Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer Soccer Camp recommendations?

Anybody have any good soccer summer camp suggestions for Girls U13-U15?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Where you live? How much you wanna spend?

Comment

Central/west; 500 or preferably less

Comment

My advice is take the summer off. Go to the beach and relax. My kid (now U17) has played way too much soccer. Overuse injuries setting in and the stress of picking what college to commit to is driving the love of soccer away. If needed do some other type of training (strength and conditioning). Too much soccer is no good. I wish we could do it over again.

Comment

My advice is take the summer off. Go to the beach and relax. My kid (now U17) has played way too much soccer. Overuse injuries setting in and the stress of picking what college to commit to is driving the love of soccer away. If needed do some other type of training (strength and conditioning). Too much soccer is no good. I wish we could do it over again.
          That's depressing.

My kid is upset that the season is over (lost in the state cup) and that he has to wait for the fall season. We signed up for camps and coaching to keep up with his interest in playing.

If your kid loves to play then keep it going. I would agree that a break from repetitive soccer training and a switch to other types of training can be beneficial to a young athlete.

Comment

Pretty much every town soccer program has a summer camp. The big clubs (NEFC, etc.) run residential camps. There is also District Select league run by MYSA that plays summer games.

Comment

Send him to Math camp. You need to prepare him for the top prize in club soccer - an Academic D3

Comment

A different sport or acivity would be better. Change it up a little. Dont be a one trick pony.

Comment

Send him to Math camp. You need to prepare him for the top prize in club soccer - an Academic D3

I don't know if you are joking or not, but that is a great idea. Better yet, include a tech or robotics camp. While you may or may not realize it, but these camps are a blast and the child does stuff that they might never get to do otherwise....and might even find an interest that they really like and excel at. More so, these activities are as or more likely to help get your kid into a school than soccer.

Comment

Depending on age spend the summer prepping for SAT/ACT. That matters more. Just let him play pickup games and practice in the yard. Do some conditioning work but use the summer to do other things. It's better physically and mentally. If he's driven he'll do it without prodding. If he isn't self motivated then the test scores will matter even more.

Comment

That's depressing.

My kid is upset that the season is over (lost in the state cup) and that he has to wait for the fall season. We signed up for camps and coaching to keep up with his interest in playing.

If your kid loves to play then keep it going. I would agree that a break from repetitive soccer training and a switch to other types of training can be beneficial to a young athlete.
                      I see burn out coming your way fast.

Comment

I see burn out coming your way fast.
                        You’re A dope. Kid lives to play and doesn’t want to stop. I have to reign him in to do other activities. If someone loves to do something why would I stop him? I do everything I can to introduce new activities/sports but this is what makes him happy.

Comment

Sorry, but the other poster is right. Keep doing what you are doing and there's a very high likelihood of burnout. I've got a high school boy and so many of the all in, soccer year round kids have quit, much to the disappointment of their parents.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. What worked for our family (every family is different) is taking the summer off from all organized soccer. My son played in the yard, and in some pick up games, but no training, no organized teams. Worked for us.

Comment

Sorry, but the other poster is right. Keep doing what you are doing and there's a very high likelihood of burnout. I've got a high school boy and so many of the all in, soccer year round kids have quit, much to the disappointment of their parents.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. What worked for our family (every family is different) is taking the summer off from all organized soccer. My son played in the yard, and in some pick up games, but no training, no organized teams. Worked for us.
                            What works for one doesn’t work for another. I’m not pushing him and we are working in different non-soccer workouts and activities. Last year we had him take two weeks off at a non-soccer summer camp. If he doesn’t want to practice we skip. Real simple. If he wanted to quit then I would support that also. But he wants to play over the summer. Not a big deal.

Comment

What works for one doesn’t work for another. I’m not pushing him and we are working in different non-soccer workouts and activities. Last year we had him take two weeks off at a non-soccer summer camp. If he doesn’t want to practice we skip. Real simple. If he wanted to quit then I would support that also. But he wants to play over the summer. Not a big deal.
                              I'm guessing he's no older than middle school. Just wait for the burnout and injuries to start to rack up. It's coming. My kids had almost no injuries until HS, then BOOM, loads of injuries for them and teammates. My oldest, who played basketball into college, struggled after a 2nd ACL injury ended his career and he had to redefine who he was. Balance, physical and emotional.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X