Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to expect @U13 this fall

This is our 2nd full year at club, it's been fabulous! Development! Friends! And most importantly, FUN! Our player & my wife & I love it! So, what to expect this fall. We've heard others say the move to 11v11 is a game changer. We would assume it is also a big learning year? Might this be a make or break year? And fyi, not a top team player

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is our 2nd full year at club, it's been fabulous! Development! Friends! And most importantly, FUN! Our player & my wife & I love it! So, what to expect this fall. We've heard others say the move to 11v11 is a game changer. We would assume it is also a big learning year? Might this be a make or break year? And fyi, not a top team player
    Shoot high; most goalies can't touch the bar yet.

Comment

youre way too happy.

Comment

youre way too happy.
        That will change. The first year at 11v11 is like The Hunger Games. By this time next year they’ll be crusading against (insert club name here).

Comment

Shoot high; most goalies can't touch the bar yet.
          We’re also going to 11x11 and our player is a GK.... Going to be rough.

Comment

We’re also going to 11x11 and our player is a GK.... Going to be rough.
            I feel for them. Especially since kids are still learning to drive the ball so most shots have a decent arc to them. That makes it even more difficult for the keepers.

Comment

The field is literally twice the size which places a premium on endurance as well as limiting the effectiveness of kick and run. The teams that simply relied on kicking the ball over the top to a striker that only had to run 10 or 20 yards to take a shot are going to struggle.

The goals are also 30% bigger as well as a much bigger penalty box which is going to be a real challenged to your shorter and less mobile keepers.

Comment

Most important thing, THE MOST important thing.
                Start a List

Comment

Parents have to scream much louder as the kids and referees are further away.

Comment

Puberty can be good or bad depending on your genes. Transition into junior high is another hurdle. Beyond the physical/social, 11v11 is really where developing a good soccer IQ kicks in. You need to be able to read the field and be on the spot. Good luck and enjoy it while it lasts!

Comment

Op, I believe we are lucky because all the players at our player's age group, (as well as 2yrs younger & 2yrs older, sometimes top teams too), practice together/mixed up all year long. So the jump to 11v11 will most certainly require a shake up from the former 9v9 team that our player is used too. Since friendships/bonding/familiarity has been well established with all players in the club, no matter what 11v11 teams are formed this autumn, our player will know most, if not all, prospective teammates. We've talked with other parents from other clubs & have learned that there seems to be very little "cross over" with same age teams within their club. Again, we feel our club's "one big team" tactic seems to be very beneficial.

Comment

Moving to 11v11 + puberty + middle school = big changes. The good news is the OP (if genuine) doesn't have crazy expectations that his 11 year old superstar will continue to be one. Enjoy it while it lasts. If they're still playing by HS and simply enjoying it, it's a win.

Comment

Keep your expectations low and you won't be disappointed.

Comment

Have your player do squats. Lots of them. That #5 ball is a monster.

Comment

Any sense of traditional roster sizes going forward? We just got ours... 19 players with 17 field players. Seven subs for field players feels like a lot.

Also, how long are the games at U13.... 35 min?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X