Talking-Soccer.com  

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 4 > Oregon

Notices

Oregon Discussions about Oregon soccer.

Old 05-30-2017
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Please provide the link to verify your statement, "OYSA is projecting declining numbers in competitive soccer for the first time in years. Cost up, conflicts up, accountability down"
See this: http://www.oregonlive.com/education/...t_continu.html

A likely reason for declining participation in youth soccer is simply the end of the Millennial demographic boom. Schools have been seeing decreases in enrollment for several years--the cited article is five years old, but if it was starting to affect kindergarten and first grade in 2012, the impact should now be hitting competitive youth soccer.

Keep in mind, 90% of organized soccer players stay rec, and even among those that do competitive soccer, most are unaware of the politics surrounding the training of elite players. I've heard plenty of parents bitching about this club and moving to that club. I've never heard anyone say "I'd put my kids in classic soccer, but OYSA is corrupt and I don't want a dime of my money going to Timbers Academy".
Old 05-30-2017
Unregistered

Quote:

A likely reason for declining participation in youth soccer is simply the end of the Millennial demographic boom. Schools have been seeing decreases in enrollment for several years--the cited article is five years old, but if it was starting to affect kindergarten and first grade in 2012, the impact should now be hitting competitive youth soccer.

Keep in mind, 90% of organized soccer players stay rec, and even among those that do competitive soccer, most are unaware of the politics surrounding the training of elite players. I've heard plenty of parents bitching about this club and moving to that club. I've never heard anyone say "I'd put my kids in classic soccer, but OYSA is corrupt and I don't want a dime of my money going to Timbers Academy".
Oregon birth rates didn't start to decline until 09 (national trend started in 08); competitive soccer hasn't faced the full impact of those declines yet.

Timbers have been a double edged sword for youth soccer - they have created a great deal of interest in the sport + subsidize their academies. Both positives.

On the other hand cost of competitive soccer has gone up materially since their involvement, in terms of player card fees, leagues, and state cup. Their relationship with OYSA, then, OPL, and OYSA has been damaging.

The sport (in my opinion) would be better served without Timbers running leagues, state cup, and ODP. They have been a net negative in those activities.
Old 05-30-2017
Unregistered

Quote:
Oregon birth rates didn't start to decline until 09 (national trend started in 08); competitive soccer hasn't faced the full impact of those declines yet.

Timbers have been a double edged sword for youth soccer - they have created a great deal of interest in the sport + subsidize their academies. Both positives.

On the other hand cost of competitive soccer has gone up materially since their involvement, in terms of player card fees, leagues, and state cup. Their relationship with OYSA, then, OPL, and OYSA has been damaging.

The sport (in my opinion) would be better served without Timbers running leagues, state cup, and ODP. They have been a net negative in those activities.
The DA programs for the Timbers/Thorns should not be placed in our local market, it was a poor decision, that has been executed as a blind stab at fielding competitive Academy teams using our locals, who will one day become pros. (Same feeling about or local clubs signing up for the US Club Soccer, ECNL)

In theory it has a chance (adcademy/elite soccer), in practice it has blown up classic competitive soccer, sent clubs seeking salvation in N.J., created a underbelly of acroynm and fly by night clubs in our local area.

OYSA and Peregerine don't need each other, it's time to let the Pro clubs figure out how to create pros and Non-profit Youth State Associations figure out how to adminster the goals of the Oregon families and players.

Or continue the current trend of chaos and medicority attached to a brand and a pay to play model that has no end in sight.

Betting on the latter until it all blows up..then what?
Old 05-30-2017
Unregistered

Timbers or Thorns DA need hiring quality coaches. current coaching staff do not have ability to develop players that once day making to the big league. They are just lousy and mostly selecting kids that are trained privately with them to the DA.
Old 05-30-2017
Unregistered

Quote:
Timbers or Thorns DA need hiring quality coaches. current coaching staff do not have ability to develop players that once day making to the big league. They are just lousy and mostly selecting kids that are trained privately with them to the DA.
Why? The coaching matches the level of the player they select. Classic Soccer. No big deal and the money they (player) save playing in the DA can be spent on private lessons. Circle of soccer life in good ole Portlandia.
Old 05-30-2017
Unregistered

Quote:

Reminder that this article from 2012, said "numbers were leveling off."

I've seen the growth of soccer, especially on the girls' side grow considerably since my family arrived in Portland around 2000. We watched older cousins playing and now our DDs.

From personal observation I've noticed the multi-sport female trend changed to specialization in one competitive sport. My kids' teams have more girls opting not to play basketball or softball. Their cousins used to complain about players being available for only part of the soccer seasons, so they'd travel to tournaments with smaller rosters or with guest players. Since their teams played at high-level tournaments it wasn't surprising that the coaches would not pick up the 'seasonal' players at the next tryouts.

FYI-Here is statewide data directly from the state Fall Enrollment statistics:
http://www.oregon.gov/ode/reports-an...t-Reports.aspx

Percent change from 2015-16 to 2016-17 up 0.44%
Percent change from 2014-15 to 2015-16 up 0.97%
Percent change from 2013-14 to 2014-15 up 0.66%
Percent change from 2011-12 to 2013-14 up 0.49%
Old 05-30-2017
Unregistered

Quote:
And now everyone will celebrate any GDA losses. It's unfortunate. DA and now GDA are the top tier programs in the state and are subsidized, and they should be more supported. The haters need to look deep and ask why all the hate.
Are you really naive enough to ask that question? It's all based on the fact that politics and money run the asylum. Those teams, if run properly, are to be comprised of the top talent in the area with the ultimate goal of developing homegrown players and year in year out that is not the case. They have forgotten what the true mission of these academy teams was in exchange for another revenue stream. This is what happens when a monopoly exists- they can run it as they choose knowing enough people will say, pay and do anything to say their kid has that logo on their jersey. Competition would put an end to that very quickly...
Old 06-01-2017
Unregistered

Quote:
Are you really naive enough to ask that question? It's all based on the fact that politics and money run the asylum. Those teams, if run properly, are to be comprised of the top talent in the area with the ultimate goal of developing homegrown players and year in year out that is not the case. They have forgotten what the true mission of these academy teams was in exchange for another revenue stream. This is what happens when a monopoly exists- they can run it as they choose knowing enough people will say, pay and do anything to say their kid has that logo on their jersey. Competition would put an end to that very quickly...
The incoming 04 academy team is made of the top talent of the region. Soccer skills aren't very quantifiable and there are definitely some awesome players who aren't going into the academy but the kids going in are very solid.
Old 06-01-2017
Unregistered

Quote:
For the user in the DA: the highly talented playe, they love it, as it's paid for. What's not to love about that? The owner of Timbers/Thorns pays from his own pocket for the DA's and you still bitch. Get a clue and a life.

The local clubs can't compete as they are strapped with payrolls that approach $500-$750K annually. The club structure has turned them into daycare/babysitting centers of mediocrity that exist to pay soccer bums a modest, sometimes inflated wage.

Until they (clubs) restructure and develop actual goals and produce an on field product that is excellent they will never compete with a subsidized DA in Oregon.

They (clubs) have done it to themselves. It is, what it is.
Old 06-01-2017
Unregistered

Quote:
For the user in the DA: the highly talented playe, they love it, as it's paid for. What's not to love about that? The owner of Timbers/Thorns pays from his own pocket for the DA's and you still bitch. Get a clue and a life.

The local clubs can't compete as they are strapped with payrolls that approach $500-$750K annually. The club structure has turned them into daycare/babysitting centers of mediocrity that exist to pay soccer bums a modest, sometimes inflated wage.

Until they (clubs) restructure and develop actual goals and produce an on field product that is excellent they will never compete with a subsidized DA in Oregon.

They (clubs) have done it to themselves. It is, what it is.
The truth is somewhere in between. MLS won't pay training fees, and just take kids they want. The fed won't allow a pathway for anyone else to form a professional team that can compete with Timbers. Clubs are backed into a corner, and so they become a service for paying customers. They lose their spine, can't make hard choices, and can't develop players.

It's a bad situation.