methodologically that would be hard data to collect.

US Soccer has come down on focusing (at least by high school) on just total soccer immersion for "elite players." Well, how is that working out? How are our younger U-XX teams doing at the national level?

yeah, thought so.

Look at the injury rates for multi-sport versus single sport (team) athletes. I think what's lost is not *every* other sport is equal in terms of complementary to the physical, intellectual, emotional, and technical development needed for soccer.

If you want your child to play at a high-level, then the best thing you can do is help them find sports that best suits their abilities (physical, cognitive, emotional), and then assist them to create an environment that gives the best chance to find their unique pathway(s).
          Ummmmmm....

First, GDA has been in place for a year, so any failings on any U-xx wouldn't fall on that. They haven't even been in the program long enough so the failings, if any, fall on the previous plan.

Second, USGDA does not discourage other sports play. Quite the opposite. What they do restrict is other soccer (so HS fits there). The concern is overuse. If you can play another sport, and not miss time for soccer and if it doesn't affect your soccer performance, they have no concerns.

Comment

Ummmmmm....

First, GDA has been in place for a year, so any failings on any U-xx wouldn't fall on that. They haven't even been in the program long enough so the failings, if any, fall on the previous plan.

Second, USGDA does not discourage other sports play. Quite the opposite. What they do restrict is other soccer (so HS fits there). The concern is overuse. If you can play another sport, and not miss time for soccer and if it doesn't affect your soccer performance, they have no concerns.
            Not the poster but BDA has ben around for ten years. The results are very underwhelming. Also, the pressure on players to specialize early isn't present just in DA but any high level program. Even from a time standpoint it's difficult to play multiple sports. What used to be "seasonal sports" now has ten month soccer, baseball, hockey etc. Many kids have to pick a sport due to time and cost restraints, not because they don't want to continue.

Comment

If they do, that's great. But many kids would still like to play other sports but simply can't - there isn't enough time in the week or money in the bank. Soccer isn't the only sport now running nearly all year and having costly travel leagues that "force" players to chose.

Comment

Not the poster but BDA has ben around for ten years. The results are very underwhelming. Also, the pressure on players to specialize early isn't present just in DA but any high level program. Even from a time standpoint it's difficult to play multiple sports. What used to be "seasonal sports" now has ten month soccer, baseball, hockey etc. Many kids have to pick a sport due to time and cost restraints, not because they don't want to continue.
                My mistake, I referred to the GDA only. Yes, BDA is more established and results are iffy.

As to your second point, yes, all sports demand more at high levels. I could play 3 in HS, 2 in college, simply because there was little crossover. Now, other than using the other 2 as playtime, I honestly don't know how one could do it. There just isn't enough time unless you are not fully committing to it - which is a slight to your teammates who do commit.

I will say though that, at least with our club, there is no pressure to not play other sports. What they do request (demand) is you make soccer priority #1 and all activity is secondary. Play hoops if you want, but don't miss soccer and don't show up tired after bball practice. If you can work it out, by all means go for it. I think that's fair, honestly.

Comment

If they do, that's great. But many kids would still like to play other sports but simply can't - there isn't enough time in the week or money in the bank. Soccer isn't the only sport now running nearly all year and having costly travel leagues that "force" players to chose.
                  Untrue. You can play as many sports as you want. You just have to choose the level of play/club that will allow it.

Comment

The benefits/end result of choosing a path wasn't part of the discussion. "Oy, what I would've done if I could do it all over again" discussion has far-reaching implications and could go on all day.

The question was related to how to best succeed in soccer: via multi-sport or soccer-only.

I don't understand your last question/point: how is any of this at the expense of your kid? Play, don't play, as many sports as you want. Live with, or enjoy, the consequences of doing just that. All up to you, otherwise, I don't see how it's at our expense?
                    I specifically referencing the “system” when I said “not the expense of my kid”. I’m thankful the US doesn’t have the churn and burn soccer system the rest of the world has. I am happy we as a system channels to college more than the pros. If it were to change to mirror those European models, it would be at the expense of most of our children. Right now it’s just at the expense of our disrectary spending, and although far from perfect, I’m glad the US doesn’t do it like Europe.

As for my kid, she will continue play at high club level, but also play other sports, and get recruited to play in college. Others can chase the NT team dream, but we are getting out of it exactly what we want (albeit with more travel than I’d like, but that’s another discussion)

Comment

I specifically referencing the “system” when I said “not the expense of my kid”. I’m thankful the US doesn’t have the churn and burn soccer system the rest of the world has. I am happy we as a system channels to college more than the pros. If it were to change to mirror those European models, it would be at the expense of most of our children. Right now it’s just at the expense of our disrectary spending, and although far from perfect, I’m glad the US doesn’t do it like Europe.

As for my kid, she will continue play at high club level, but also play other sports, and get recruited to play in college. Others can chase the NT team dream, but we are getting out of it exactly what we want (albeit with more travel than I’d like, but that’s another discussion)
                      I'm still not understanding this "system". You do realize these are all voluntary, right? Play for a club that requires you, or at least makes it difficult not to, dedicate all your time to that sport. Or, don't. Totally up to you.

There is no "system" in place that governs it all. Play, don't play, nobody is going to stop you either way.

Comment

I'm still not understanding this "system". You do realize these are all voluntary, right? Play for a club that requires you, or at least makes it difficult not to, dedicate all your time to that sport. Or, don't. Totally up to you.

There is no "system" in place that governs it all. Play, don't play, nobody is going to stop you either way.
                        OK, you clearly are misunderstanding me. I am talking about the “churn and burn” academy system in Europe, NOT the pay-to-play system here.

Comment

OK, you clearly are misunderstanding me. I am talking about the “churn and burn” academy system in Europe, NOT the pay-to-play system here.
                          I guess I would need to you define what the "churn and burn" academy system is, and how it differs from possibilities here.

Comment

I guess I would need to you define what the "churn and burn" academy system is, and how it differs from possibilities here.
                            Here we have pay to play (except for a few boys that play for funded academies). The entire system here is funded from the bottom up by the families of the players.

Churn ad burn is funded top down. Families do not have to pay much to play but their players are in effect, , bought and sold by the clubs later if they are good, and that money funds the system. This system will find and develop soccer talent as there is money to be made, but the cost is high to the players in a different way.

Comment

Here we have pay to play (except for a few boys that play for funded academies). The entire system here is funded from the bottom up by the families of the players.

Churn ad burn is funded top down. Families do not have to pay much to play but their players are in effect, , bought and sold by the clubs later if they are good, and that money funds the system. This system will find and develop soccer talent as there is money to be made, but the cost is high to the players in a different way.
                              OK, so I understand your point.

But, what I still don't understand is what that means for kids here in US and their development by sticking with one sport or multi.

Comment

OK, so I understand your point.

But, what I still don't understand is what that means for kids here in US and their development by sticking with one sport or multi.
                                I dont think kids in the US develop fundamentally differently from kids anywhere else. System in which they play are very very different.

Our system is not churning out pro soccer players - churn and burn is designed to do that at the expense of 99 percent of the kids. There is money to be made in that system only if you can find and develop pro worthy players. Quality over quantity and all soccer all the time.

Here there is money to be made by finding lots of players from families with money to spend on their soccer lessons. Quantity over quality and a kid can play other sports.

I dont know if one is better or worse. Depends on the goal. Put our kids there and their kids here and nothing would change. Our pro worthy kids wold be found and developed. Their non pro worthy kids would continue to play as long as their families could pay.

Pick your poison.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X