Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real question regarding GDA

my daughter is being recruited by WFF GDA, she currently plays at a local travel team. She has been at a couple of practices and likes the level, much better than at her current club. She is one of the better players at our current club. I want to inform myself as much as possible before we go talk to coach. They have mentioned her as a DP.

I know I can google it etc... but can I walk away from her current club and play for the GDA program? Since the are different leagues I don't think I have to pay a release fee.

I will sift through the hate and appreciate any info ahead of time

good weekend

WFF is recruiting early on TS with a real question! Desperation!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      WFF is recruiting early on TS with a real question! Desperation!
      all DA teams are actively looking for talent... all year

Comment

all DA teams are actively looking for talent... all year
        Especially when many are off doing high school and DP's are needed as fill ins until they arrive back after the HS playoffs.

Comment

DP's can do high school, but after a certain number of playing in GDA games they must decide to become a full time GDA member or not.

Comment

my daughter is being recruited by WFF GDA, she currently plays at a local travel team. She has been at a couple of practices and likes the level, much better than at her current club. She is one of the better players at our current club. I want to inform myself as much as possible before we go talk to coach. They have mentioned her as a DP.

I know I can google it etc... but can I walk away from her current club and play for the GDA program? Since the are different leagues I don't think I have to pay a release fee.

good weekend
            Regardless of club the questions you should be asking are a) what does your daughter want? b) Does she want to improve as a player? c) Does she want to possibly play in college? d) Is she willing to give up high school soccer and other sports? Are you willing to pay more and travel more (like A LOT ore travel)?

If the answer is no to ANY of those questions, don't bother

If yes, then you need to determine if that club is the best club for her. Not all DA clubs have good coaching and realistically the level might not be a good fit for her. Plenty of bench warmers used to be "top" players in lower level leagues. Also keep in mind that being a DP means she's a B level player and may never make the A team.

Comment

good weekend

You should check as DA rules have been very much open to interpretation. However, DP's do not have to leave their current club. They are limited to a total of 6 DA games for the year regardless of minutes. After that, they need to make a choice.

As for leaving your other club, you need to know your clubs particular rules. In most cases, if you don't owe any money then you should be granted a release. That is not always the case, but is typical.

Comment

Regardless of club the questions you should be asking are a) what does your daughter want? b) Does she want to improve as a player? c) Does she want to possibly play in college? d) Is she willing to give up high school soccer and other sports? Are you willing to pay more and travel more (like A LOT ore travel)?

If the answer is no to ANY of those questions, don't bother

If yes, then you need to determine if that club is the best club for her. Not all DA clubs have good coaching and realistically the level might not be a good fit for her. Plenty of bench warmers used to be "top" players in lower level leagues. Also keep in mind that being a DP means she's a B level player and may never make the A team.
                ok thanks for the response, she doesn't play HS, its really bad in the northern Tampa area, (at least at her school), so that's not an issue and we already traveled a lot (son played travel baseball, aged out already) so that's ok.

the coach at her current club is good, she likes him , the GDA coach has good credentials and the 3 times she has been at his practice she enjoys the advanced drills. Most of the GDA team is good, maybe 1 or 2 that may not keep up but mostly there. Her current club has 7-8 players that probably have no business playing travel soccer.

so will there be a release fee if she decides to do it. any disclosures I need to be aware of before jumping over to DA from non DA club?

Comment

good weekend
                  If she is a DP she is not a DA player but would practice with the DA team and could play in up to 6 games as a DP.

Clubs will use DPs for a variety of reasons but they are discouraged from offering DPs as a form retention or recruitment. It is up to you to determine their true interest and intentions with your player.

Comment

You should check as DA rules have been very much open to interpretation. However, DP's do not have to leave their current club. They are limited to a total of 6 DA games for the year regardless of minutes. After that, they need to make a choice.

As for leaving your other club, you need to know your clubs particular rules. In most cases, if you don't owe any money then you should be granted a release. That is not always the case, but is typical.
                    A DP can only be rostered on a DA’s club team. You cannot be a DP for a DA and be rostered at another club. In fact, even in cases of “partner clubs” you cannot be a DP and be rostered on the partner clubs team.

Comment

good weekend
                      I would be leery of that particular club keeping stated or implied promises. We know several families that have been enticed to that club with promises of playing on certain teams in certain leagues only to learn after a month or two that their child will actually be assigned to a different team in a different league - usually at a lower level.

Comment

ok thanks for a little bit of info...
                        in summary, she probably cant continue to play for her current club and do GDA (even as a DP), she wasn't planning on that anyway.

She will probably have to ask for a release from the current club to be rostered on the GDA club... im wondering if they don't release her whats the big deal, we aren't asking for any money back and its a totally different league, not like we would need to bring over player card, right?

Comment

When it comes to WFF, the coach of the 03s (SS) is the only one worth changing over for & given the recent history with WFF, there is more than 50% chance he won't be there next year. The instability within the club is well documented.
                          With that said, he is a good coach, definitely the best there, by far.
                          Good luck to your daughter & her decision!

Comment

I would be leery of that particular club keeping stated or implied promises. We know several families that have been enticed to that club with promises of playing on certain teams in certain leagues only to learn after a month or two that their child will actually be assigned to a different team in a different league - usually at a lower level.
                            In regards to the movement between ECNL/NPL/and CDL teams this has happened before. However, there is no fluidity when it comes to DA rosters. Players can't be 'demoted'.

SS is also the coach of the u17 team, and I would love to know where the poster got his vegas odds from. Hes sticking around.

Comment

If exposure is important, just know that every game except for the very first one has been attended by college coaches and/or us Soccer scouts. At the winter showcase alone, over 130 college representatives watch WFF GDA games.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X