Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.S. Soccer’s Girls Development Academy’s impact on high school players is causing a

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U.S. Soccer’s Girls Development Academy’s impact on high school players is causing a

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/1...school-soccer/

Great...a fresh new topic to beat to death, again.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      and it's a very local take. Like real estate it depends on location. Dust isn't close to settling yet.

Comment

Untrue, it is a fresh post at the end of the unsuccessful inaugural year of GDA and it address most of the questions many of us had going in. The unknowns, the opinions, the predictions now have some fact and it is great to see this article questioning the direction of US Soccer. I wish it had gone one step further because it doesn't point out that in its pursuit of less than 30 national team players other high quality players are falling by the wayside due to the format.

Thanks to whomever shared this article. I, for one, am glad to see that our local issue is truly nationwide and hope some resolution comes of it in the best interest of girl's soccer.

Comment

This is simple. My daughter plays DA and plays HS. She just took the HS months off her DA team. What I have seen is more injuries with DA. Ecnl was way better. More showcases. Less team training days and you can enjoy HS sports. DA competition is top notch but so was ECNL last season. I do like that DA films every game so your college coaches can tune in and watch and they do! I also like that the training/coaching is better. At least for my daughters team.

Comment

Untrue, it is a fresh post at the end of the unsuccessful inaugural year of GDA and it address most of the questions many of us had going in. The unknowns, the opinions, the predictions now have some fact and it is great to see this article questioning the direction of US Soccer. I wish it had gone one step further because it doesn't point out that in its pursuit of less than 30 national team players other high quality players are falling by the wayside due to the format.

Thanks to whomever shared this article. I, for one, am glad to see that our local issue is truly nationwide and hope some resolution comes of it in the best interest of girl's soccer.
            do you not have your own free will to chose to do what you want? nobody is making anyone not play HS soccer

if you don't like the rules as they are laid out for gda then play encl or travel soccer. simple really.

Comment

do you not have your own free will to chose to do what you want? nobody is making anyone not play HS soccer

if you don't like the rules as they are laid out for gda then play encl or travel soccer. simple really.
              100% true. Enough people did this then US soccer would be forced to change due to market pressures.

Comment

This is simple. My daughter plays DA and plays HS. She just took the HS months off her DA team. What I have seen is more injuries with DA. Ecnl was way better. More showcases. Less team training days and you can enjoy HS sports. DA competition is top notch but so was ECNL last season. I do like that DA films every game so your college coaches can tune in and watch and they do! I also like that the training/coaching is better. At least for my daughters team.
                Soon enough most.kids won't be allowed to play HS. That's when the rubber hits the road.

Comment

Soon enough most.kids won't be allowed to play HS. That's when the rubber hits the road.
                  I've started warning those with younger kids to start focusing on other sports (if asked my opinion)... Unfortunately, the people running these organizations seem to have no idea what they are doing. I understand that HS is not the end all, be all of competition, but it helps grow the sport... involves the community, team camaraderie, etc. These kids aren't going anywhere with soccer long term we need to admit that and allow them to play HS, have fun, etc... Really, it's a mess! The problem is too much money involved at this point.

Comment

high school isn't the only itsue with GDA. GDA is about finding the top girls for the national team and that's not about developing all the top girls. The picture is much bigger than just if your daughter can play HS soccer. All the rules like subbing, playtime, practices, limited showcases all need to be evaluated. Keep DA but with ECNL format and rules

Comment

high school isn't the only itsue with GDA. GDA is about finding the top girls for the national team and that's not about developing all the top girls. The picture is much bigger than just if your daughter can play HS soccer. All the rules like subbing, playtime, practices, limited showcases all need to be evaluated. Keep DA but with ECNL format and rules
                      Improve ECNl and leave DA for the country's top 5%. That's what is needed. Why force thousands of boys and girls into a system that doesn't care about them, nor do they care about going pro or ever making the NT. Prep them for college, let them play HS sports. Let the MLS clubs and USSF focus on the top talent scouting ECNL and elsewhere.

Comment

Improve ECNl and leave DA for the country's top 5%. That's what is needed. Why force thousands of boys and girls into a system that doesn't care about them, nor do they care about going pro or ever making the NT. Prep them for college, let them play HS sports. Let the MLS clubs and USSF focus on the top talent scouting ECNL and elsewhere.
                        Good point. Improve ECNL. Expand ECNL in Florida to the south and northwest Florida. DA needs to stay its course and not try to be like ECNL by allowing high school soccer and adopting the same rules as ECNL. Our daughter will not do DA knowing it is sugar coated ECNL with no consistent standards about high school and more. If DA was the top 5% national team like training and opportunities, then she'd do it over ECNL and high school.

Comment

The top 5% isn't concentrated in one location to make sense and you don't need to cater to just them. The cream always rises to the top, but if you "separate" talent you only dilute it for everyone. Also, kids develop at different rates so separation is not the answer.

Comment

The top 5% isn't concentrated in one location to make sense and you don't need to cater to just them. The cream always rises to the top, but if you "separate" talent you only dilute it for everyone. Also, kids develop at different rates so separation is not the answer.
                            It is more about continually identifying talent and giving those players high level, more intensive training. The U.S. Soccer Centers was a good concept with identified players training together with high licensed coaches but the players needed to train together more than once a month.

Comment

Still sounds like a bunch of HS coaches whining because they lost players. The paragraph I took not of is the CHSSA head stating that in the end, HS may end up better because of the parity created between 5a and 4a and the same few schools won't be dominating any longer.

Play DA, don't play DA. Your kids choice. If ECNL works better for you, stay there. It will remain a viable league for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X