Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    That player and I still have a great relationship.

She respects my decision that night and she now admits she was putting herself before the team. She is a fine young woman now with kids of her own starting soccer.

Life is full of lessons. Tell us, what would you have done in the same situation?
    I actually like how you handled it coach, well done. The OP likely would have called the AD and b1tched if it was his daughter. Great lesson!

Comment

I actually like how you handled it coach, well done. The OP likely would have called the AD and b1tched if it was his daughter. Great lesson!
      I agree! If my kid was a disrespectful little $h*+ like that to the coach, and he/she did this, I would tell her she got exactly what she deserved. Don't expect your coach (or anyone for that matter) to respect you if you do not show them the respect they deserve!

Comment

Except you don't get to choose who you play in your last regular season home game. The league makes up the schedule and decides who plays who.

I suppose you could "move" your Senior Night game to another game that allows you for an easy win. But what if that winnable game is like a game that is still in early October and you have an additional 3 home games against strong opponents?
        We don't do ours on the last game. Problem solved.

Comment

You’re a loser.
          No, that's what a coach should do. Bad attitude = no pt. Not enough coaches are willing to bench players these days - they either are more worried about winning to keep their jobs, or worried about the PITA parents who will go complain to the AD.

Comment

I had a player once who I attempted to put into the game in the first half with about 5 minutes left. A sub on the bench who was also a senior. I was trying to give a long halftime rest to another player who had really worked out there for the entire half. When I called her to come up, she looked at the clock and asked me, "What's the point?". I told her to return to the bench.

With about 15 minutes left in the game, she approached me as asked me if I was going to put her in the game. I asked her, "What's the point?".

Life lesson for her. Never had an issue with her again about playing time. And she did play in her Senior Night game.
            You put the player in with 5 minutes to go, expect her to work her ass off, and you demand respect? You would like a coach with a big ego.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2360405]The reason coaches are being jumped these days is because of the culture...what it has become. When I was a kid, to play a full season of baseball it cost my parents $17 plus an additional $10 for one uniform we wore. Our coach was a parent, not paid, and we respected him, and never challenged him or hesitated when he said run or slide.

In contrast, parents today are being told the reason they're having to pay $2k a season for kickball is because of coaching fees and misc. But it doesn't end there. Mega DA and ECNL clubs have their uniform contracts, every 2 years were dumping $500 on 5 different shirts, 2 different shorts, 3 different socks. Then there's the tournament fees, coach's travel fees, and your travel, hotel expenses. At the end of a soccer season you're looking at almost $4k in expenses...and you suddenly realize your league is poaching kids from California to take your kid's position at ECNL nationals.

This is what we have these days. And when coaches, leagues don't deliver, parents get angry.[/QUOTE

Agree 100%. When parents are spending that kind of money they have right to ask questions and demand quality. If coaches can’t handle that coach rec soccer and do something else. As a premier coach it comes with territory.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2360792]
                The reason coaches are being jumped these days is because of the culture...what it has become. When I was a kid, to play a full season of baseball it cost my parents $17 plus an additional $10 for one uniform we wore. Our coach was a parent, not paid, and we respected him, and never challenged him or hesitated when he said run or slide.

In contrast, parents today are being told the reason they're having to pay $2k a season for kickball is because of coaching fees and misc. But it doesn't end there. Mega DA and ECNL clubs have their uniform contracts, every 2 years were dumping $500 on 5 different shirts, 2 different shorts, 3 different socks. Then there's the tournament fees, coach's travel fees, and your travel, hotel expenses. At the end of a soccer season you're looking at almost $4k in expenses...and you suddenly realize your league is poaching kids from California to take your kid's position at ECNL nationals.

This is what we have these days. And when coaches, leagues don't deliver, parents get angry.[/QUOTE

Agree 100%. When parents are spending that kind of money they have right to ask questions and demand quality. If coaches can’t handle that coach rec soccer and do something else. As a premier coach it comes with territory.

Dude what are you like 85?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2360817]

Dude what are you like 85?
                  Uniforms were $10... A gallon of gas was 75 cents, there was no new fangled interweb and a cup of coffee was only a nickel! The good old days of yesteryear.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2360792]
                    The reason coaches are being jumped these days is because of the culture...what it has become. When I was a kid, to play a full season of baseball it cost my parents $17 plus an additional $10 for one uniform we wore. Our coach was a parent, not paid, and we respected him, and never challenged him or hesitated when he said run or slide.

You actually hit the nail on the head. This has turned into a business, and like any other business, consumers expect a good product. Respect my arse.

Comment

Have you ever coached at a Class M or Class S school?

Who do you let go when your total number that comes to tryouts is less than 40 and you have to support both a full varsity and JV program?

It's like poker, you have to play the hand dealt you every time.
                      To some extent yes, but a good high school coach at an S or M school can make his hand stronger by volunteering to coach the 7/8th grade travel teams in his town and by encouraging his players to play in the Spring , but so many HS coaches are too lazy to do this.

Comment

To some extent yes, but a good high school coach at an S or M school can make his hand stronger by volunteering to coach the 7/8th grade travel teams in his town and by encouraging his players to play in the Spring , but so many HS coaches are too lazy to do this.
                        Like there's talent on a town travel team in 8th grade?

Comment

Yeah, a coach who makes 7,000 a season on top of likely working a full time job is going to volunteer to coach and take up more of whatever down time she/he has left. Get a grip dude.

Comment

Yeah, a coach who makes 7,000 a season on top of likely working a full time job is going to volunteer to coach and take up more of whatever down time she/he has left. Get a grip dude.
                            Our HS coaches coach travel. Have for years and they don't just coach the 8th graders. They get paid for it (our town pays coaches and just has volunteer managers). They also both coach club teams. We're a smaller town so the HS teams need a group of solid town players/athletes to support the club players we do have. We do decently well in conference and states

Comment

people dont respect one another, the environment, vets, or the president. Why would we expect they respect coaches?

Comment

This is how coaches lose credibility.
                                A coach can fool his club. A coach can fool the parents. A coach can not fool the players. If a coach continues to play players that can not perform, he will loose the team. The players will not respect or trust him. At that point it is time for the coach or the players to move on.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X