Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many players left solid 2nd teams for so called ‘Elite’ Teams?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    True confessions...we did it and it turned out to be a disaster. She was in HS and we were concerned she wasn't going to get "looks" with the 2nd team. She never clicked with the new team and it went downhill from there.

Lesson learned...If she likes the team she's with stay there...
    More truth. Kid left strong 2nd team to try out for higher level teams elsewhere. Now screwed as old team's roster is full and kid hasn't received an offer for the targeted teams, just lower level teams. It was a gamble that didn't pay off... as others have said, grass isn't always greener.

Comment

Only move if you're reasonably certain your kid will be a starter. After that it may not be worth it unless your next best option sucks. If it's good and your kid is happy, stay put.

Comment

We couldn't get our player to attend any tryouts other than present club. Issue is child does not want to leave the bonding that is taking place. We are fortunate that development is happening. We can not see our kid wanting to move to another club & essentially have to start over making friends. Focus at this stage is social & not fundamental. Clubs certainly rely on this issue to try & keep players in club.
        That happens, even more so with girls. But with a constantly changing landscape it is good to at least be aware of other options in case you need to bail. That well bonded team could break up next year. Or you get a terrible coach, club starts to fall apart etc. It happens all the time.

Comment

True confessions...we did it and it turned out to be a disaster. She was in HS and we were concerned she wasn't going to get "looks" with the 2nd team. She never clicked with the new team and it went downhill from there.

Lesson learned...If she likes the team she's with stay there...
          A few years ago one of mine was invited to tryouts/practices at an top A team. Skill wise they fine right in, maybe not always a starter but definitely not a bench warmer. But they got a very negative vibe from the other players; very unfriendly to my kid (who slides right in to any social situation), snippy with each other. Despite getting an offer my player decided to stay put. Next year that team was a sh*t show. Glad my kid trusted their gut instinct.

Comment

A few years ago one of mine was invited to tryouts/practices at an top A team. Skill wise they fine right in, maybe not always a starter but definitely not a bench warmer. But they got a very negative vibe from the other players; very unfriendly to my kid (who slides right in to any social situation), snippy with each other. Despite getting an offer my player decided to stay put. Next year that team was a sh*t show. Glad my kid trusted their gut instinct.
            ^^^These posts are my favorite...kid got the offer to the top team, but didn't accept

Comment

Let us know when he’s playing up 2, 3 or 4 yrs.
              1 yr is nothing, yet it’s treated like the answer
              Playing up wasn't an intentional choice. It's something that happened, and happens to be working out. (Long story.)

It's not something I recommend as a strategy.

As I said in my prior post; look for fun, growth, development and a great coach/kids/parents.

Find all that, and the club or A/B team doesn't matter.

Comment

^^^These posts are my favorite...kid got the offer to the top team, but didn't accept
                They might have if 1) if starting was certain (it wasn't; sitting does no one any good) 2) wasn't happy with their current team (they were, great teammates and coach) 3) liked the future teammates (did not). Still got recruited to a good academic midlevel D1 program with a good package and is playing every game. Top teams aren't always the be all end all. Sorry to crush your narrative.

Comment

Parents choose to leave for so many reasons and many times don't actulaly care what their children think. If you leave a B team to go to an A team it should be to play at a higher level and not just to be on an A team. Parents will move players so they can say they are on an A team and yet play in a lower division.

If your child is happy, developing and challenged, looking will confuse kids and have a negative impact as many times they enjoy where they are playing. If your child is playing at a level that does not feel right and they are not challenged then looking makes sense. That being said their may be options at your existing club to get that challenge. Training will an A team, NPL or ECL team or an older age group.

Club hopping is now so common and to me doesn't help players develop. Having some consistency will help players, having a new coach each year won't. At some point they may have to move to get the level they need but some of these players change each year and never get comfortable with a group.

Comment

Parents choose to leave for so many reasons and many times don't actulaly care what their children think. If you leave a B team to go to an A team it should be to play at a higher level and not just to be on an A team. Parents will move players so they can say they are on an A team and yet play in a lower division.

If your child is happy, developing and challenged, looking will confuse kids and have a negative impact as many times they enjoy where they are playing. If your child is playing at a level that does not feel right and they are not challenged then looking makes sense. That being said their may be options at your existing club to get that challenge. Training will an A team, NPL or ECL team or an older age group.

Club hopping is now so common and to me doesn't help players develop. Having some consistency will help players, having a new coach each year won't. At some point they may have to move to get the level they need but some of these players change each year and never get comfortable with a group.
                    Might it be wise to benefit from all the coaches within a club & not just one year to year, or even week to week? We certainly can understand the continuity that one coach brings. However, our players club floats coaches within practices & many times at games. We certainly prefer some coaches over others & are glad that our player gets to benefit from almost all of clubs coaches.

Comment

We have done both...left solid 2nd teams for top teams, and left top teams for so called 2nd teams. In both situations it was the right move. In the case of leaving a 2nd team for a top team, my kid went from being a top 3 player on the 2nd team to somewhere in the middle on the top team, which was better for development. In the case of leaving top team for so called 2nd team, the 2nd team didn't have the name/moniker associated with it, but it was in every way as good as the top team on the field, and was just a better overall situation for my kid. Sometimes labels don't mean much.

Comment

We have done both...left solid 2nd teams for top teams, and left top teams for so called 2nd teams. In both situations it was the right move. In the case of leaving a 2nd team for a top team, my kid went from being a top 3 player on the 2nd team to somewhere in the middle on the top team, which was better for development. In the case of leaving top team for so called 2nd team, the 2nd team didn't have the name/moniker associated with it, but it was in every way as good as the top team on the field, and was just a better overall situation for my kid. Sometimes labels don't mean much.
                        The current obsession with "top team" is truly nutty! Similar to your situation, my oldest (now playing in college) got bumped from the top team when she was about 13 (ridiculous growth spurt made her clumsy, awkward and insecure). She took a roster spot on the B team for a few years, worked out the kinks, switched positions and became a powerhouse player. Summer going into Junior year, she was "recruited" by one of the strongest clubs in our area for their "top team"-some of the players knew her from having played against her in HS games. She had an amazing experience with this team, committed to one of her top choice schools and when she signed her NLI, she had her school coach and AD, her old B team coach and her (then) current coach of the strong club A team.

When the community sports reporter asked her for a quote to accompany her photo, she stated-"the most important thing I can share with other athletes is-the only shame in having flaws is a reluctance to improve upon them. Not only in sports, but in life, sometimes you have to take a step back in order to take a step forward!"

She's currently a starter on her college team...

Comment

The current obsession with "top team" is truly nutty! Similar to your situation, my oldest (now playing in college) got bumped from the top team when she was about 13 (ridiculous growth spurt made her clumsy, awkward and insecure). She took a roster spot on the B team for a few years, worked out the kinks, switched positions and became a powerhouse player. Summer going into Junior year, she was "recruited" by one of the strongest clubs in our area for their "top team"-some of the players knew her from having played against her in HS games. She had an amazing experience with this team, committed to one of her top choice schools and when she signed her NLI, she had her school coach and AD, her old B team coach and her (then) current coach of the strong club A team.

When the community sports reporter asked her for a quote to accompany her photo, she stated-"the most important thing I can share with other athletes is-the only shame in having flaws is a reluctance to improve upon them. Not only in sports, but in life, sometimes you have to take a step back in order to take a step forward!"

If only more kids and parents had that mentality.

Comment

And that's another thing, players develop at different rates and also grow physically at different rates. I have seen the best players level out and have seen kids who weren't all that great suddenly get very good in a short amount of time. Sometimes perseverance and keeping at it is key for those that aren't stars.

Comment

And that's another thing, players develop at different rates and also grow physically at different rates. I have seen the best players level out and have seen kids who weren't all that great suddenly get very good in a short amount of time. Sometimes perseverance and keeping at it is key for those that aren't stars.
                              They all grow and change at different rates physically and emotionally. If every 13 year old stud stayed that way NT call ups would stay the same. Yes many stay studs, but some fade away while others emerge. Inner drive to improve and push one's self takes on a greater importance as they get older.

Comment

These “little engine” stories are uplifting and exactly the message we should be delivering to our children. With a few occaissional outliers noted, they are indeed outliers. Reality of what I have seen with 2 daughters through the process is that it is far more common to see girls fall off than rise up.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X