Talking-Soccer.com  

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 4 > Oregon

Notices

Oregon Discussions about Oregon soccer.

Old 05-11-2015
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I would add Washington Timbers to that as well. Looks like they are in NWCL and hanging in there in 3rd in OYSA.
So once again FC is going to have to do some serious recruiting to get out of the basement of this age bracket. Just wait though, the lemmings will come and bail them out just like their 02's! The question is why and how long??
Old 05-11-2015
Unregistered

Quote:
So once again FC is going to have to do some serious recruiting to get out of the basement of this age bracket. Just wait though, the lemmings will come and bail them out just like their 02's! The question is why and how long??
The development at FC is recruitment enough. The parents of top athletes from other clubs see it and want their DD's to experience it as well so they join up. It's too bad that more clubs don't worry about developing players but, really, what can you expect from a bunch of TA bootballers?
Old 05-11-2015
Unregistered

Quote:
The development at FC is recruitment enough. The parents of top athletes from other clubs see it and want their DD's to experience it as well so they join up. It's too bad that more clubs don't worry about developing players but, really, what can you expect from a bunch of TA bootballers?
If they were so great at developing early talent why do their younger age groups struggle so much until the outside recruits show up??? Why aren't the 03's competitive now before recruiting kicks in?
Old 05-11-2015
Unregistered

Quote:
If they were so great at developing early talent why do their younger age groups struggle so much until the outside recruits show up??? Why aren't the 03's competitive now before recruiting kicks in?
I'll take this one. My DD didn't play for FC early, but does now, ECNL. We never lost to a FC team from U10 to U14. We were known as a well coached, technical team, but we rarely worked on technical development. I can easily say that my DD and the other players that have moved on to different clubs were behind technically. I have 2 more DD's that will be going through youth soccer, and I will be making sure they play for teams and in clubs that are placing technical development over wins early on.
Old 05-11-2015
Unregistered

So you are assuming that all of FC youngsters who start off in FC Junior academy graduate to core starters later on at FC ECNL or High School due to the "technical development" focus.

But what people are questioning is whether or not those you FC academy kids and u10-U14 kids end up being the primary starters on FC's older teams. What seems to observed is that FC supplants their own kids with outside talent and then focus on developing that talent.
Old 05-11-2015
Unregistered

Quote:
So you are assuming that all of FC youngsters who start off in FC Junior academy graduate to core starters later on at FC ECNL or High School due to the "technical development" focus.

But what people are questioning is whether or not those you FC academy kids and u10-U14 kids end up being the primary starters on FC's older teams. What seems to observed is that FC supplants their own kids with outside talent and then focus on developing that talent.
In some cases the new players start, but not in all cases. DD is a great athlete, tactically sound, but not as technical as the FC starters at her position, so coming off the bench. She gets good playing time, as FC has been very fair with playing time, but it has been a real eye opener for her. She talks about how the FC player s were tested regularly on technical skills and juggling, to keep them accountable. If they didn't show improvement the coach knew they hadn't been doing their outside and they lost playing time. This never happened once at her previous club.
Old 05-11-2015
Unregistered

Quote:
In some cases the new players start, but not in all cases. DD is a great athlete, tactically sound, but not as technical as the FC starters at her position, so coming off the bench. She gets good playing time, as FC has been very fair with playing time, but it has been a real eye opener for her. She talks about how the FC player s were tested regularly on technical skills and juggling, to keep them accountable. If they didn't show improvement the coach knew they hadn't been doing their outside and they lost playing time. This never happened once at her previous club.
Ahhh. Then you certainly needed a better club. Sooner or later when you match athlete vs athlete in soccer it's the one with the technical skills on top of athleticism that are more valuable. Good move on your part. I see the same thing at our club. New players come in and cant juggle or can't make any offensive or defensive technical moves to separate from players. Really kills the mojo when you cant receive, evade and distribute the ball.
Old 05-11-2015
Unregistered

Quote:
Ahhh. Then you certainly needed a better club. Sooner or later when you match athlete vs athlete in soccer it's the one with the technical skills on top of athleticism that are more valuable. Good move on your part. I see the same thing at our club. New players come in and cant juggle or can't make any offensive or defensive technical moves to separate from players. Really kills the mojo when you cant receive, evade and distribute the ball.
Yep. It is the evade that gets her. For 4 years it was one to two touch soccer. She can receive and distribute with the best of them, but can't break someone down on the dribble. If I only knew then, what I know know, i would have put her with a coach that demanded that the kids work on technical outside of practice. Really would have helped with her confidence on the ball at the ECNL level
Old 05-11-2015
Unregistered

Quote:
Better club is right! I must be giving other clubs too much credit and my DD's not enough because basic technical development and competitive juggling seem like low bars to me!
Old 05-11-2015
Unregistered

Quote:

Exactly. This was definitely the case with the 02's! Transfers pulled that team out of the bottom of their bracket, not some magical early development!