X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Your theory needs a little more work.

In the US all the male studs go to the other sports. Soccer gets what's left. Kids who aren't muscular enough to play football or tall enough to play basketball or have the hand/eye to play baseball.

Think of the playground. The other sports chose their teams and head off to play. Then, the short and weak kids are left and they head to the soccer field.

I am exaggerating a bit, but not a lot.
    You are such a simpleton.

The previous poster explained the physical differences between types of athletes and sports. Basketball players and vast majority of football players would never meet the physical requirements necessary for top flight soccer. Big does not equal athletic ability. It just means you are big. It doesn’t mean you are fast and quick enough, coordinated (feet are not hands), or have the physcal conditioning to maintain the prior requirements. Not to mention intelligence and creativity whereas that doesnt exist in sports like football amd baseball.

Comment

In the US all the male studs go to the other sports. Soccer gets what's left. Kids who aren't muscular enough to play football or tall enough to play basketball or have the hand/eye to play baseball.

Think of the playground. The other sports chose their teams and head off to play. Then, the short and weak kids are left and they head to the soccer field.

Yep. Soccer gets the left overs. Too hard to change the culture in the US.

Comment

Is this why the USMNT didn’t qualify for World Cup play?

Comment

Yep. Soccer gets the left overs. Too hard to change the culture in the US.
          On the men’s side, our best athletes mostly choose other sports. On the women’s side, many of our best athletes choose soccer.

Comment

Lets do a little research.

The athletic characteristics of a male soccer player on average is 5'11" 169. Based on the below I don't think many football, basketball players or baseball players are going to be elite soccer players

Ave MLS soccer player 5'11" 169 lbs
            Ave NBA BBall player 6'7" 222 lbs
            Ave NFL Fball player 6'2" 246 lbs
            Ave MLB BaseB player 6'1' 208 lbs

The average height of a NCAA D1 women's basketball player ranges between 5'8" to 6'0" The 2011 US Women's soccer team had five forwards ranging from 5'11" to 5'4"

I would argue at the elite level in the US and around the world soccer is attacking the best male athletes because the diverse psychical requirements based on each sport.

I would say for women the height and weight of those athletes participating in sports that require cardio are very similar and the sports lose top athletes to each other all the time.

What separates the competitiveness of men and women athletes around the world in participation. Fewer countries support and encourage female athletic competition then male. I am happy I live in country who supports and encourages female athletes.
            A college level cornerback or safety would be an incredible soccer physique. Not to mention pro level DB's. Christiano Renaldo 6'2 190 pounds is similar in size to a top level defensive back. CR's size and speed / strength make him a handful. Guess what, we have alot of those type guys playing football. If our best played soccer our men would be like our girls. Very, Very Competitive..... They dont and we are not.

I would love to see a Richard Sherman type athlete with attitude and swag in a soccer uniform for USA though. That would be fun.

Comment

A college level cornerback or safety would be an incredible soccer physique. Not to mention pro level DB's. Christiano Renaldo 6'2 190 pounds is similar in size to a top level defensive back. CR's size and speed / strength make him a handful. Guess what, we have alot of those type guys playing football. If our best played soccer our men would be like our girls. Very, Very Competitive..... They dont and we are not.

I would love to see a Richard Sherman type athlete with attitude and swag in a soccer uniform for USA though. That would be fun.
              Again.

The problem is that we don't have good athletes playing soccer. We do. The USMNT isn't a bunch of slow fat slugs.

The problem is that we don't produce, compared to the rest of the world, good soccer players.

It's not the size, or speed, or strenght, or stamina, or reflexes that are lacking. It's our touch, our tactics, our technique.

Usain Bolt has been attracting attention for his soccer career. And he's succeeding--for lower division clubs. I can guarantee you that EPL or La Liga clubs aren't going to sign him--he may be fast, but he's not a world class soccer player. He's good enough to play lower division, it appears--but so are a lot of guys.

Comment

Again.

The problem is that we don't have good athletes playing soccer. We do. The USMNT isn't a bunch of slow fat slugs.

The problem is that we don't produce, compared to the rest of the world, good soccer players.

It's not the size, or speed, or strenght, or stamina, or reflexes that are lacking. It's our touch, our tactics, our technique.

Usain Bolt has been attracting attention for his soccer career. And he's succeeding--for lower division clubs. I can guarantee you that EPL or La Liga clubs aren't going to sign him--he may be fast, but he's not a world class soccer player. He's good enough to play lower division, it appears--but so are a lot of guys.
                I don't think anyone is saying the Bolt is good enough to play at the EPL or La Liga level now. He is 32 years old and has been focused on track since high school.

The point is what type of soccer player would Bolt have been if he would have focused on soccer instead of track.

That is the point that people are making. Our best male athletes in the US are not choosing soccer. From a genetics standpoint soccer in the US is not getting the top athletes. Of course these guys will still need to be trained and put in a lot of time to reach their potential as soccer players.

We do have good athletes playing soccer. Most of our best athletes are choosing other sports. Again just look at sports coverage. Soccer is getting better, but it is sill way behind other sports. I haven't seen too many families watching men's college soccer on Saturdays during the fall. How about March Madness in the Spring.

Comment

Again.

Usonian bolt is playing in a leagule lower than the NASL. He is a terrific athelet and past his prime. Bolt will make an interesting splash and dissapear like MJ did when he tried playing baseball.

The problem is not a lack of atheletes. The problem is with how poorly we develop players. Coaching is not good enough in America.

Comment

I don't think anyone is saying the Bolt is good enough to play at the EPL or La Liga level now. He is 32 years old and has been focused on track since high school.

The point is what type of soccer player would Bolt have been if he would have focused on soccer instead of track.
                    Don't know. He might have been great, he might not have been.

That is the point that people are making. Our best male athletes in the US are not choosing soccer. From a genetics standpoint soccer in the US is not getting the top athletes. Of course these guys will still need to be trained and put in a lot of time to reach their potential as soccer players.
                    You say this, again and again, but you can't prove it. You seem to define "good athlete" not according to any objective criteria that can be measured in a combine, but as a tautology--the "best athletes" are guys like LeBron or Curry or OBJ or Brady who dominate their respective sports, and since no American male dominates soccer (globally), none of them must be "good athletes". The problem with tautological definitions is that they are useless. If LeBron had chosen soccer--he would have run into the same problems that everyone who does choose the sport in this country runs into: an expensive club scene, having to pay lots of money to access decent coaches and opponents, and a culture that, by large measure, doesn't fully get the game. Practically everyone where he grew up in Akron, OH knows hoops, and learned it in the streets. He didn't have to sign up for basketball in order to start learning the basics about of the game.

I haven't seen too many families watching men's college soccer on Saturdays during the fall. How about March Madness in the Spring.
                    And nobody watches the College World Series or NCAA hockey either, but we do fine at those.

Your comment is part of the cultural misunderstanding--college soccer doesn't matter, at least not for men. The best players go straight to the pros out of high school, or even before. Just like the best baseball players head straight to the minors out of high school and throw the fvcking metal bats away, and the best hockey players are already playing semi-professionally in the WHL or the other Memorial Cup leagues. There is no mandatory indentured servitude in the NCAA for these sports. If families are watching soccer on Saturdays, it's either waking up early to catch European games, or MLS in the afternoon. Watching NCAA soccer is like watching Serie C. Except not as good.

Comment

On the men’s side, our best athletes mostly choose other sports. On the women’s side, many of our best athletes choose soccer.
                      In all seriousness most USA women's team sports don't have an ask, to be, or even much of a payoff for being a 'great athlete'. Yes girls sports like softball, volleyball & gynmastics have a much higher need for skills than athletes. Basketball has some stud athletes for sure but height rules the day with b ball shooting skills.

LAX (Field Hockey too) and Women's Soccer fill the void of not having Men's American football for girls.

Doesn't mean were are any good or tactically refined at playing the sport of LAX or Soccer in the USA. But strong female athletes vs lessor athletes in these activities highlights the huge athletic divide evident in the female gender.o. The strong female athletes in LAX or Soccer have built in advantage for just being athletic and it's glaring to watch.

On the other hand there are hundreds of millions of athletic men on planet earth, not as many athletic girls, due to biological gender differences, so athleticism isn't enough for Men, they instead must have some skill in sports like soccer to be relevant. Girls can go much further in soccer just on athleticism see USA women for validity.

USA has many great male and female athletes and with no such thing as Girl's American Football to draw the best athletes. They have to fall someplace and Soccer in the states is a sport of choice that doesn't require the skill of basketball, softball or volleyball.

It's shows up on the pitch vs the rest of the world who rely on technical ability and tactics and most neophyte female national sides can't match the pace, power, endurance of the the american female athlete. Making it like shooting fish in barrel for the yanks, until a Soccer loving country with coaching, culture driven tactics and skill faces the athletic strong American girls/women, then the game gets tough for our female gladiators. Who are exposed by higher level tactics, coaching and skill. But to your point better female athletes vs lessor female athletes with more skill, still favors the superior athlete on most occasions. Strange brew but it is what it is. The gap is closing and we have small minded business folks selling parents on to pay to travel junkets with promises of exposure to colleges, while the rest of world focuses on getting better at the game.

I hope the states keeps flying and does not look down at what the rest of the world is doing to get better.

Comment

Again.

I hear what you are saying and flatly deny it. Soccer has in past and continues to get the athletes that by and large didn't make it in other sports. It hurts to hear this i am sure, but you must accept the facts. When our best athletes start playing soccer over football we will begin to get better on the world stage. It will happen, football numbers are down and parents are already turning toward soccer at the youth ages. Yes Usain Bolt would have been a great Soccer player had he went that way. Geez come on

Comment

I hear what you are saying and flatly deny it. Soccer has in past and continues to get the athletes that by and large didn't make it in other sports. It hurts to hear this i am sure, but you must accept the facts. When our best athletes start playing soccer over football we will begin to get better on the world stage. It will happen, football numbers are down and parents are already turning toward soccer at the youth ages. Yes Usain Bolt would have been a great Soccer player had he went that way. Geez come on
                          Some people have a hard time accepting the truth.

Comment

Northwest Pac12 Soccer

🙈 🙊 🙉

Comment

You’re a couple decades behind fool.

Comment

You’re a couple decades behind fool.
                                Funny, you mean a couple decades ago when our men's team actually competed well?

Soccer is only now starting to get tier 1 athletes at youth level. We will compete well in 8 years.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X