Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Was talking to a D1 coach last night that was at the Showcase the last few days. She said it was very interesting that across all age groups the quality of the GDA teams were at 2 extremes - either very high end and really impressive or dismally poor. She said many of the college coaches were commenting on it and found it puzzling. She said that it was almost awkward that 5-8 minutes into a game a bunch of coaches would stand up, fold their chair and scurry to another field because the play was so lopsided. She said it was especially odd because theoretically the format of the showcase was to try to group teams of like abilities (similar records, level of competition, etc.).

Not sure what to make of it.........
    I doubt the entirety of the story but let’s play along and say that it’s true... with the huge turnout of college coaches and the apparent no show at the ecnl showcase , next years elite girls that stayed with ecnl will start making their way to a GDA team if geographically possible. This will push out the girls that made it as bubble players , who in turn will turn to ecnl , if available, or the other leagues. This is the first dagger towards the eventual demise of ecnl, sad cuz my kid was a part of it for 3 years. But it is what it is.

Comment

While it may not be about college, college is about scouting GDA. But as alluded to the coaches are scouting individual talent and won't be fooled by a GDA label. Plus most GDA teams were ECNL or travel league but yesterday.
      They are scouting the talent with ability to skip school and fly to Florida to play soccer. They want talent yes, but talent with the resources to do that is even better.

Comment

Was talking to a D1 coach last night that was at the Showcase the last few days. She said it was very interesting that across all age groups the quality of the GDA teams were at 2 extremes - either very high end and really impressive or dismally poor. She said many of the college coaches were commenting on it and found it puzzling. She said that it was almost awkward that 5-8 minutes into a game a bunch of coaches would stand up, fold their chair and scurry to another field because the play was so lopsided. She said it was especially odd because theoretically the format of the showcase was to try to group teams of like abilities (similar records, level of competition, etc.).

Not sure what to make of it.........

Cant speak for the other ages but the Florida 01's shut out a number of the teams they played so depending on which side of the fence they're on, I can see why they may think that. I know the coaches at our games were planted for most of the game.

Comment

I doubt the entirety of the story but let’s play along and say that it’s true... with the huge turnout of college coaches and the apparent no show at the ecnl showcase , next years elite girls that stayed with ecnl will start making their way to a GDA team if geographically possible. This will push out the girls that made it as bubble players , who in turn will turn to ecnl , if available, or the other leagues. This is the first dagger towards the eventual demise of ecnl, sad cuz my kid was a part of it for 3 years. But it is what it is.
          OP here... what I posted is 100% true - I have no reason to fabricate anything. I just shared what the coach said. I don't see why you have to be so defensive about GDA and then attack ECNL. She did say there were a ton of coaches there and some teams were very impressive - but - she said some teams were dismal. This could probably be said of many Showcases. And for a frame of reference she said her school was covering Disney, the GDA Showcase and the ECNL Showcase in Sanford this year (as well as Showcases out West later) and skipped the ECNL Composite Showcase.

Comment

They are scouting the talent with ability to skip school and fly to Florida to play soccer. They want talent yes, but talent with the resources to do that is even better.
            With the D1 Women's College dead recruiting period from December 15-January 5, high school students won't be doing tournaments when they are out of school around the holidays but the family time is more important.

Comment

OP here... what I posted is 100% true - I have no reason to fabricate anything. I just shared what the coach said. I don't see why you have to be so defensive about GDA and then attack ECNL. She did say there were a ton of coaches there and some teams were very impressive - but - she said some teams were dismal. This could probably be said of many Showcases. And for a frame of reference she said her school was covering Disney, the GDA Showcase and the ECNL Showcase in Sanford this year (as well as Showcases out West later) and skipped the ECNL Composite Showcase.
              Florida players are fortunate to have coverage by most colleges for Disney, GDA, and ECNL Showcases. NPL team brackets should be formed at Disney like there was a DA second team bracket at Disney. The oldest Composite ECNL league teams should have a bracket at the ECNL showcase in Sanford in January. Players can attend any one of those tournaments and have a college be able to see them play. Some players in other areas of the country aren't so fortunate.

Comment

FYI I wasn’t attacking ecnl , my kid was a part of it for 3 years and we never had a bad experience with any of their showcases .

Just doubt that 3-4 coaches got up and left after 5 mins , either they were at the wrong field or the player they were scouting wasn’t playing.

Comment

With the D1 Women's College dead recruiting period from December 15-January 5, high school students won't be doing tournaments when they are out of school around the holidays but the family time is more important.
                  Most high schools are not on break right now. Most have about one week between xmas and Jan 1.

Comment

Most high schools are not on break right now. Most have about one week between xmas and Jan 1.
                    and that last week is Semester Finals in Florida.

Comment

FYI I wasn’t attacking ecnl , my kid was a part of it for 3 years and we never had a bad experience with any of their showcases .

Just doubt that 3-4 coaches got up and left after 5 mins , either they were at the wrong field or the player they were scouting wasn’t playing.
                      Lots of games going on at the same time and why wouldn't a coach gravitate towards the better game of competition?

Comment

Lots of games going on at the same time and why wouldn't a coach gravitate towards the better game of competition?
                        Because coaches scout players, not teams based on pre-coordination and invites from players and communication from them and with them. They are there for a purpose, it benefits some kids if while watching another player they get noticed and pass that communication back to the coach for the kid to contact them. Tricky for sophomores and younger, easier for Juniors and older as they can legally be contacted directly by a college coach. But by juniors ( mostly 2001- 2019 graduates, not 2020) many are well into the process or already verbally committed, and many of the coaches are there just watching to make sure the development of their recruit is continuing to progress.

Most problems with recruiting is a false expectation of where I child is capable of playing in college, starting with Mom and dad.

Comment

This is minimally true. However if a a team sucks it reflects on the player. Also there is a a perception as to disparity of level and how it reflects in the individual players.

Comment

Wow

OC and AH: Do you finally get it that you and your club cannot develop players. The 18/19 team gave up 17 goals and scored 0. Enough of the excuses of injury and being short handed.

Comment

OC and AH: Do you finally get it that you and your club cannot develop players. The 18/19 team gave up 17 goals and scored 0. Enough of the excuses of injury and being short handed.
                              We develop but the ones we played developed more.

Comment

We develop but the ones we played developed more.
                                I was shocked to see the OC U18/19 results. They are doing well in their region, but they had a dismal showing at the showcase. On the other hand, the U16/17 did well. I know they paired like records against one another, so does that mean that for the U18/19, they don't compare to other top teams in the country? Or that the U16/17 does well against the lower seeded teams, but can't do well in their regional play? Interesting to say the least.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X