Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm guessing he's no older than middle school. Just wait for the burnout and injuries to start to rack up. It's coming. My kids had almost no injuries until HS, then BOOM, loads of injuries for them and teammates. My oldest, who played basketball into college, struggled after a 2nd ACL injury ended his career and he had to redefine who he was. Balance, physical and emotional.
    He's in high school. We made sure he played other sports and took plenty of offseason rest until his body developed. Now he keeps an even balance between hydration/nutrition, flexibility, strength and conditioning that is equal to the time he puts in to soccer.

Comment

He's in high school. We made sure he played other sports and took plenty of offseason rest until his body developed. Now he keeps an even balance between hydration/nutrition, flexibility, strength and conditioning that is equal to the time he puts in to soccer.
      When is your kid joining the USMNT?

Comment

Jealous much? The poster has a kid who's found a passion and you want to crap on him for it? Kids develop all kinds of interests and passions. Sports. Dance. Gaming. Skiing. Robotics. This kid happens to love soccer. I missed the part where his parents think he's heading to the national team. Maybe they're just happy to support his interests.

Sounds like maybe you have a kid that lost interest early and you miss the good old days. Too bad. Doesn't mean this kid is headed for burnout or injury. Let people enjoy things.

Comment

If I push my kid then I am burning him out. If I support him and give him resources to be healthy then I am a delusional parent who thinks my kids is going to the USMNT. Give me a break. Just trying to be encouraging and very happy that he has a passion...even if it only lasts a few years.

Comment

Good to slow it down over the summer, but a couple of camps over those few months to keep your touch up is a good thing.

Comment

If I push my kid then I am burning him out. If I support him and give him resources to be healthy then I am a delusional parent who thinks my kids is going to the USMNT. Give me a break. Just trying to be encouraging and very happy that he has a passion...even if it only lasts a few years.
              Are you new to TS? Your skin is too thin to be a regular. Only aholes post here.

Comment

I signed my daughter up for this camp: https://www.baystateelitesocceracade...lege-camp.html

I thought the price was reasonable, good coaches, not to far from home

Comment

You can also go to that one
                  http://fcpumasocceracademy.com
                  It is run by the DA/NPL coaches from NEFC.
                  My kid did it and really enjoy it.

Comment

Holy crap - guy asked for soccer camp reco and everyone on here becomes parents of the year lol just answer the question. BC has a good one, WPI is a blend of soccer and fun and they have a pool, Nefc residential, fc puma camp, uri used to have a good one, Stars runs a day camp if you want to die in the sun with no shade all day

Comment

If he’s serious and enjoys pressure training, Nike Vogelsinger Soccer Academy. There are boarding options. It’s not a fluffy, campfire, singalong place. They start with fitness at 6:30am and finish with games at 7pm with a whole camp review at 8pm. During the day there are classroom sessions on strategy and various drills. A fair number of international kids fly in for this camp so that’s also good exposure. Coaches are well qualified.

Comment

Depending on age spend the summer prepping for SAT/ACT. That matters more. Just let him play pickup games and practice in the yard. Do some conditioning work but use the summer to do other things. It's better physically and mentally. If he's driven he'll do it without prodding. If he isn't self motivated then the test scores will matter even more.
                        This. D is a rising sophomore and the only soccer we're doing are a few College ID camps for local colleges she is interested in attending. The rules changed such that come June 15 after sophomore year, college coaches can contact players. For most female D1 prospects, the recruiting process really starts summer after their freshmen year.

We'll focus on strength and conditioning, fitness in preparation for HS soccer, some 1on1 training to improve in specific technical areas of her game, but no organized soccer beyond the ID camps. She is also taking Geometry this summer so she can take Algebra II as a sophomore and be on track for AP Calculus down the road.

The last thing I would do with a HS player is a random soccer summer camp. Burnout is real and it will hit when you least expect it. Overuse injuries are always a threat. Best way to minimize both is to have a few months of down time. Doesn't mean they don't touch a soccer ball if they want to, just keep it low key.

Comment

The best soccer camps are those that run only 1.5-2.5 hours each day, especially if they demand a high level of intensity. The full day/residential camps end up wasting a lot of time (and parents' money) with quite a few intermittent rest periods, or less intense sessions, so that the kids can handle 4-5 days straight of playing. That's fine if your kid is looking for an experience away from home for the summer and to socialize with friends, but they might get even more out of the experience from a camp that offers all kinds of activities that they've never done before, such as at a traditional camp. Unfortunately, you have to look really hard to find the more worthwhile (from a soccer standpoint) clinic-type soccer camps for higher level players.

Comment

The best soccer camps are those that run only 1.5-2.5 hours each day, especially if they demand a high level of intensity. The full day/residential camps end up wasting a lot of time (and parents' money) with quite a few intermittent rest periods, or less intense sessions, so that the kids can handle 4-5 days straight of playing. That's fine if your kid is looking for an experience away from home for the summer and to socialize with friends, but they might get even more out of the experience from a camp that offers all kinds of activities that they've never done before, such as at a traditional camp. Unfortunately, you have to look really hard to find the more worthwhile (from a soccer standpoint) clinic-type soccer camps for higher level players.
                            Or your $ may go to better use hiring a trainer to work on specific things. Split the cost with a few families to make your $ go further

Comment

Or your $ may go to better use hiring a trainer to work on specific things. Split the cost with a few families to make your $ go further
                              That's what we're doing. Between summer work for next year, a long family trip, workouts and a part time job, mine doesn't have much time for days long camp. Before you know it they're back in high school pre season

Comment

What works for one doesn’t work for another. I’m not pushing him and we are working in different non-soccer workouts and activities. Last year we had him take two weeks off at a non-soccer summer camp. If he doesn’t want to practice we skip. Real simple. If he wanted to quit then I would support that also. But he wants to play over the summer. Not a big deal.
                                Parent your own child. You could I have investigated this yourself. You got no answers from this site so why are you continuously coming back. All you will get are the “experts”. Parent your child

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X