Talking-Soccer.com

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 4 > Washington

Notices

Washington Discussions about Washington soccer.

Old 03-14-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sorry for your experience, but you walked right into it.
I remember during the informational meetings and KC
told us directly that DA is for the .01%. The girls
who can make the YNT and ultimately the NT.
We are not about college, but you can go play in
college if you wish. That is the mission statement.
Parents forget the details and fine print when
things don't happen the way they want it.
DA is about the stars, not the team.

So, almost all you are the 99.99% of players,
including mine. That's ok b/c college and hopefully
playing in college are the the goals for most of our
kids. Go where your kid is wanted and valued. Simple.
That doesn’t sound like KC at all, although it does sound like how US Soccer views DA (and could well be its downfall over the next couple years). It also sounds like something the former technical director, TK, may have said, although she too took a genuine interest in all the players, and was always willing to give college advice or reach out to a coach. That part of the program wasn’t great early on, but it has improved over time. With the exception of a couple kids who had poorly timed term injuries everyone on the oldest team has landed in a good place to play in college, and KC and the coaches have been helpful throughout the process. Several 02/03 kids are committed too, and others who aren’t getting looks for the gnt teams are getting a lot of interest from colleges. My kid isn’t in the .01%, but she has been happy with the program and recommend it to others. That said, both the Reign and GDA face some very real challenges going forward, and while I’m pretty confident they’ll be fine next year I wouldn’t give them better than even odds beyond that, but more because of GDA’s inflexibility and lack of business sense than anything on the part of the Reign.
Old 03-15-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
That doesn’t sound like KC at all, although it does sound like how US Soccer views DA (and could well be its downfall over the next couple years). It also sounds like something the former technical director, TK, may have said, although she too took a genuine interest in all the players, and was always willing to give college advice or reach out to a coach. That part of the program wasn’t great early on, but it has improved over time. With the exception of a couple kids who had poorly timed term injuries everyone on the oldest team has landed in a good place to play in college, and KC and the coaches have been helpful throughout the process. Several 02/03 kids are committed too, and others who aren’t getting looks for the gnt teams are getting a lot of interest from colleges. My kid isn’t in the .01%, but she has been happy with the program and recommend it to others. That said, both the Reign and GDA face some very real challenges going forward, and while I’m pretty confident they’ll be fine next year I wouldn’t give them better than even odds beyond that, but more because of GDA’s inflexibility and lack of business sense than anything on the part of the Reign.
KC only cares about her job and winning games.
Old 03-15-2019
Unregistered

Default history of Reign

Quote:
We were there in the days of TK and maybe she said that, but I never heard it. I mean, DA is what it is, in relationship to the National Team, so some of that is just facts. I will second the comment that TK cared about all the players, and took time to encourage and motivate everyone. After TK left, my kid felt like she had no one at Reign who cared about or believed in her (this is the main organization, not the pro player/coaches. those were always positive interactions, but the pro Reign players had no control over team cultures, or organizational culture really)
Old 03-15-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
We were there in the days of TK and maybe she said that, but I never heard it. I mean, DA is what it is, in relationship to the National Team, so some of that is just facts. I will second the comment that TK cared about all the players, and took time to encourage and motivate everyone. After TK left, my kid felt like she had no one at Reign who cared about or believed in her (this is the main organization, not the pro player/coaches. those were always positive interactions, but the pro Reign players had no control over team cultures, or organizational culture really)
Mudslinging/sour grapes from disgruntled parents who have since left Reign?...

No club works for everybody and that is why some stay and some leave. These same issues described in posts are echoed by some at every club in the area..

Happy for the author that they found a better option for their player.
Sad for the author that they still feel like they have an axe to grind.

Anonymous personal attacks on coaches (abbreviations are obvious in this case) say more about the author of the post then the person being attacked.

For those that want to play high school soccer, 5 clubs in the area now provide an “elite” club experience for the players to participate in for other 8 months of the year.

For those interested in a unique year round training academy as has been described in prior posts, give Reign a try. While Reign is not for everybody , it is truly extraordinary that in two years, a half dozen girls in this system have had national team camp opportunities. It is not a coincidence. No other clubs in the area have seen this type of conversion. Now that Reign is independent, there is dire need for other clubs to try to end it and maintain market share. What is wrong with choice? Join or not? No need for bashing ...
Old 03-15-2019
Unregistered

Quote:

No club works for everybody and that is why some stay and some leave. These same issues described in posts are echoed by some at every club in the area..

Anonymous personal attacks on coaches (abbreviations are obvious in this case) say more about the author of the post then the person being attacked.

For those that want to play high school soccer, 5 clubs in the area now provide an “elite” club experience for the players to participate in for other 8 months of the year.

For those interested in a unique year round training academy as has been described in prior posts, give Reign a try. While Reign is not for everybody , it is truly extraordinary that in two years, a half dozen girls in this system have had national team camp opportunities. It is not a coincidence. No other clubs in the area have seen this type of conversion. Now that Reign is independent, there is dire need for other clubs to try to end it and maintain market share. What is wrong with choice? Join or not? No need for bashing ...
In 2 years, the Reign were able to develop a half dozen girls to the national team level. They must have some truly amazing coaches.
Old 03-15-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
In 2 years, the Reign were able to develop a half dozen girls to the national team level. They must have some truly amazing coaches.
This is what Americans truly do not get . The coaches are very minimal in the development of a player . You can not turn water into wine ! The player either has the talent or does not . Then it’s all about environment and getting given the chance . I see most of these premier clubs as churning out little robots where everyone can do the basics but none are truly exceptional .
Old 03-15-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
This is what Americans truly do not get . The coaches are very minimal in the development of a player . You can not turn water into wine ! The player either has the talent or does not . Then it’s all about environment and getting given the chance . I see most of these premier clubs as churning out little robots where everyone can do the basics but none are truly exceptional .
Which league is US Soccer promoting? Maybe GDA?

What professional league is sponsored by US Soccer? Maybe NWSL?

Where does Tracey Kevins coach now? How about the U15 national team.

Is it really environment or a little politics??
Old 03-15-2019
Unregistered

Quote:

What choice? Is there going to be some announcement
that Reign DA found a new sponsor and funding?
Better hurry up because tryouts are coming soon.
Old 03-15-2019
Unregistered

Quote:

Yes, it's great that Reign players are getting national team call ins. That's something to be proud of. But we all know that bulk of kids in the DA system will never get that national camp call up. So my question remains: what is the organization's responsibility to those other players who are paying the same amount in team fees? Is there a commitment to maximizing every player's development, or are the rest of the kids' there just to give the stars of the moment someone to train with? Yes, this is a problem at every club...but DA pulls in the top talent with a promise of development and a lot of talent gets lost. This is an issue for Reign, and the entire DA system.
Old 03-16-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes, it's great that Reign players are getting national team call ins. That's something to be proud of. But we all know that bulk of kids in the DA system will never get that national camp call up. So my question remains: what is the organization's responsibility to those other players who are paying the same amount in team fees? Is there a commitment to maximizing every player's development, or are the rest of the kids' there just to give the stars of the moment someone to train with? Yes, this is a problem at every club...but DA pulls in the top talent with a promise of development and a lot of talent gets lost. This is an issue for Reign, and the entire DA system.
Thank you for this post as it accurately describes the nature of competitive athletics - not everyone gets a trophy.
There are now 5 ECNL clubs in the area that are an option for girls. Each club with 18 “elite” players per age group (that makes 90 “elite” players per age group in this league!) that can each wear a patch on their sleeves calling themselves “elite”. With this option, we will have the opportunity to watch all 90 of these girls “develop” equally. Everyone wins?