Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A different take on the HS debate

We see all sorts of arguments for and against HS soccer. For arguments sake lets concede that HS soccer is still the goal for 99% of the kids. Does it make sense for the HS system to support JV soccer? Would the non-varsity freshmen and sophmores be better served staying in the club environment? Would coaches be open to a future varsity player taking a pass on JV in 9th or 10th grade? I think if a kid is good enough to play varsity they should not skip playing in HS. I struggle making the same argument for the JV team. Treat the HS team like a call up to play for your country, if not stay with your club until you get the call.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    We see all sorts of arguments for and against HS soccer. For arguments sake lets concede that HS soccer is still the goal for 99% of the kids. Does it make sense for the HS system to support JV soccer? Would the non-varsity freshmen and sophmores be better served staying in the club environment? Would coaches be open to a future varsity player taking a pass on JV in 9th or 10th grade? I think if a kid is good enough to play varsity they should not skip playing in HS. I struggle making the same argument for the JV team. Treat the HS team like a call up to play for your country, if not stay with your club until you get the call.
    What about smaller, more rural HS's that do not have a ton of club players? Plus, why should the families of kids who dont make varsity be forced to pay $2000+ per year to train their kid to hopefully make varsity somewhere down the line. Most kids would just run cross country or do another fall sport or club in the school. This would be the end of many smaller HS programs with in a few years as they would never get the players back.

Comment

Absolutely ridiculous (and illegal) idea to require weaker or younger high school kids to play club soccer. The goal of HS sports from an administration's stand point is to keep kids busy, physically active, build community etc. That includes JV level. Their goal is not to build the nation's soccer players. Some of our better players at our medium sized school are LAX and track studs who also happen to be good soccer players too. They just haven't played it since maybe 7th or 8th grade. They beat out many club players for spots - which also brings up the point that not all clubs are quality clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Absolutely ridiculous (and illegal) idea to require weaker or younger high school kids to play club soccer. The goal of HS sports from an administration's stand point is to keep kids busy, physically active, build community etc. That includes JV level. Their goal is not to build the nation's soccer players. Some of our better players at our medium sized school are LAX and track studs who also happen to be good soccer players too. They just haven't played it since maybe 7th or 8th grade. They beat out many club players for spots - which also brings up the point that not all clubs are quality clubs.
        I don't think the OP said anything about forcing kids to play club sports and there are no laws saying districts have to provide JV sports. Districts don't have to offer any sports or any other extracurricular activites.

The post is thought provoking so I willl take a stab..

Does it make sense for the HS system to support JV soccer? Yes but see next answer

Would the non-varsity freshmen and sophmores be better served staying in the club environment? YES, if the training is better and they are getting in games

Would coaches be open to a future varsity player taking a pass on JV in 9th or 10th grade? NO, coaches will take this as a slight to them personally.

Comment

Is HS soccer just for fun or is it very competitive?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X