Talking-Soccer.com  

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 4 > Oregon

Notices

Oregon Discussions about Oregon soccer.

Old 05-22-2017
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you live further away then how do you know about 'promises' and the current training?

The GDA is a completely separate entity and has nothing whatsoever to do with Alliance clubs. Alliance clubs lost players to the TA as did other clubs. Likely the same for this year.

As a consumer, you are better served by a focus on your DD's choices. It doesn't sound like the TA, GDA, or ECNL were of interest anyhow.
OP here. I know about the promises because my daughter did ODP and I had to sit through a GDA sales pitch every time she trained. Those sales pitches included all of the bait and switch promises I detailed in my OP (number of practices per week, practice to game ratio, etc). None of the things they promised are close to what the printed material that I received as an email says. So I think I am qualified to say yes, they ran a high pressure sales pitch on ODP families all year. What felt like the most egregious to me was the persistent theme of "you must do GDA to get to the next level." I am an adult and very capable of handling a sales pitch. I've shopped for used cars and I know when I'm being played. My child is 14 and does not. And the coaches she trusted made her feel like her entire soccer future was in jeopardy if she didn't join academy. This is reprehensible in my opinion. You expect TA clubs to happily turn over their best players and you thank them by telling your captive audience those TA clubs are ruining the girls' soccer futures. All to form a team that, if you're really really lucky, maybe, just maybe, will send one kid to a national camp. Absolutely shameful.
Old 05-23-2017
Unregistered

Quote:
OP here. I know about the promises because my daughter did ODP and I had to sit through a GDA sales pitch every time she trained. Those sales pitches included all of the bait and switch promises I detailed in my OP (number of practices per week, practice to game ratio, etc). None of the things they promised are close to what the printed material that I received as an email says. So I think I am qualified to say yes, they ran a high pressure sales pitch on ODP families all year. What felt like the most egregious to me was the persistent theme of "you must do GDA to get to the next level." I am an adult and very capable of handling a sales pitch. I've shopped for used cars and I know when I'm being played. My child is 14 and does not. And the coaches she trusted made her feel like her entire soccer future was in jeopardy if she didn't join academy. This is reprehensible in my opinion. You expect TA clubs to happily turn over their best players and you thank them by telling your captive audience those TA clubs are ruining the girls' soccer futures. All to form a team that, if you're really really lucky, maybe, just maybe, will send one kid to a national camp. Absolutely shameful.
Good conversation points. During the long winded ODP/GDA sales pitched I looked at one of my DDs in attendance and she gave me the 'smirk' look. In others words, she wasn't biting off what was being fed robotically. I think most of our girls understand while its nice to think they'll be rooming with Tobin Heath on road trips all over the globe, they know that in reality those things won't happen. The script is just a script, many of which they'll get to see as they apply to colleges and jobs and get to decipher the real from the chaff one process at a time.
Old 05-23-2017
Unregistered

Quote:
Good conversation points. During the long winded ODP/GDA sales pitched I looked at one of my DDs in attendance and she gave me the 'smirk' look. In others words, she wasn't biting off what was being fed robotically. I think most of our girls understand while its nice to think they'll be rooming with Tobin Heath on road trips all over the globe, they know that in reality those things won't happen. The script is just a script, many of which they'll get to see as they apply to colleges and jobs and get to decipher the real from the chaff one process at a time.
To each his own. A lot of girls see this as an exciting new adventure 🙂
Old 05-23-2017
Unregistered

Default In other words...

Quote:
Your DD was cut! Sorry!
I hope she finds a team that fits her needs and ability.
Old 05-23-2017
Unregistered

Quote:
Your DD was cut! Sorry!
I hope she finds a team that fits her needs and ability.
Wrong. She actually did try out last year and was offered a spot on the 01/02 team but turned it down. She did not try out this year. But keep dismissing valid concerns about the program you support. It makes you look really stupid and we all enjoy the laugh.
Old 05-23-2017
Unregistered

Quote:
The snaky thorns people that go around and try to fool people makes them almost as bad as the Ecnl nut jobs