Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I know they're north of the border but if ever anyone needs proof that league doesn't matter as much as you hope, watch Seacoast United. GDA teams are awful, NPL teams are awful. If their GDA teams moved back to NPL and their NPL teams moved back to NEP premiership, they've got a decent program that serves the market that they actually exist in. The league didn't turn NPL players into GDA players.
    You mean like Yankee United playing in the “top” Npl division with a -33 goal differential in 4 games?

Comment

You mean like Yankee United playing in the “top” Npl division with a -33 goal differential in 4 games?
      So your top 8 MA teams at this point are probably:

1. NEFC
      2-4 (in some order) FC Stars Blue, Scorpions, Select
      5.-8. (in some order) FC Stars White, Aztec, SOL & GPS Elite Red

Comment

So your top 8 MA teams at this point are probably:

1. NEFC
        2-4 (in some order) FC Stars Blue, Scorpions, Select
        5.-8. (in some order) FC Stars White, Aztec, SOL & GPS Elite Red
        Scorpions - No.
        Aztec and GPS would beat that pathetic excuse for an ecnl club

Comment

I know they're north of the border but if ever anyone needs proof that league doesn't matter as much as you hope, watch Seacoast United. GDA teams are awful, NPL teams are awful. If their GDA teams moved back to NPL and their NPL teams moved back to NEP premiership, they've got a decent program that serves the market that they actually exist in. The league didn't turn NPL players into GDA players.
          Preach brother

Comment

That argument would hold a lot more water if you didn't have posters on here saying that NPL players are always going to be worse than ECNL and GDA players. Those who refuse to accept that most of the rosters are interchangeable and it's the one or two playmakers that make the actual difference. Seems like they're the ones "obsessed" with that patch.
            This is very true at some age groups, but not others, and some clubs and not others. First instance over at NEFC, where the DA team is “first” team, and NPL is
            “Second” team it varies age group to age group. For instance, the 2006 and 2007 teams are new to DA this year so most of the top players within their regional teams decided to move up to DA and try it out before they hit high school. The NPL teams are now definitely weaker across the board. But at the 2004 team started off that way, and then a VERY LARGE group of DA players decided on their own to return to NPL team once they hit HS age. They literally offered DA spots at one time or another to more than 1/2 that NPL team who turned it down, and now they have to recruit new players from outside the club and often from the NPL tryouts. Other than a few studs on that team (who are mostly all on waivers in the fall), the rest of that DA team is not as strong as their NPL team. That is also why you see coaches using top 05 players on the roster to help too. SSS is new to DA, and they couldn’t even get enough 03 and 01/02’s to convert, so they do not even have DA teams at that age, so they are still NPL only at older age groups. I suspect that when the middle school aged DA teams hit HS, the same fluctuations will occur again with many players opting out and back to NPL as long as their NPL team is strong enough.

Bottom line it’s hit or miss depending on age group and club, and you cannot definitively say that other than the top studs, the DA rosters are any stronger than the strong NPL teams. This is what happens when you try to split the top of soccer pie too many ways.

Comment

This is very true at some age groups, but not others, and some clubs and not others. First instance over at NEFC, where the DA team is “first” team, and NPL is
              “Second” team it varies age group to age group. For instance, the 2006 and 2007 teams are new to DA this year so most of the top players within their regional teams decided to move up to DA and try it out before they hit high school. The NPL teams are now definitely weaker across the board. But at the 2004 team started off that way, and then a VERY LARGE group of DA players decided on their own to return to NPL team once they hit HS age. They literally offered DA spots at one time or another to more than 1/2 that NPL team who turned it down, and now they have to recruit new players from outside the club and often from the NPL tryouts. Other than a few studs on that team (who are mostly all on waivers in the fall), the rest of that DA team is not as strong as their NPL team. That is also why you see coaches using top 05 players on the roster to help too. SSS is new to DA, and they couldn’t even get enough 03 and 01/02’s to convert, so they do not even have DA teams at that age, so they are still NPL only at older age groups. I suspect that when the middle school aged DA teams hit HS, the same fluctuations will occur again with many players opting out and back to NPL as long as their NPL team is strong enough.

Bottom line it’s hit or miss depending on age group and club, and you cannot definitively say that other than the top studs, the DA rosters are any stronger than the strong NPL teams. This is what happens when you try to split the top of soccer pie too many ways.
              If NEFC is having that problem (of half its top kids not wanting DA at the high school age) i'm sure Select will as well as the current 06/07 teams become high school age. Begs the question, why put your clubs in DA? NPL was working fine for both NEFC & Select.

Comment

If NEFC is having that problem (of half its top kids not wanting DA at the high school age) i'm sure Select will as well as the current 06/07 teams become high school age. Begs the question, why put your clubs in DA? NPL was working fine for both NEFC & Select.
                Depends on what your goals are to have it be considered "fine".

Comment

Only at some of the age groups. They got a vast majority of top players to go to the DA at the 00 (now graduated) 01 (some graduated) and 02 age groups. Less so at 03 and definitely a lot less so at 04. I think it’s the kids who try DA in MS and decided it’s not worth the sacrifice once they hit HS where you will see the most migration back. The older kids never had those “test” ms years and they had been with those same teammates for a lot longer. It was easier for them to just play DA for a year or two and finish off their youth soccer experience that way. Smart that SSS decided to not even try to form teams at those ages. Those kids resisted, and USSFDA decided to let them thwart the “team at every age group” rule just to get them in.

Comment

Depends on what your goals are to have it be considered "fine".
                    “Fine” for us was getting daughters recruited to play mid tier D1 in college.

Comment

Smart that SSS decided to not even try to form teams at those ages. Those kids resisted, and USSFDA decided to let them thwart the “team at every age group” rule just to get them in.
                      Too many strong HS programs on the south shore for the current crop of Select 2006 & 2007 kids to fall in line and all agree to play DA. Lot of the girls in those two age groups will either opt for NPL at Select or more likely, leave the club all together.

Comment

“Fine” for us was getting daughters recruited to play mid tier D1 in college.

Always possible. Harder today than a few years back, but I know of NPL players who are at the top D1 women's soccer schools in the country.

I also know that in my recruiting discussions today, every coach spoken to has said they need to be playing in ECNL or DA. They won't ever turn their nose up at anyone, but those leagues get the first looks.

Comment

Only at some of the age groups. They got a vast majority of top players to go to the DA at the 00 (now graduated) 01 (some graduated) and 02 age groups. Less so at 03 and definitely a lot less so at 04. I think it’s the kids who try DA in MS and decided it’s not worth the sacrifice once they hit HS where you will see the most migration back. The older kids never had those “test” ms years and they had been with those same teammates for a lot longer. It was easier for them to just play DA for a year or two and finish off their youth soccer experience that way. Smart that SSS decided to not even try to form teams at those ages. Those kids resisted, and USSFDA decided to let them thwart the “team at every age group” rule just to get them in.
                          Exactly. It was always going to be a very hard sell by the Clubs to get kids already in school to give it up. Some did, but they acknowledge there will be shortcomings. Can't really judge it's effectiveness until after the 04, 05 groups go through a full cycle.

Not for nothing, but DA has been cracking down on those skirting the rules by suspending players. Where that takes them in the long run will be curious.

Comment

Always possible. Harder today than a few years back, but I know of NPL players who are at the top D1 women's soccer schools in the country.

I also know that in my recruiting discussions today, every coach spoken to has said they need to be playing in ECNL or DA. They won't ever turn their nose up at anyone, but those leagues get the first looks.
                            I am talking about today. And yes, the NPL showcases are not as well attended by D1 coaches so attending ID Clinics are crucial. Everyone knows this. But if your kid is a top league talent who cannot participate in a top league (for whatever reason you choose), you can still get recruited by D1 schools. The funny thing is that many DA/ECNL players choose to play D3 anyway, so really in the end, it’s about the talent and the individual players desires, NOT THE LEAGUE. Only people with agendas will keep selling that story. As I always said, if you have the means and the talent to be on a DA/ECNL team and you can handle the sacrifice l, have at it! It certainly will make college recruiting a tad easier. But for a vast majority of us, it’s not really easily feasible, even though the talent is there. So NPL works better and the endgame is still achieved, just down a different path.

Comment

They may not be stronger, as far as team records go. For the serious soccer players , with real talent and high aspirations, they are putting themselves in a better individual position by playing DA or ECNL. Way more exposure, competition, and training. Their teams record from year to year, will not make make or break their soccer path. Their training , exposure, and competition level will. Most kids, won’t play soccer beyond high school or college, so the level for them isn’t as important.

Comment

I am talking about today. And yes, the NPL showcases are not as well attended by D1 coaches so attending ID Clinics are crucial. Everyone knows this. But if your kid is a top league talent who cannot participate in a top league (for whatever reason you choose), you can still get recruited by D1 schools. The funny thing is that many DA/ECNL players choose to play D3 anyway, so really in the end, it’s about the talent and the individual players desires, NOT THE LEAGUE. Only people with agendas will keep selling that story. As I always said, if you have the means and the talent to be on a DA/ECNL team and you can handle the sacrifice l, have at it! It certainly will make college recruiting a tad easier. But for a vast majority of us, it’s not really easily feasible, even though the talent is there. So NPL works better and the endgame is still achieved, just down a different path.
                                Agreed. Like I said, harder, but nowhere near impossible. Nobody should feel they HAVE to go that route if logistics/finances can't support it. As I mentioned there are players playing for the top teams in the country who didn't.

Talent will always be found. It may be harder, but I'll never speak in absolutes that you must do one thing or the other.

I'm just passing what we've been told many, many times.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X