Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My son got a bad infection from a turf burn. Tiny nick that we didn't think anything about at first until it turned bright red, inflamed and turned into the size of a golf ball on his leg. Nasty stuff and scared the crap out of us. Very happy my players' club are based on grass fields. We still play on turf quite a bit but at least the exposure is a bit less than it could be.
    So is the suggestion that your kid got an infection because he played on turf and got a turf burn...as opposed to your kid played on turf, got a turf burn, and appropriate treatment to prevent infection was never taken?

Comment

So is the suggestion that your kid got an infection because he played on turf and got a turf burn...as opposed to your kid played on turf, got a turf burn, and appropriate treatment to prevent infection was never taken?
      Same thing happened to my son. Cut from turf allowed staph infection to develop. He had a very bad infection.

The doctor said turf burn acts as a window for bacteria to come in .. So it's not that the turf burn that got infected but that it allowed staph to enter into body

Comment

To be honest with you, I didn't know much about turf at all (call me ignorant). My player got a very small scrape... which didn't warrant any concern to me until AFTER it turned into a flaming red mass on his leg (essentially overnight one night). Knowing what I know now, I would treat any cut/scrape from turf differently but at the time, I didn't realize how nasty the stuff could be.

Comment

staph infections have become a bigger problem for football players as well. part of the problem is that it can get in off a small scratch that you don't even know you have, or wouldn't think twice about, or are not even sure where it came from. anyone who is hitting the turf often (keeper, football) should keep an eye on it. a player on my son's team got it on his arm and it literally blew up in just a few hours.

Comment

To be honest with you, I didn't know much about turf at all (call me ignorant). My player got a very small scrape... which didn't warrant any concern to me until AFTER it turned into a flaming red mass on his leg (essentially overnight one night). Knowing what I know now, I would treat any cut/scrape from turf differently but at the time, I didn't realize how nasty the stuff could be.
            Good know the potential added risk. My uncle lost half his quad from a staph infection contracted during an otherwise routine hospital stay. Serious business. I'll be even more vigilant going forward.

Comment

Keepers should not be wearing shorts playing on turf.
              Any player that gets a " turf burn " should have it cleansed ASAP, even during a substitution.

If I was associated with a team that practiced and played on turf, I would make sure there were appropriate cleansers on the sideline at all times.

Comment

Keepers should not be wearing shorts playing on turf.
                Any player that gets a " turf burn " should have it cleansed ASAP, even during a substitution.

If I was associated with a team that practiced and played on turf, I would make sure there were appropriate cleansers on the sideline at all times.
                Good point. MY GK will be on turf all winter for club. I'm insisting on pants at all times no matter how hot the facility is

Comment

There is an organic farm up the street.

It is next to a highway, the highway has been there for years.

I tested the soil, lead levels above allowable, but it is certified organic....

Comment

Good point. MY GK will be on turf all winter for club. I'm insisting on pants at all times no matter how hot the facility is
                    All great points. My daughter always fights bak on my insistence she wears pants or goalkeeper socks which come to the thigh. Long sleev shirts as well.

This is all very eye opening as is that article. I always simply worried about staph infections on turf but now......

Comment

This is certainly something to be concerned about but what about leg and knee injuries on turf? Should the MIAA and MYSA put a disclaimer out that states that the incidence of knee and leg injuries in significantly higher on turf? Should they require or at least advise that turf shoes should be worn? Should they require documentation that the fields have been properly maintained and provide maintenance records to the governing bodies?

Comment

This is certainly something to be concerned about but what about leg and knee injuries on turf? Should the MIAA and MYSA put a disclaimer out that states that the incidence of knee and leg injuries in significantly higher on turf? Should they require or at least advise that turf shoes should be worn? Should they require documentation that the fields have been properly maintained and provide maintenance records to the governing bodies?
                        The thought of MYSA providing records to itself ensuring it has properly maintained its own turf fields....LOL

Comment

My son got a bad infection from a turf burn. Tiny nick that we didn't think anything about at first until it turned bright red, inflamed and turned into the size of a golf ball on his leg. Nasty stuff and scared the crap out of us. Very happy my players' club are based on grass fields. We still play on turf quite a bit but at least the exposure is a bit less than it could be.
                          My daughter's team has to have immediate treatment for any burns or cuts because the field was supposedly contaminated with MRSA.

Comment

My God, is there any point of posting anything intelligent in this forum? I believe the poster talking about turf maintenance has an excellent point. If there are at least regular checks on maintenance perhaps athletes won't be playing on surfaces that aren't taken care of? There are many more turf fields at other facilities than just Lancaster. Let's see, 5 fields turf fields at Lancaster.

MIAA should be protecting student athletes. Coaches and AD's have to be held to a higher standard. Safety first!

Comment

Note that rubber is not the only thing that can be used for infill, but it is promoted by industry because it's basically free. Some places (professional stadiums in Europe) are experimenting with natural infills like moss.

Comment

My God, is there any point of posting anything intelligent in this forum? I believe the poster talking about turf maintenance has an excellent point. If there are at least regular checks on maintenance perhaps athletes won't be playing on surfaces that aren't taken care of? There are many more turf fields at other facilities than just Lancaster. Let's see, 5 fields turf fields at Lancaster.

MIAA should be protecting student athletes. Coaches and AD's have to be held to a higher standard. Safety first!
                                The post about turf maintenance was a good one indeed, and my snarky response highlights another issue that can't be ignored if you're going to discuss the point, namely the organizational dysfunction of MYSA and MIAA. The fields at Lancaster, since MYSA owns them, and while not the only (duh) are certainly worth highlighting, calls into question the idea suggested does it not? I'm no turf expert, but some are obviously used more than others and maintained better than others. I'd trust a private indoor or outdoor facility to maintain its own turf to whatever an acceptable standard before I entrusted those bureaucracies to get anything right...without it at least adding to the cost more than necessary.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X