Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    you are showing your age. this may have been the case 20-30 years ago, when we were young, but many standouts in basketball, baseball and to a lesser degree tackle football are middle class and have resources to participate in travel ball. basketball is all AAU and all about $$ from middle school on. this broke kid from the hood narrative from 20-30 years ago is not reality for most youngsters in 2019.
    Doesn't surprise me that basketball is going down the same route as soccer and baseball where being able to afford to play becomes the first hurdle a kid must make. A tipping point has to take place at some point when people wake up. That is probably why movies like The Sandlot is popular because it reminds us of better times.

Comment

Doesn't surprise me that basketball is going down the same route as soccer and baseball where being able to afford to play becomes the first hurdle a kid must make. A tipping point has to take place at some point when people wake up. That is probably why movies like The Sandlot is popular because it reminds us of better times.
      At least many HS sports still give kids a chance to get noticed. Soccer rarely does any longer - you pretty much have to be in some kind of club format to get in front of college coaches. My D's BFF kicked azz in HS track freshman and sophomore year (had never been in a track program, just played soccer and basketball casually) and had college coaches fawning over her. She's going to a great school/program up north and paying less than her instate would have been.

Comment

I think the level of technical, skilled moves you need to do at a very young age in soccer is different than most other sports to be really good. Football you just have to throw and catch. Baseball the same. Basketball just catch and shoot. And all are done with your hands which are sports that are easier at younger ages because we learn to use our hands much more than our legs when we are little.

Boys also gravitate to many different sports, soccer, basketball, football, baseball, hockey, now lacrosse so the population playing is not as much nor as many ture athetes because they play other favored sports. I think girls, in my opinion and I may bey very wrong, gravitate to soccer as one of the more favored sports. In addition to the USWNT success, better female athletes chose soccer. So I can see why our womens teams performs better.

Comment

I think the level of technical, skilled moves you need to do at a very young age in soccer is different than most other sports to be really good. Football you just have to throw and catch. Baseball the same. Basketball just catch and shoot. And all are done with your hands which are sports that are easier at younger ages because we learn to use our hands much more than our legs when we are little.

Boys also gravitate to many different sports, soccer, basketball, football, baseball, hockey, now lacrosse so the population playing is not as much nor as many ture athetes because they play other favored sports. I think girls, in my opinion and I may bey very wrong, gravitate to soccer as one of the more favored sports. In addition to the USWNT success, better female athletes chose soccer. So I can see why our womens teams performs better.
          again, the assumption is your reasoning is that the best athletes in a population, if they played soccer, would make better overall soccer players. but if you look at other countries, their best athletes are not playing soccer either. i would think the best british athletes are competing in the decathlon or the 100 meters; its not wayne rooney, right? nor is leo messi the best athlete in argentina, or CR7 the best athlete in portugal (well he may be). the point is, this argument relies on a false premise.

Comment

again, the assumption is your reasoning is that the best athletes in a population, if they played soccer, would make better overall soccer players. but if you look at other countries, their best athletes are not playing soccer either. i would think the best british athletes are competing in the decathlon or the 100 meters; its not wayne rooney, right? nor is leo messi the best athlete in argentina, or CR7 the best athlete in portugal (well he may be). the point is, this argument relies on a false premise.
            I think using the definition of best athlete is the wrong way to look at it. People usually pick sports where their personal athletic characteristics can benefit them the most. Also national or ethnic culture influences what sports people choose.

Comment

The problem with US men's soccer is the scouting process and competition level.

Instead of choosing 200 or 300 players to watch from each state like they do, only pick out 2 or 3 of the very best. Most of our states are the size of each European country. Cull the "might be's", and bring on the best of the best only! Put them together and then have them compete against the highest level of competition available in the country. We all know they will never get better competing against the same level of competition. Instead of our 15 year old boys playing the USWNT, they should be competing against Portland or LA out of MLS. Then send them out to other countries to play friendlies against the top foreign teams in the world, not Trinidad Tebogo. There are millions of soccer players in our country, but there are only 25 gems that need to play at the highest level. Quit wasting time with Timmy and friends ($$$) when everyone knows Billy and his boys are the only gems worth developing!

Comment

There are many sports where specific physical traits lean toward being advantage in that sport. Tall athletes tend to get "guided" toward basketball or volleyball. Speedy athletes toward track or football.

Those sport also tend to be more seasonal than soccer too for kids where soccer has somehow turned into a year round endeavor fairly early with summer camps, 3v3 tourneys etc.

Comment

The Women soccer have good soccer IQ, ball awareness, touch, etc. The men soccer seems they are light years away.

GDA and BDA working?
                  Mens soccer brings in the Revenue.So while you Women can eat McDonald's & Drive Kias the Men can eat at high end restaurants & Drive Bentleys. At the end of the day that's all that matters.Enjoy being Disrespectful to Anthem Flag & the American people.

Comment

Mens soccer brings in the Revenue.So while you Women can eat McDonald's & Drive Kias the Men can eat at high end restaurants & Drive Bentleys. At the end of the day that's all that matters.Enjoy being Disrespectful to Anthem Flag & the American people.
                    Sad, but for many Americans true. Unfortunately many Americans like the above poster see money and income as being the only things of value. The only things that be disrespected are the things they care about. This poster is the kind of person who wails at the fact that someone refuses to stand for the anthem and then calls gay people "fags" and black people "niggers". Too many people in our country are unable to see past their noses and can only see into their own pocketbooks are consider only their own feelings. It isn't surprising that so many these people can't see facts. And the facts are the men suck and the women's teams are champions time and again.

Comment

The 2018 men's WC had a total of 3.5 Billion for at least a portion of the games. The women's WC had 750 Million in 2015.

Comment

The problem with US men's soccer is the scouting process and competition level.

Instead of choosing 200 or 300 players to watch from each state like they do, only pick out 2 or 3 of the very best. Most of our states are the size of each European country. Cull the "might be's", and bring on the best of the best only! Put them together and then have them compete against the highest level of competition available in the country. We all know they will never get better competing against the same level of competition. Instead of our 15 year old boys playing the USWNT, they should be competing against Portland or LA out of MLS. Then send them out to other countries to play friendlies against the top foreign teams in the world, not Trinidad Tebogo. There are millions of soccer players in our country, but there are only 25 gems that need to play at the highest level. Quit wasting time with Timmy and friends ($$$) when everyone knows Billy and his boys are the only gems worth developing!
                        i hear ya but how do you know who is timmy and who is billy. with boys it is extremely hard, since so many develop late.

Comment

The 2018 men's WC had a total of 3.5 Billion for at least a portion of the games. The women's WC had 750 Million in 2015.
                          Yet they disrespect the flag & still want same pay as the Men. It's all about Revenue ,so going of the Feminists theory, Jenators should be paid same as Doctors as like a burger flipper should get the same pay as a Attorney.

Comment

Yet they disrespect the flag & still want same pay as the Men. It's all about Revenue ,so going of the Feminists theory, Jenators should be paid same as Doctors as like a burger flipper should get the same pay as a Attorney.
                            Oh perhaps this - before you espouse on the finer points of economics, you pass a fifth grade grammar class.

Comment

Oh perhaps this - before you espouse on the finer points of economics, you pass a fifth grade grammar class.
                              The nazi is working overtime how bout you go a blow your brother when you finished with your daddy

Comment

I actuly like pepole like you cause allo i clean septic tanks for a living your folosity is i should be making the same money as profesinal soccer player yep i agree whats revennew got to do with any thin fairs fair

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X