•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FSPL Changes Coming

https://usys-assets.ae-admin.com/ass...e%20Update.pdf

Step forward???

Yes, absolutely. It's more inclusive and enticing to good teams that can't compete with the top 5 teams in the state.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Yes, absolutely. It's more inclusive and enticing to good teams that can't compete with the top 5 teams in the state.
      Apparently the one teams worth playing against/for are the DA teams.

Comment

Will those dates conflict with major showcases? FYSA trying new ideas since that Organization is always doing **** @$$backwards!!!

Comment

A "Showcase" now? Sure, why not.

Comment

Timing is everything. Would be nice to know which teams would be selected prior to having the players commit to a team.

Comment

Even I have to admit this seems like a step in the right direction. Having FSPL act as a ticket to the new Sunshine Conference was a great move! Look at you making smart choices FYSA!

Comment

And they didn't step on Disney's showcase dates! They are learning.

Comment

It sounds good.

But, my kid's team made the State Cup round of 16 this year and sounds like they are not guaranteed a spot in this. They just had tryouts and represented as playing in the FSPL next year. Now it doesn't sound like that is guaranteed. Some of the big name clubs were knocked out in the first and second rounds, but played in FSPL last year. I wonder if they will have the edge over our club.

Comment

It sounds good.

But, my kid's team made the State Cup round of 16 this year and sounds like they are not guaranteed a spot in this. They just had tryouts and represented as playing in the FSPL next year. Now it doesn't sound like that is guaranteed. Some of the big name clubs were knocked out in the first and second rounds, but played in FSPL last year. I wonder if they will have the edge over our club.
                    Definitely will tighten the at-large pool, if there is any at all. If all round of 16 teams plus previous fspl teams apply, it will be interesting to see their selection process. Some teams made round of 16 via weaker brackets. Will they be penalized when choosing spots?

Comment

Well played. Much needed.

Comment

Much better system overall..

- People have been asking for a merit type promotion and this will reward teams that perform well.

- You should see more competitive matches. Nothing like seeing teams in a league win 5-0 or lose by that amount. You generally want games to finish within a goal or 2.

- It should also make the league stronger with those next tier teams (outside of DA and ECNL) wanting to participate. I think last years "pass" by many teams forced these changes. Kudos to the teams who said no for the better this league.

- The lower number of games should allow these teams more options to participate in showcase events.

This has been a much-needed change. For the next level group of teams who do want good competition, consistent competition.

Comment

A great thing. Clubs need to quit playing the league game suggesting ECNL, FPL and FSPL is any different or ranking them. Th equality of play is the same. No better or worse. Look at State Cup results.

Comment

Work to do

Much better system overall..

- People have been asking for a merit type promotion and this will reward teams that perform well.

- You should see more competitive matches. Nothing like seeing teams in a league win 5-0 or lose by that amount. You generally want games to finish within a goal or 2.

- It should also make the league stronger with those next tier teams (outside of DA and ECNL) wanting to participate. I think last years "pass" by many teams forced these changes. Kudos to the teams who said no for the better this league.

- The lower number of games should allow these teams more options to participate in showcase events.

This has been a much-needed change. For the next level group of teams who do want good competition, consistent competition.

Unfortunately this will be a 3rd/4th level team league. You have many clubs that will still put their teams in NPL/FPL. As for the lower number of games, parents usually complain if there aren't enough so it might lead to a lot of teams trying to play in another league. I do like the idea, lets hope the clubs push it.

Comment

Unfortunately this will be a 3rd/4th level team league. You have many clubs that will still put their teams in NPL/FPL. As for the lower number of games, parents usually complain if there aren't enough so it might lead to a lot of teams trying to play in another league. I do like the idea, lets hope the clubs push it.
                              As father of a U19B who has, in the past, played SRPL, FSPL and NPL, I am going to disagree with you here. For at least the Premier FSPL, this should be where the top, non-DA teams go for these reasons:
                              *Club-based leagues are rife with imbalances. A league that has relegation and promotion should bring the top teams into competition. Currently, EVERY league has 3-4 top teams that compete for the title and the remainder of the teams get blown out and end the season with horribly negative goal differential. Getting their ass handed to them regularly does not serve the players well from those teams at the bottom of the table.

*Paring down the number of teams in the league lowers the number of games and the stresses of travel. It should also put the top teams into more competitive groups. In the past, FSPL taking ALL round of 16 teams into the league meant that marginal teams that got a fortunate draw in State Cup could qualify, only to get decimated in competition the following year. Additionally, the 1-3 teams that advanced to National League or SRPL would create vacancies that were filled with teams that got knocked out in round 2! I always thought it would have been better to just have 13 or 14 in the league rather than subjectively promote a substandard team into the competitive mix. A league of the final 8 made more sense, but then FYSA couldn't make as much money.

*For ANY team over U15, a regional or national league model is deficient. Players need to focus on development and then showcases to display their talent. Wasting money to travel all over the SE where no college coaches come to watch is a colossal waste of money. Forget ENCL, it is no different. The "top talent" is not necessarily there any more than it was in SRPL in the past. There were some pretty mediocre teams in SRPL and horrible teams in boy's ECNL this year.

This, of course, assumes rational decision making. Clubs will still market themselves as offering ECNL as the "best competitive league" and suckers may very well flock to it like moths to a porch light on a summer evening. But, it is all an illusion.
                              Last edited by I put my name on it; 05-15-2018, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X