Talking-Soccer.com  

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 4 > Oregon

Notices

Oregon Discussions about Oregon soccer.

Old 05-23-2017
Unregistered

Default High School Concussions-not club soccer

Just posting because I didn't know about RIO. Do any of our high schools participate in this program?

1. From Science Daily
Title:
Female soccer players suffer the most concussions in high school sports
Study finds significant increase in overall reported concussions since traumatic brain injury laws enacted
Date:
March 14, 2017
Source:
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Summary:
High school girls have a significantly higher concussion rate than boys, with female soccer players suffering the most concussions, according to new research.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0314081533.htm

2. Youth Sports Safety Alliance, Colorado School of Public Health
Title:Trends in High School Sports Concussion:Some Good News Finally?
R. Dawn Comstock, PhD, Associate Professor, Epidemiology, CSPH
PIPER Program
March, 2014: 5th Annual Youth Sports Safety Summit
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0314081533.htm

Looking forward to discussion and what players are doing to protect themselves.
Soccer clubs here seem to be taking steps via concussion training but what about the schools?
Old 05-23-2017
Unregistered

Used to see a lot of padded headgear... now I don't...
Old 05-24-2017
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Used to see a lot of padded headgear... now I don't...
That's right. What happened to that gear? I remember the Full90 head gear people at Surf Cup. More players down there wearing it than up here.
Old 05-24-2017
Unregistered

Also this thing:

http://unequal.com/shop/halo/

My 13yrold D can't jump and is the shortest kid on the field so for
now I'm not that worried.

A football helmet and facemask is what she needs.
Old 05-24-2017
Unregistered

Quote:
Also this thing:

http://unequal.com/shop/halo/

My 13yrold D can't jump and is the shortest kid on the field so for
now I'm not that worried.

A football helmet and facemask is what she needs.
haha, my youngest is slower and less athletic than yours so take that!
Old 05-24-2017
Unregistered

I see less precautions in our club games and practices than our high school.

Club kid gets plowed over head smacks the ground no call, no sub, nothing, after she makes her way back to her feet.

High school they have to take a test before they can play that is a baseline then if there is a question of concussion they have to pass the follow up test before being released back to practice.
Old 05-24-2017
Unregistered

Quote:
I see less precautions in our club games and practices than our high school.

Club kid gets plowed over head smacks the ground no call, no sub, nothing, after she makes her way back to her feet.

High school they have to take a test before they can play that is a baseline then if there is a question of concussion they have to pass the follow up test before being released back to practice.
Seen the same. HS rules enforced and folllowed much more strictly. Seen club team players get knocked out, lay on the field for 10 minutes, sit out the rest of the game but play the next day. Club coaches, parents & players ignore the dangers. Why don't the officials report the blows to the head?
Old 05-24-2017
Unregistered

There were a few reports that the headgear wasn't very effective so that's why you see it less. One thing that can make a difference and it's so easy is a mouthguard. They absorb a ton of shock, yet you never see soccer players wear them while all other sports do.

All of my kids have had concussions and I know another HS athlete (different sport) who had two bad successive ones and two years later is still struggling through school and probably won't graduate on time. We do not mess with them at all. Luckily none of my kids' coaches pushed them to play too soon, but many will push. It's tough for kids to gauge also - they can start to feel better and are dying to start doing regular things again, then once symptoms rea-appear they don't want to scale back again.
Old 05-24-2017
Unregistered

Quote:
Seen the same. HS rules enforced and folllowed much more strictly. Seen club team players get knocked out, lay on the field for 10 minutes, sit out the rest of the game but play the next day. Club coaches, parents & players ignore the dangers. Why don't the officials report the blows to the head?
A lot of HS require a baseline test, but your pediatricians can do them as well or help you get one. It's fast and inexpensive and a good reference point if a concussion is suspected.
They're recommended for kids over 10 and for ages 10-15 it's recommended you re-do it every two years because of brain development changes as they go through puberty.
Old 05-24-2017
Unregistered

Quote:
Only seen one ref in OYSA that follows the concussion protocols. Don't think the refs are as worried as the schools about being sued.