Talking-Soccer.com  

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 4 > Oregon

Notices

Oregon Discussions about Oregon soccer.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-25-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default GDA Coaching Assignments - Was This Thought Out?

Building off of some of the other threads to ask a basic question: have these girl DA coaching assignments been thought through?

First they try to poach THUSC DOC - get what they were trying to do, didn't work, but hey worth a shot.

Then they add 2 HS coaches. Putting aside the conflicts issues for a second, mechanically how does this work - girls DA is supposed to train 3 to 4x per week; 1-2 games per weekend. How can a HS coach possibly do that during HS season? Thorns have no Portland opponents - 50% of their league games are out-of-town and more than 50% of their games should be (assuming 1-2 showcases).

Gaff is also DOC at Eastside. How can he serve as DOC of a major club, coach HS, coach girls DA all at the same time?

Asking these questions from an ECNL club, so assume biased. Just watching how hard Thorns are trying to recruit, how much badmouthing we've lived through over the last couple of years from SOME alliance coaches (others continue to send their players to ECNL), and wondering how exactly is this suppose to work.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-25-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

My assumption is that the same very busy staff were given the job of slapping this together on top of their regular load of work on short notice. Seems like they haven't really thought a lot of this through.

US Soccer says try out fees prohibited. Thorns are charging a very large fee.

US Soccer says minimum required 4 trainings per week. Thorns say only 3.

US Soccer says no high school activities. Thorns say maybe.

Assumuption is that they might rally once they get a chance to review the rules and have some time.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-26-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Does anyone know where I can apply? I have been to at least a hundred youth games and practices over the years and know I can do a good job. Also I am a hard worker.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-26-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Building off of some of the other threads to ask a basic question: have these girl DA coaching assignments been thought through?

First they try to poach THUSC DOC - get what they were trying to do, didn't work, but hey worth a shot.

Then they add 2 HS coaches. Putting aside the conflicts issues for a second, mechanically how does this work - girls DA is supposed to train 3 to 4x per week; 1-2 games per weekend. How can a HS coach possibly do that during HS season? Thorns have no Portland opponents - 50% of their league games are out-of-town and more than 50% of their games should be (assuming 1-2 showcases).

Gaff is also DOC at Eastside. How can he serve as DOC of a major club, coach HS, coach girls DA all at the same time?

Asking these questions from an ECNL club, so assume biased. Just watching how hard Thorns are trying to recruit, how much badmouthing we've lived through over the last couple of years from SOME alliance coaches (others continue to send their players to ECNL), and wondering how exactly is this suppose to work.
I'm a TA parent and I have the same questions.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-26-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm a TA parent and I have the same questions.
Instead of asking this question on an anonymous board, why don't you contact the Thorns Academy staff directly and ask them?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-26-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My assumption is that the same very busy staff were given the job of slapping this together on top of their regular load of work on short notice. Seems like they haven't really thought a lot of this through.

US Soccer says try out fees prohibited. Thorns are charging a very large fee.

US Soccer says minimum required 4 trainings per week. Thorns say only 3.

US Soccer says no high school activities. Thorns say maybe.

Assumuption is that they might rally once they get a chance to review the rules and have some time.
There won't be time for HS activities. Thorns is saying "maybe" and 3x/wk (for now) so they can con the current Thorns Academy starters that do multiple sports. My guess is the GDA starting 11 will be basically the same as this year's starters in the Academy. Thorns can go against all GDA rules for now but they can change at anytime and blame it on US Soccer. The GDA program was thought out, clearly spelled out & US Soccer wants it implemented. I say do it right for a better chance of success. At the subsidized price, GDA will still get enough good players apply.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-26-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My assumption is that the same very busy staff were given the job of slapping this together on top of their regular load of work on short notice. Seems like they haven't really thought a lot of this through.

US Soccer says try out fees prohibited. Thorns are charging a very large fee.

US Soccer says minimum required 4 trainings per week. Thorns say only 3.

US Soccer says no high school activities. Thorns say maybe.

Assumuption is that they might rally once they get a chance to review the rules and have some time.
If they want kids to join the four minimum practices a week and banned from high school sports don't really work. Who know if they will change once they have them in.

Did thorns get ANY kids in college this year?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-26-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If they want kids to join the four minimum practices a week and banned from high school sports don't really work. Who know if they will change once they have them in.

Did thorns get ANY kids in college this year?
Who cares. Current Thorns are not in the US Soccer GDA program.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-26-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Instead of asking this question on an anonymous board, why don't you contact the Thorns Academy staff directly and ask them?
After witnessing the lies told in the last year by current academy staff, I wouldn't expect any honest information from them. To recap:

ODP will have teams for every age group (week before tryouts when most kids had signed up and paid, announced 00/01 pool would be combined).

2016-17 academy teams will do a summer college showcase tournament (turned out to be in Beaverton).

Academy will require practice 4x's/week (recently changed to 3).

Thorns website stated for over a year that TA clubs unanimously supported sending players to academy (TA clubs howled until thorns took this down - because it wasn't true).

I could go on and on. But the point is I wouldn't waste me time asking the lying liars of thorns academy for information so they could lie a few more lies at me.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-26-2017
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If they want kids to join the four minimum practices a week and banned from high school sports don't really work. Who know if they will change once they have them in.

Did thorns get ANY kids in college this year?
Don't think they did but they did try.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.