New FYSA Heading Guidelines

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These assclowns still don't get that on September 1st most U12 (2005) teams will have players that are not 11 yet. If the declaration must be made at the beginning of the 2016 season and kept throughout, it seems to me that all U12 teams will be nonheading regardless of whether or not they have 2006 players on them or not.

In conjunction with US Soccer and US Youth Soccer, Florida Youth Soccer Association will be instituting a heading ban for players age 10 and younger. In accordance with the recent U.S. Soccer recommendations on concussion risk management.

FYSA has eliminated heading in matches for player’s age 10-years-old and younger (2006-11u and younger), per the new calendar year registration guidelines.

League, tournaments, and other FYSA sanctioned events that include 2006-11u and younger age group teams heading will not be permitted.

Leagues and tournaments shall allow for 2005-12u heading age divisions. Leagues and tournaments will be permitted to form 2005/2006-12u non-heading divisions. (see playing up guidelines)

Teams that opt for 2005-2006-12u non-heading divisions shall only participate in non-heading divisions and tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      fysa is expected to come out with further clarification as to how the rule will affect the 10 year olds who turn 11 from september to december 31st ... supposedly leagues and tourneys will have two divisions for u12 ... one that is heading (for teams that have all 11 year old + players) and a non heading division as well. Seems to me that statistically all teams will have to enter the non heading division for the fall and will then be able to enter heading tourneys in winter and spring and spring leagures... seems like a lot of confusion and dilution of the concentration of teams
      That would be an extraordinarily stupid way to try to solve the problem.

Comment

I have read the guidelines 20 times and it appears to be pretty clear to me. It does not matter when the 2005 is born, if they are a 2005 they will be able to head. Once a 2006 reaches their 11th birthday they will be able to play up but not before. Yes, there will be 2005's that are not 11 for half of the season but the statement only says one thing about this and that is that U12's(2005) will be able to head and U11's(2006 and below) will not. The 2006's get the worst of this because none of them can play up. My daughter plays for a big club and this was a surprise to everyone. We are reworking our roster because we had two 2006's on our 2005 team.

Comment

Fysa is very clear no 10 year olds can head the ball, even if born in 05. Unless all your 2005's are 11 by September 1st, your 2006's don't matter. I question how big your club is if they don't understand this

Comment

It is the largest club in this part of Florida and you are wrong.

It says 10 year olds per registration guidelines or (2006- U11). Per registration guidelines a 10 year old born in 2005 is an U12. Our club has been in contact with FYSA and our interpretation has been verified. 2005s u12 can head.

Comment

I have read the guidelines 20 times and it appears to be pretty clear to me. It does not matter when the 2005 is born, if they are a 2005 they will be able to head. Once a 2006 reaches their 11th birthday they will be able to play up but not before. Yes, there will be 2005's that are not 11 for half of the season but the statement only says one thing about this and that is that U12's(2005) will be able to head and U11's(2006 and below) will not. The 2006's get the worst of this because none of them can play up. My daughter plays for a big club and this was a surprise to everyone. We are reworking our roster because we had two 2006's on our 2005 team.
              It is not clear. "FYSA has eliminated heading in matches for player’s age 10-years-old and younger (11u-2006 and younger), per the new calendar year registration guidelines. Heading will not be permitted in 11u and younger age groups."

That statement contradicts itself. It says they have eliminated heading for players age 10 and under, but then says that heading will not be permitted in 11u and younger age groups. There are 10 year olds in U12 (or 12u or whatever they want to call it now.)

You also have to look at the reason the no heading rule is being implemented. This is what was being reported last November: "The new guidelines, which resolve a proposed class-action lawsuit filed against U.S. Soccer and others last year, will prohibit players age 10 and younger from heading the ball and will reduce headers in practice for those from age 11 to 13." Does allowing the 10 year olds who are U12 to head the ball violate the settlement?

US Soccer's implementation guidelines don't clarify the rule either:
              "•Players in U-11 programs and younger shall not engage in heading, either in practices or in games.
              •Limited heading in practice for players in U-12 and U-13 programs. More specifically, these players shall be limited to a maximum of 30 minutes of heading training per week, with no more than 15-20 headers per player, per week.
              •Clubs should be aware of circumstances in which individual consideration is needed. For example:
              ◦A 10 year old playing at U-12 or older should not head the ball at all.
              ◦An 11 or 12 year old playing at U-14 or older should abide by the heading restrictions in practice.

•Referees should enforce these restrictions by age group according to the specified rules. Referees will not be assessing the age of individual players on the field; they will enforce the rules for the age group."

They say players U-11 and under can't head in practices or in games. That seems clear. They also say a 10 year old playing at U-12 or older should not head the ball at all. Then they say that referees should enforce the restrictions by age group, and not by assessing the age of individual players on the field. The age group rule says U-11 can't head the ball, and the assumption is that U-12 can. But if the referee enforces the rule by age group and allows anyone playing U-12 to head the ball, that would mean that some 10 year olds are heading the ball and they have said that shouldn't happen.

The FYSA website also says: "Leagues and tournaments shall allow for 2005-12u heading age divisions. Leagues and tournaments will be permitted to form 2005/2006-12u non-heading divisions." I don't recall seeing that last week. Are they really going to try to separate U12 into heading and non-heading divisions? That is stupid.

Comment

It is the largest club in this part of Florida and you are wrong.

It says 10 year olds per registration guidelines or (2006- U11). Per registration guidelines a 10 year old born in 2005 is an U12. Our club has been in contact with FYSA and our interpretation has been verified. 2005s u12 can head.
                If that is the case, then they should remove references to 10 year olds from the rule. Just make the rule say that U11 can't head the ball, and U12 can. We do ages by birthdates in this country, not by US Soccer's registration guidelines.

And if that is the case, there would be no reason for FYSA to say "Leagues and tournaments shall allow for 2005-12u heading age divisions." If anyone playing U12 can head, then there is no reason for heading age divisions.

Comment

It is not clear. "FYSA has eliminated heading in matches for player’s age 10-years-old and younger (11u-2006 and younger), per the new calendar year registration guidelines. Heading will not be permitted in 11u and younger age groups."

That statement contradicts itself. It says they have eliminated heading for players age 10 and under, but then says that heading will not be permitted in 11u and younger age groups. There are 10 year olds in U12 (or 12u or whatever they want to call it now.)

You also have to look at the reason the no heading rule is being implemented. This is what was being reported last November: "The new guidelines, which resolve a proposed class-action lawsuit filed against U.S. Soccer and others last year, will prohibit players age 10 and younger from heading the ball and will reduce headers in practice for those from age 11 to 13." Does allowing the 10 year olds who are U12 to head the ball violate the settlement?

"•Players in U-11 programs and younger shall not engage in heading, either in practices or in games.
                  •Limited heading in practice for players in U-12 and U-13 programs. More specifically, these players shall be limited to a maximum of 30 minutes of heading training per week, with no more than 15-20 headers per player, per week.
                  •Clubs should be aware of circumstances in which individual consideration is needed. For example:
                  ◦An 11 or 12 year old playing at U-14 or older should abide by the heading restrictions in practice.

•Referees should enforce these restrictions by age group according to the specified rules. Referees will not be assessing the age of individual players on the field; they will enforce the rules for the age group."

They say players U-11 and under can't head in practices or in games. That seems clear. They also say a 10 year old playing at U-12 or older should not head the ball at all. Then they say that referees should enforce the restrictions by age group, and not by assessing the age of individual players on the field. The age group rule says U-11 can't head the ball, and the assumption is that U-12 can. But if the referee enforces the rule by age group and allows anyone playing U-12 to head the ball, that would mean that some 10 year olds are heading the ball and they have said that shouldn't happen.

The FYSA website also says: "Leagues and tournaments shall allow for 2005-12u heading age divisions. Leagues and tournaments will be permitted to form 2005/2006-12u non-heading divisions." I don't recall seeing that last week. Are they really going to try to separate U12 into heading and non-heading divisions? That is stupid.
                  Mu understanding from one of my kids who refs is that kids fall under the age ceiling but who are playing up on older teams are not allowed to head. But keeping track of that is a totally different matter. In reality it isn't that many kids.

Comment

There will only a handful of teams that will be able to head the ball at U12 on the girls side as the team must have all 11 year olds before season starts. I think Rush might fall into that category but the team is weak.

Comment

There will actually be 10 year olds playing U13 when the season starts - as some late 2005 kids are playing with their teams from last season in the 2004 age group.

Comment

There will actually be 10 year olds playing U13 when the season starts - as some late 2005 kids are playing with their teams from last season in the 2004 age group.
                        As I read the FYSA rules, until they have turned 11, no player can play for a team in a league that allows heading in that team's age group. Am I correct or have I missed something that allows a 10 year old to play in a game where heading is allowed?

Comment

Any other country follow these guidelines?

Comment

As I read the FYSA rules, until they have turned 11, no player can play for a team in a league that allows heading in that team's age group. Am I correct or have I missed something that allows a 10 year old to play in a game where heading is allowed?
                            I talked to the people at FYSA and they are adamant that the critical point is you must be 11 to head the ball ... does not matter what year you are born in or what U team you are on ... you must be 11 or the entire team must play in a non heading league

Comment

I know we all like to blame FYSA aka US Soccer but these rules are the result of legal case brought against US youth soccer by a group of 5 parents whose children suffered injuries which in the courts opinion were as a direct result of heading a soccer ball .

Comment

I know we all like to blame FYSA aka US Soccer but these rules are the result of legal case brought against US youth soccer by a group of 5 parents whose children suffered injuries which in the courts opinion were as a direct result of heading a soccer ball .
                                I don't blame US Soccer or FYSA for making the rule. I blame them for their horrible communication.

But that is what we have come to expect from them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X