Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sticking to the facts....kids that can't make a DA team are....well....just "less than" the superior "DA" kids.

This applies to their soccer skills but also on an overall level. DA kids are just better in all things.

Genetics plays a huge role here....as the lesser non-DA kids very typically come from parents that that are also very average.

It is just how things work. Hope this helps.
    or in this guys case below average. I'm thinking inbreeding.

Comment

So if DA is worthless or good for absolutely nothing, how can we change it? What is a better method of development?

I will say not all DA is what it's hyped up to be but a very very small percentage of players will benefit from DA. Sadly the over all majority will not and they'll look back later in life wondering why they didn't just play with their friends.

Comment

So if DA is worthless or good for absolutely nothing, how can we change it? What is a better method of development?

I will say not all DA is what it's hyped up to be but a very very small percentage of players will benefit from DA. Sadly the over all majority will not and they'll look back later in life wondering why they didn't just play with their friends.
        US Soccer needs to give GDA to clubs who actually do meet the requirements otherwise it's not taken seriously. Make the GDAs different and stand firm about no high school or there will be no consistency or respect for it.

Comment

Sticking to the facts....kids that can't make a DA team are....well....just "less than" the superior "DA" kids.

This applies to their soccer skills but also on an overall level. DA kids are just better in all things.

Genetics plays a huge role here....as the lesser non-DA kids very typically come from parents that that are also very average.

It is just how things work. Hope this helps.
          What about if there is not a DA in your area?

Comment

My son will be going into his 4th and final year in the DA. It has been a good experience for him. He's compete give and enjoys the grind also wants to play in college. I am the first to tell you that not all DA's are good, the DA does not have all the greatest players, and most college coaches don't even know what the hell the DA is.

DA competition is not always great. There are more bad clubs and iffy players than there are superstars. A lot of games are blow outs. Like everything else there is still politics and even with an MLS club the coaches sometimes are not that great.

As far as colleges, the larger bigger, well known ranked programs will recruit from it and there are a few colleges that have a large number of DA players but for the most part many many many coaches have no idea what the DA is.

I am not saying that you should not pursue it if you have a chance, I am not saying it isn't worth it if you are a part of it. All I am saying is that depending on your goals it IS NOT the only avenue and it's not always that great.

Comment

My son will be going into his 4th and final year in the DA. It has been a good experience for him. He's compete give and enjoys the grind also wants to play in college. I am the first to tell you that not all DA's are good, the DA does not have all the greatest players, and most college coaches don't even know what the hell the DA is.

DA competition is not always great. There are more bad clubs and iffy players than there are superstars. A lot of games are blow outs. Like everything else there is still politics and even with an MLS club the coaches sometimes are not that great.

As far as colleges, the larger bigger, well known ranked programs will recruit from it and there are a few colleges that have a large number of DA players but for the most part many many many coaches have no idea what the DA is.

I am not saying that you should not pursue it if you have a chance, I am not saying it isn't worth it if you are a part of it. All I am saying is that depending on your goals it IS NOT the only avenue and it's not always that great.
              C'mon man! sorry, but most, and I mean 99% of college men's soccer coaches know what the DA is. yes they run their little ID camps, and they hit the showcases, but they know where the best place is

Comment

Some DA players warm the benches

And what about those players that get selected for the DA and then sits on the bench, playing probably 10 games out of 30+ and never starts? How do they develop? I thought it is a "Development" Academy?

Comment

And what about those players that get selected for the DA and then sits on the bench, playing probably 10 games out of 30+ and never starts? How do they develop? I thought it is a "Development" Academy?
                  This is a valid point. As far as OC's DA is the "Home Grown Player" rule more advantageous for the player or the MLS team? Can somebody with DA experience provide any insight on both counts ?Thanks.

Comment

Huge issue. Some clubs abuse the start rule as well by simply yanking the player after a few minutes of play. They can only roster 18 fro game day and most carry 22+. Then there's the "pre academy " scam some clubs pull. If you're not in the top 10 on your DA squad then I'd strongly recommend exploring other options. For some it could be the only one. But it's a lot to give up for sitting all season. In many cases you're paying for that sacrifice as well. If boys ecnl gains traction non MLS squads, especially weaker ones, could be in trouble

Comment

C'mon man! sorry, but most, and I mean 99% of college men's soccer coaches know what the DA is. yes they run their little ID camps, and they hit the showcases, but they know where the best place is
                      That part didn't fly with me as well but the rest of it was pretty accurate. DA has politics, not all the players, coaches and teams are top quality. For some players it works out great. For others thry might be better served trying to find a high quality non DA option and enjoy playing for their schools

Comment

There are a lot of colleges out there and a lot of coaches. There are more schools needing players at every level then there are DA players to fill those spots assuming that every DA player wants to play in college or gets an opportunity to play in college which is not the case. Of course college coaches know the "DA" in theory but many of them have no real knowledge of it or how it works. Also understand that DA is not available all over the country.

Some of the bigger and highly ranked programs do go to the showcases but for the most part many more don't even bother with it. Believe me when I tell you that we have talked to many coaches who read my kids "bio" and have asked him "what is this DA thing".

College recruiting is a whole different animal. Many, many of those coaches are not as aware of the youth soccer scene as you and I are. They also are bombarded and don't have that much time. They are not checking out gotsoccer rankings or even Top Drawer. Also most coaches are not wasting their time traveling to California or the west coast to bring a player to Florida. You also don't see very many southeast kids end up in northeast schools and vice versa.

Once you get to that time that you are talking to colleges you will understand and actually surprised.

Comment

I really don't know why they call it Development Academy because every year they get rid of some players they are supposed to develop and bring in fresh new "currently hot" players only to have them not develop any further once they are in the DA and get tossed out for the newest toy. Every year same thing. That is not what a Development Academy is meant to be. Not overseas for sure. I have seen players who started out really good, sits on the bench, go in and play for like 15 mins of the entire game, don't play most games, quit eventually cause they know they are on the chopping block. If you invite a good player to the DA, the job of the coach is to further develop on the skills that attracted him to this player in the first place. That's Development Academy!!! They need to change the name.

Comment

I really don't know why they call it Development Academy because every year they get rid of some players they are supposed to develop and bring in fresh new "currently hot" players only to have them not develop any further once they are in the DA and get tossed out for the newest toy. Every year same thing. That is not what a Development Academy is meant to be. Not overseas for sure. I have seen players who started out really good, sits on the bench, go in and play for like 15 mins of the entire game, don't play most games, quit eventually cause they know they are on the chopping block. If you invite a good player to the DA, the job of the coach is to further develop on the skills that attracted him to this player in the first place. That's Development Academy!!! They need to change the name.
                            Because in the end its still a business filled with coaches and club owners with big egos. You need a winning record to attract th e new hot talent. It also attracts players to your other club teams hoping to make onto da some day. Mls clubs don't have the same financial motivation but they still have coaches who can't coach (licensure doesn't always mean good coaching) and their inflated egos.

My hope is that girls and their parents see da for what it is - good for a handful, very questionable for most. Girls will have an attractive 2nd option in ecnl and soon boys will as well

Comment

There are a lot of colleges out there and a lot of coaches. There are more schools needing players at every level then there are DA players to fill those spots assuming that every DA player wants to play in college or gets an opportunity to play in college which is not the case. Of course college coaches know the "DA" in theory but many of them have no real knowledge of it or how it works. Also understand that DA is not available all over the country.

Some of the bigger and highly ranked programs do go to the showcases but for the most part many more don't even bother with it. Believe me when I tell you that we have talked to many coaches who read my kids "bio" and have asked him "what is this DA thing".

College recruiting is a whole different animal. Many, many of those coaches are not as aware of the youth soccer scene as you and I are. They also are bombarded and don't have that much time. They are not checking out gotsoccer rankings or even Top Drawer. Also most coaches are not wasting their time traveling to California or the west coast to bring a player to Florida. You also don't see very many southeast kids end up in northeast schools and vice versa.

Once you get to that time that you are talking to colleges you will understand and actually surprised.
                              College Coach, Priority One: recruit foreign players.
                              College Coach, Priority Two (maybe): attend a few DA games.

Comment

College Coach, Priority One: recruit foreign players.
                                College Coach, Priority Two (maybe): attend a few DA games.
                                Correction: College Coach, Priority One: win

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X